Othin Plays FE13!

Othin

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you might have answered this, but how common are Change Seals? Are they buyable?

Can buy them after Chapter 16. 2500G.

You can also buy them from traveling merchants before that, but they're random.

Edited by ZephyrShakuraus

Hey, just wondering, (if this question been asked before, sorry, big thread) about the Change seals...is there a maximum to the number of change seals you can use on a certain character? Because if not, then it'd probably be pretty easy to max out everyone's stats given enough money.

Hey, just wondering, (if this question been asked before, sorry, big thread) about the Change seals...is there a maximum to the number of change seals you can use on a certain character? Because if not, then it'd probably be pretty easy to max out everyone's stats given enough money.

Money and time. It keeps track of your overall level, so resetting back to level 1 doesn't increase how much exp you earn, so it will constantly slow down.

But as far as anyone knows there's no limit. Even if there was a limit, even 2 should be enough to max your stats out.

How large are the gaps between the characters?

Are they as large as the FE6 cast, which had people like Hard Mode Percival, Alan and Lance, Rutger, and Clarine in that team and Juno, Garret, Sophia, etc. in that team (which is the benchwarmer team)?

Overall, how many of the characters are good enough to make several teams with while playing a Lunatic game and up?

Edited by Retsudo

How does Lunatic in FE13 compare to FE12 Lunatic?

It's different. The enemies are tough and there are more of them than in FE12, you get around it by taking advantage of double and the way the weapon triangle works(due to the enemies auto-A ranks having the DS bonuses it's very nice to have the advantage).

For example doubling Frederick with Krom or Ronku and using a sword lets him reliably evade axe users, doubling Frederick with Cullum and using a Lance results in sword users doing tiny amounts of damage to him. Frederick is vitally important, to the point not using him or having him die would probably render lunatic unwinnable. He also appears to level quite quickly since he's level 14 and I'm on chapter 9.

Okay, I can confirm a limit of 20 total bonus units, regardless of game progress. If you try to recruit a 21st, you'll be prompted to dismiss them or one of your previous StreetPass / SpotPass / DLC units. You can recruit them again, though: DLC maps are playable multiple times, SpotPass units can be summoned to the map again, and all three groups will show up on your list of units that you can hire for rather crazy prices. I assume they get returned to their base abilities if you do any of that, though. And there is a limit of 99 units on the hire list, which is the only way to get back StreetPass units if you care about them. Getting back StreetPass and DLC units the same way you got them in the first place doesn't seem to have any limit, though.

I should emphasize that this only applies to the summoned characters from past games and the guest MUs. The special characters like Gangrel who you get through a SpotPass map are exempt: he's just counted as a regular character, as he actually has lines and you can only recruit him once.

It's a bit annoying, but reasonable. 20 characters may not sound like a lot with all the downloads you can do, but it really is. It can also lead to a rather cluttered unit list to sort through; more than that could really get annoying.

Well, that gives me some relief. At least by the time normal enemies are that powerful your team should have sufficient time to grow strong enough to deal with them in a reasonable fashion.

DLC seems to be the ultimate challenge. Pretty interesting about the stat caps varying between generic enemies however. It makes me wonder what exactly causes the modifiers and if they are able to be manipulated in some manner. Some stats capping at 50 is a bit "wow" for me though. That's...quite a bit to deal with.

Sigurd sounds like he's returned from the Other World to show everyone why he is the best Lord. And you say his stats are all capped? This, I have to see for myself.

Well, I don't think normal enemies ever grow quite that powerful. Not on the same difficulty, anyway.

Sigurd is SpotPass, not DLC. As for his team, they actually break 50 at one point. It should be possible to set up a cap as high as 62, but that's a bit of a special case...

His stats aren't all capped, just his HP (80), Str (42), Skl (40), and Spd (39).

That is Scary. How in the world did you beat those guys? o_o

I didn't. I only beat them on Normal with my postgame file, and only with help from Alvis. And Sol, who is a god.

Speaking of Sol vs. SpotPass, Counter is damn scary on enemies. I sent Sol to kill the half of Navarre's team that was on the lower end of the map, and while the Heroes were easy, he hit the Warrior and lost half his HP to Counter. Fortunately it doesn't trigger on fatal hits, and there was only one of them, or Sol would have been dead.

Are bow users not as outclassed by magic users in this game compared to others?

I wouldn't say they're outclassed, but they do have issues with competing. Snipers and Bow Knights are both good, but I haven't tried training any Warriors or Assassins with bows.

So would you say that Lunatic is a huge jump from Hard? I'm debating on what to do for my 3rd playthrough... Any general advice for Lunatic? I don't know if it would be much fun if I'm going to have to replay everything many times.

It's quite a jump, and very different.

As for advice? Use Frederick. Have everyone else support him as best as they can. Manage your resources, like that Silver Lance he starts with. Give him MU's Bronze Sword to start so he can fight without burning through the Silver Lance. You'll get other weapons to replace it with later that will make the Silver Lance less needed. Okay that's not too general but I haven't even started Ch4 yet.

Here's a question that involves the Earth Dragon tribe.

The Earth Dragons except for Medeus were sealed away by Naga, Emperor Galle sailed to Akaneia and made a pact with Loptous, with Loptous avoiding being sealed by possessing Galle and his relatives.

Why wasn't Gimle sealed with the other Earth Dragons? Does the game address this?

I think someone translated some dialogue that claimed the Hero King had defeated Gimle. So I'm pretty sure Gimle is Medeus.

How large are the gaps between the characters?

Are they as large as the FE6 cast, which had people like Hard Mode Percival, Alan and Lance, Rutger, and Clarine in that team and Juno, Garret, Sophia, etc. in that team (which is the benchwarmer team)?

Overall, how many of the characters are good enough to make several teams while playing a Lunatic game and up?

On Normal, at least, no characters start overwhelmingly powerful or excessively difficult to use. So I don't think the gaps are too huge, and characters have various ways to gain effectiveness.

I never really tried to make multiple teams until postgame, and I haven't played far on Lunatic at all, so I can't say about that part.

It's different. The enemies are tough and there are more of them than in FE12, you get around it by taking advantage of double and the way the weapon triangle works(due to the enemies auto-A ranks having the DS bonuses it's very nice to have the advantage).

For example doubling Frederick with Krom or Ronku and using a sword lets him reliably evade axe users, doubling Frederick with Cullum and using a Lance results in sword users doing tiny amounts of damage to him. Frederick is vitally important, to the point not using him or having him die would probably render lunatic unwinnable. He also appears to level quite quickly since he's level 14 and I'm on chapter 9.

Yeah, WTA essentially gets you a couple of points of Def, even though it won't improve your offense. I should add that the accuracy part isn't too big of a deal because you really can't expect to dodge attacks in Lunatic, unless that changes later.

Also, perhaps I should illustrate what "taking advantage of double" means. Sol joins at the start of Ch2 with 6 Speed. The enemy Soldiers on that map all have 11 Speed, enough to double him. Every enemy has a Steel weapon and enough power to 2HKO him. If he's in Double to get a point of Speed to shrink the difference below the 5 needed, he can block off one enemy attack. That's about the extent of his starting defensive capabilities as the game's Cain. That's how scary these enemies are. You need to use all sorts of tricks to get past them: you will not survive otherwise.

And it's amazing.

Gimle is Medeus?

What's with the name change?

Archanea is Iris, Valencia is Varm. I guess stuff just changes after a timeskip of 1900+ years.

Naga's name stayed the same.

I see your point though.

Here's another Medeus involved question.

Since Medeus can possess MU, then did he make a blood pact with a relative of MU's before he was killed by Marth again?

Well, you've got me curious, but I don't have any info.

I can confirm that reinforcements still stop after killing the boss on Rout maps. This would probably help on Tiki's map, if you can manage to fight off the ones that already appear in the meantime.

Edited by Othin

Well, speaking of the chapters becoming easier, I was able to beat Ch4 Lunatic in one attempt, and in 11 turns. Krom and Frederick still did most of the heavy lifting, and it took a lot of trickery to deal with several enemies. I think this map is a bit of a special case, because of the low number of enemies. Ch5 looks tougher, and the moving boss now has a Tomahawk. This is also where reinforcements start showing up, so I'll have to see how that goes.

Checking atwiki, it seems that Hard enemies all switch to forged weapons starting in Ch21. So in Lunatic there will still be enemies using forged weapons in the main story, but even earlier. Also, the generic enemies in Hard don't seem to use Brave weapons ever (aside from Il), but I'm sure the Lunatic enemies do. With them using weapons like those this early, they need some room to expand later.

Well, I wrote the above before checking the earlier maps, and it seems atwiki does have some Lunatic data: there's a generic enemy with a forged Tomahawk as early as Ch14. Enemies seem to begin having forges starting with Gangrel's Thunder Sword in Ch11, but they take a while to grow in prominence. This should be exciting.

I think i read somewhere on gamefaqs(i think kouli posted it.) that once you start grinding between chapters in lunatic it becomes exponentially easier.Without grinding its probably gonna be quite the challenge

Also Othin care to explain how to access spotpass/dlc and whatnot, I'm getting the game on tuesday and want to know in advance if possible.

Edited by Velth

I do remember Kouli having some videos from a completed Lunatic run. So that's how he did it, eh? I have other plans.

For any downloaded stuff, you first need to set up an internet connection with your 3DS.

To access SpotPass, first play through Ch3, then from the world map press X and select the option in the middle of the right column with the wireless symbol. Then go to the letter symbol in the middle of the left column. You should automatically download all the SpotPass data, but it'll take a while to get because of downloading S18. From there, you'll have these options:

1. Characters - you should have one character from the FE1 set and all 10 from the FE4 Gen 1 set

2. Items - you should have Tyrfing

3. Maps - you should have S18

4. Dual Tag - you should have Viole, Ronku, Sol, and Vake

5. Download - try again to access the server and download data

You can select any of those to get them. The characters will appear somewhere on the map: you can go to them and hire or fight them, or buy items from them, or send them away. If you send them away, they'll show up in the SpotPass list again to summon again whenever you want. The Tyrfing should just show up in the convoy when you get it. S18 will appear on the world map, but you won't be able to access it until the end of the game. Dual Tag seems to require another nearby player, so don't expect to be able to do anything with it.

As for DLC, just go to the Other-World Gate when it appears. The second option will let you get new maps: Marth's is free, but you'll need to buy any others. The first option then lets you play them.

Regarding Gimle (huge spoilers):

MU is just a vessel for Gimle, the first in Fauder's bloodline to be suitable for awakening him. In the original timeline, Gimle kills Krom and takes over MU completely. When Lucina travels back in time, Gimle follows her at the expense of half his power (turning him back into humanoid form). When Gimle arrives in the past his memories flood into past MU (the player), causing MU's memory loss. So Gimle is basically future MU.

Regarding Gimle (huge spoilers):

MU is just a vessel for Gimle, the first in Fauder's bloodline to be suitable for awakening him. In the original timeline, Gimle kills Krom and takes over MU completely. When Lucina travels back in time, Gimle follows her at the expense of half his power (turning him back into humanoid form). When Gimle arrives in the past his memories flood into past MU (the player), causing MU's memory loss. So Gimle is basically future MU.

So that's why there are two of them, and why Gimle's stuff seems to happen earlier than in the original timeline. Interesting.

So MU is Fauder's son/daughter or something? Why does Fauder look so different, then, while MU looks like a regular human?

So that's why there are two of them, and why Gimle's stuff seems to happen earlier than in the original timeline. Interesting.

So MU is Fauder's son/daughter or something? Why does Fauder look so different, then, while MU looks like a regular human?

Yeah, MU is Fauder's child. We don't know much about MU's upbringing, all that's mentioned is that his/her mother ran away from the Gimle cult and raised MU in secret. So if I had to take a guess I'd say that MU was raised in Iris which is why they don't have the Perezian tan, and kept away from all the weird evil magic which is why they look normal.

Yeah, MU is Fauder's child. We don't know much about MU's upbringing, all that's mentioned is that his/her mother ran away from the Gimle cult and raised MU in secret. So if I had to take a guess I'd say that MU was raised in Iris which is why they don't have the Perezian tan, and kept away from all the weird evil magic which is why they look normal.

Makes sense.

So what exactly did Lucina change with Krom and Basilio, do you know?

Makes sense.

So what exactly did Lucina change with Krom and Basilio, do you know?

Lucina tries to stop Basilio, telling him that if he fights Valhart he'll die. He still goes to fight, but after Flavia leaves he runs like a coward which ends up saving his life.

The bit with Krom is kind of convoluted. MU's been seeing parts of Gimle's memories in his/her dreams, so he/she knows what's going to happen to Krom if they take on Fauder. MU devises a plan with Basilio (who's able to move freely since Fauder thinks he's dead and doesn't have spies watching him) and makes a fake Fire Emblem. When Krom and MU defeat Fauder, Fauder controls MU to kill Krom, but since the Fire Emblem is fake Fauder's powers aren't as absolute and MU is able to resist somewhat, weakening the lightning before stabbing Krom.

Lucina tries to stop Basilio, telling him that if he fights Valhart he'll die. He still goes to fight, but after Flavia leaves he runs like a coward which ends up saving his life.

The bit with Krom is kind of convoluted. MU's been seeing parts of Gimle's memories in his/her dreams, so he/she knows what's going to happen to Krom if they take on Fauder. MU devises a plan with Basilio (who's able to move freely since Fauder thinks he's dead and doesn't have spies watching him) and makes a fake Fire Emblem. When Krom and MU defeat Fauder, Fauder controls MU to kill Krom, but since the Fire Emblem is fake Fauder's powers aren't as absolute and MU is able to resist somewhat, weakening the lightning before stabbing Krom.

So Basilio was still in one piece after that crit. Damn he's tough.

So what's the role of the Fire Emblem in all this? And the Shield of Seals, for that matter. I know Gangrel tries to get it at the beginning, but fails. How does Fauder make use of it?

Then there's Varm in general. Other than a couple of the Orbs somehow winding up there, what relevance does it have?

So Basilio was still in one piece after that crit. Damn he's tough.

So what's the role of the Fire Emblem in all this? And the Shield of Seals, for that matter. I know Gangrel tries to get it at the beginning, but fails. How does Fauder make use of it?

Then there's Varm in general. Other than a couple of the Orbs somehow winding up there, what relevance does it have?

Varm isn't actually that relevant besides the orbs, but Valhart knows about Fauder/Inverse's plot and wants to unify the continent and destroy Gimle with force. The Fire Emblem is needed for Naga and Gimle's awakening rituals.

Purchase success! I wanted to investigate some things, so I got Alm's, Roy's, and Micaiah's maps first. I'll see about the others later.

Varm isn't actually that relevant besides the orbs, but Valhart knows about Fauder/Inverse's plot and wants to unify the continent and destroy Gimle with force. The Fire Emblem is needed for Naga and Gimle's awakening rituals.

So he was trying to help? Is that why you talk with Fauder, Inverse, and Gimle on seemingly friendly terms around that time? How'd they arrange that, anyway?