Arena Abuse

Aran613

I've counted a lot of stats of hthe enemies Lyn encounters while Arena Abusing.... I gave her one Angelic robe, and she has 40 H.P. total, unpromoted.

I'm wondering how I encountered a mercenary that Lyn can not double (when she has maxed speed) along with 66 HP, and a fighter that could hit ridiculously high past her 8 defense with 55 H.P, then Legault encountering a 55 H.P. Knight that he couldn't double.... WHY FE WHY?!

Also, shouldn't they remove 1RKOs from it? I just had a pirate double Heath and kill him in one round... I don't mean like criticals, I mean being killed in one round. Heath's speed isn't ridiculously slow....

The enemy stats are actually based on the stats of the unit that enter it. So, regardless of whether your unit is capped or not, you'll find enemies that have speed enough to double them and stats beyond normal caps.

Here's an odd question: Do arena enemies take weapon stat boosts into account? While +5 to a single stat may not affect too much, it is really noticeable in hacks like ChinaFE; Cellica and Eirika equipped with the Falchion (which adds Str+20, Skl+10, Def+5, Res+5) can just breeze through any opponent in the arena.

Here's an odd question: Do arena enemies take weapon stat boosts into account? While +5 to a single stat may not affect too much, it is really noticeable in hacks like ChinaFE; Cellica and Eirika equipped with the Falchion (which adds Str+20, Skl+10, Def+5, Res+5) can just breeze through any opponent in the arena.

From what I've seen in the RAM... I haven't actually LOOKED at it thoroughly, but from what I observed, it's based on the base stats you have in the unit array for the one entering the arena.

Here's the problem, outside of those hacks, you ALWAYS get equipped with an Iron Weapon unless you RAM hack the arena fight data like do.

And their weapon access limits, in FE6.

What do you mean, exactly?

Edited by shadowofchaos

I remember when I thought that arena abuse in FE6-8 was the only way I could get through the game, since I was influenced by other noobs on YouTube. EHM and HHM arenas then proceeded to bite my ass. :dry:

• 2 weeks later...

I would assume the game throws those game-breaking foes at you to discourage arena abuse by setting up fights that are stacked against you after a few victories. From personal experience, switching which units enter the arena each turn a lot seems to reset it back to easier foes, but there's no guarentee. And in SS, you can soft reset the game when you're shown your opponent's level and class (but before you enter the arena), and when you reload you'll be back on the map as if nothing happens. The game doesn't autosave until you're thrust into the battle screen. That's about the best you can do without hacking.

• 1 month later...

AFAIK it only happens in the GBA games, though FE3 gave you promoted enemies and dragons for unpromoted units on occasion. FE1 didn't allow to leave the arena either.

FE3 also seems to think that riding a horse gives you superpowers, so obviously they need to throw enemies with higher average levels at you to compensate.

In the GBA games, you don't need to reset at all. You can back out and cancel your action and be on the map as if nothing happened even after seeing the amount of gold required to begin the fight. And the higher the ante is, the harder the enemy is. A good rule when arena abusing is to never take on a fight which requires you to be more than around 750 gold.

In the GBA games, you don't need to reset at all. You can back out and cancel your action and be on the map as if nothing happened even after seeing the amount of gold required to begin the fight. And the higher the ante is, the harder the enemy is. A good rule when arena abusing is to never take on a fight which requires you to be more than around 750 gold.

720 is my gold limit. Anything under 600 will likely be a mage though, so be careful with slower, res-less units on superlow bets.

• 3 weeks later...

It depends, are weapon bonuses the same as say, Ninian's boosts? Because everytime I've ever abused the arena in FE7 via Nini's Grace, the enemy stats don't seem to take this into account, which would explain why they also aren't affected by weapon bonuses. I think that arena enemies are based solely on the hard stats of your characters.

Ok, so I have a question, do the majority of arena abusers use an emulator or a cart? Because savestates and increasing the game speed would make coming across these broken enemies considerably easier.

Edited by Randombobman

• 3 weeks later...

Confirming that GBA!Arena will not account for the boosts of Ninian's rings. Seeing as Ninis' Grace is by far the most ridiculous one... yeah, the best. [?]That said, Filla's Might isn't unwelcome. If memory serves, you can get Set's Litany or Thor's Ire at an arena, and Thor's Ire isn't that good there anyhow.[/?]

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like others have said, I think it's a question of how many consecutive arena battles a single character has fought.

I've never devoted hundreds of turns to arena abuse in FE7, but I haven't encountered enemies with ridiculous stats in FE8 either, and I think it's because I never have the same person use the arena more than four times in a row. Say I want to level up Lyn and Eliwood through arena abuse; I would have Lyn fight in the arena, then have Florina rescue her, then have somebody else take/drop her, then have Eliwood fight in the arena. Next turn, Eliwood fights in the arena, Florina rescues him, somebody takes/drops him, and Lyn fights in the arena. Repeat ad nauseam.

I will enter the arena with the same character repeatedly, but i do not bet above 710 to 720 gold at any given time. I think this is why i never encountered the totally impossibly broken arena units. Ive Ninis's Grace'd peeps too and still never encountered that. Of course i dont spend THAT much time in there. Unless im arenaing more than one unit. And thats when i do the shuffle like Paper Jam.