Canadiandynamite's sprites

Canadian Dynamite

Hey everybody, I'm Canadiandynamite. I've been spriting for quite a few years(mostly Pokémon)but I've done Fire Emblem spriting on an off again for two or three years, not that it matters. Just a little background info. Any and all critiques are welcome, no matter how harsh. Hell, cuss me out of you want. At least I'll learn how to improve.wink.gif I'm basically spriting the entire cast of Sacred Stones right now, plus a few of my own characters. They're all going to be three years older than they were in Sacred Stones. It's hard for me to label what's custom and what's not, I pretty much mix & match and try to blend well. I'm sure a discerning eye can notice what is and isn't custom.

Franz.png

Franz, of course. I wanted to give him more unique armor, but I haven't gotten too good at FC yet. It's mostly a custom of Lowen and Franz.

Seth.png

Seth. I used Bernard's armor and Harken's face, although I changed it a lot when I realized it didn't match up with the size of Seth's face. Hair is partly custom.

Veddan.png

Danved, or as I like to call him, Vadden. The head and face is completely custom, down to the ears. The rest of it isn't.

felixagain.png

Felix, an axefighter. Most of him is custom, sans the ear and hair. The cape was pretty tricky.

Again, have at you, spriters! I'm prepared to do whatever editing you think is necessary, no matter how huge. That's the way of a spriter.

Edited by Canadian Dynamite

Call me silly; but...

I think you need to kinda stick to splicing. *points at the customs*

Edited by Frostbite

Call me silly; but...

I think you need to kinda stick to splicing. *points at the customs*

Haha, well thanks for the truthful words. I kinda feel ashamed of my customs now that you've said that. Not that I want to give up. I'd rather have you tell me what to fix, though. NewYearsEmoticon.gif

You want honesty? Go back to splicing. It would take way too much work to fix these customs as the are now. And before you ask: yes, they are that bad.

Franz has flat hair and a mangled jawline, Seth has tubes for his hair and a horse face, Devdan has a super squished skull, and Felix is probably the worst one there. His face is all sorts of messed up.

So, being honest?

Splice :E

It'll seriously be easier for you to learn to splice super well before customing. Trust me; I did the same thing.

Hey it's Seph!<3I'm a lurker, so I know all about all you guys. I was hoping you'd show up. Thank you for all the advice. You're right, I need to splice more before I'll get better. I'd fix those sprites now out of shame, but I'd rather do it one at a time anyways. Nobody ever improved without practice.Edit:What about the armor? Is it badly spliced? Just curious.

Full-customing isn't my forte sadly.

I prefer making splices to look like they're not splices. *Has already red the advanced splicing tutorial thing*

Also; if you want to grind your skills to the finest; the splicing contests exists allowing people to experiment in many things.

Hence, splice until you're ready to face the FC-ing.

Yeah, I saw the splicing contest. I'll definitely enter next week's. Funny how I'm good at criticizing other people's sprites but it takes a second opinion from somebody for me to notice some of my errors. Heh.

EDIT:

Is it just me, or are bad guys funner to sprite? I was bored tonight so I ended up doing a bandit splice. And no, it's not custom. : P Let me know if it has any issues.

bandit1.png

Hey it's Seph!<3I'm a lurker, so I know all about all you guys. I was hoping you'd show up. Thank you for all the advice. You're right, I need to splice more before I'll get better. I'd fix those sprites now out of shame, but I'd rather do it one at a time anyways. Nobody ever improved without practice.Edit:What about the armor? Is it badly spliced? Just curious.

Thanks? I guess?

I guess the armor's okay? . 3 .

Seth's is alright, but Devdan's is pretty messy. Franz's armor has something's going on with the collar.

And your bandit sprite has a rather jagged jawline. q3mt.png

I would suggest smoothing it out. Ugly or not, don't break his face ~ ' 3'~

Not to mention making the shoulder plate NOT slipping off his arm, or make his hair seemingly extend beyond his head, unless he has one of those stupid skrillex haircuts or whatever that shit's called. Blending the facial tones could use some work, along with touching up those eyebrows.

@Seph Yeah, I agree with you there. It's a shame it'll be awhile before I fix some of their armour. Thanks for the legitimate help though, bro. ;P

@sigma:I took all your suggestions to heart, too, although the thing with the bandit's hair is I used Dory's hair, so I'm pretty sure it just looks like that. (unless I didn't splice it correctly...)

BEFORE:bandit1.pngAFTER:bandittaketwo.png

I'm still not satisfied with it, but I figured I changed enough for some new crit. I used a different shoulder guard.

The line on his face which I assume is cheekbone definition doesn't make a lot of sense. Also the scar on the forehead could blend a little better.

Also, I checked the hair, like I said, the extra little strand to the left balances it a lot better.

bandittaketwo-1.png

I tried to fix the scar, I'm not sure how I did. I used Gerik as a reference. I got rid of some extraneous details and tried to fix the cheekbone, but to little success. I added a bit to the hair, as well. Thanks for the input.

EDIT:I know I could bump if I wanted to, but I have the decency not to. Behold. I used Wolt, Wil, Glen, Raven and Matthew for this splice. It's not perfect but I think it's a vast improvement from my "custom" sprite of Felix.<br><br>felixsplice.png<br>

Instead of just trying full customs straight out you can do what I did occasionally and draw a base from an existing sprite with nothing but the chin shape and maybe makers for the features (although I added the features without the Renaults face below).

dsgcustomdrawnface.png

[spoiler=Finish Product]

dsgthief.png

Then you'll actually be practicing how to draw and shade your own stuff without doing some of the hardest parts of a custom, proportions. Then when you feel comfortable enough move on to building you're own bases.

Edited by Khrene Cleaver

Instead of just trying full customs straight out you can do what I did occasionally and draw a base from an existing sprite with nothing but the chin shape and maybe makers for the features (although I added the features without the Renaults face below).

dsgcustomdrawnface.png

[spoiler=Finish Product]

dsgthief.png

Then you'll actually be practicing how to draw and shade your own stuff without doing some of the hardest parts of a custom, proportions. Then when you feel comfortable enough move on to building you're own bases.

Haha, thanks for the suggestion. These aren't my first sprites, by the way. I just wanted to say I didn't jump right through to customing, when I started spriting Fire Emblem years ago. I eased into it, not to say I'm good, but I haven't jumped in perse. That's kinda actually what I did already and they still ended up being bad, though.

What I'm saying is jump in a bit. So what your shots will be bad? Take a little time tweak a couple things. Redraw the cheek from the face if it looks wonky, move up the forehead with the selection tool if hairline is looking a a tad low. And if you have trouble pin pointing if somethings wrong mirror the image real fast and give it another once over; thats one of the beauties of pixel art its so readily changeable!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I got a few new sprites to show. They're not perfect, but what the hey. Also, thank you for all the advice, Khrene. You seem very kind. I like tweaking things now and then myself, even when it's not noticeable.

felixdaddy.png

First is Felix's father, who I've yet to give a name.

Selena.png

And as you can see, Selena.

Alright, not sure if it's against the rules, throwing caution out the window. Bump time.

Davis.png

Davis, a tiny little archer. I first posted this guy on /vg/.

And Felix, with a nifty new pauldron.

felixcape.png

Plus, another colour combo I like more, but it's always nice to get opinions.

felixcapeversiontwo.png