Othin Plays FE13!

Othin

The SpotPass and StreetPass characters often come at high levels, which is just amazingly convenient. It's like having another Seth dropped into your lap. I'm personally not big on grinding a lot to get them more skills, but they seem effective for extra help while they're available, even without supports. And yeah, other SpotPass and StreetPass maps can get very tough, so any help you can get comes in handy. Seems to me that even before endgame, the characters you can feasibly recruit are the ones that are just a bit more powerful than the ones you already have, so they make for a solid step up.

It's worth noting that it's not just DLC: SpotPass units also have free Change Seal use, and StreetPass units are always has MU, who also has free Change Seal use. Unfortunately, guest MUs don't have supports either.

I picked up Marth early in my Hard Mode run and I've been using him as a main part of my team: he's quite good, and being able to use Krom's weapons has been convenient. Personally, I like the DLC more for this than for adding to an otherwise complete playthrough: it works as a bit of flair you can add to your future playthroughs as you feel like it: it's been fun so far, and I feel like it'll be fun with other DLC characters as well, even if they aren't detailed too well.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to know they're actually useful and come in handy when you want them to. I figure it's more feasible to Class Change them into two other classes like the other characters in order to gain skills instead of grinding for all of them. Essentially, DLC units are units you can customize to be whatever you want provided you take the time to raise them properly. That, is highly promising prospect! I suppose the difference between DLC and SpotPass being you get to keep the DLC unit forever. I can imagine someone doing a "DLC only" play-through at some point. That, would be very fun...

Over-all I'm glad to hear DLC and SpotPass are fun addtions and don't feel as if they're required to complete the game.

How hard is it to achieve doubling speed in this game? On the difficulties you're familiar with, at least.

It's usually feasible outside of tough StreetPass and SpotPass matches, at least after making some decent progress into the game - like most games. However, even on Normal, it's often not enough to simply attack an enemy: I frequently find myself having to use Double or Rainbow Cry to get enough speed. So it's doable, but not effortless. And of course it's even more difficult on Hard.

This may have been asked,

So sorry if it has.

But is their a sound room?

It is. It's part of a full battle viewer where you can set backgrounds, music, and characters, and watch their battle animations.

2 questions, sorry if they've already been asked, thread is huge.

What is the recruitment theme? Is it a remix of an old song, or is it new?

Is the '3D'ness of it noteworthy, did they take advantage of the hardware?

Thx :)

Have you noticed if changing the My Unit's voice changes any of his quotes? Or is it just a matter of VA?

Sorry, but I'm not exactly sure... Is there a post-game, and does DLC carry over into other quests, or do you have to purchase it for each quest?

I can answer this one.

There's no proper post game, but the game doesn't overwrite your save after you finish the final boss. You can continue from right before the battle and do everything available in the map (map encounters, spotpass, dlc, etc). Bought DLC carries over in the sense that it's already bought, but you need to go to the mission and finish it again in order to get the character in a new game.

There's also a separate system where you can store up to 99 My Units, DLC and Spotpass characters and buy them (with in game money) in another game file.

Edited by NeonZ

2 questions, sorry if they've already been asked, thread is huge.

What is the recruitment theme? Is it a remix of an old song, or is it new?

Is the '3D'ness of it noteworthy, did they take advantage of the hardware?

Thx :)

I don't remember hearing any specific recruitment theme in general.

The 3D makes the graphics look fantastic. It doesn't do a whole lot more than that, but it's still a great addition to the presentation.

Have you noticed if changing the My Unit's voice changes any of his quotes? Or is it just a matter of VA?

I can't say either way. I have a male MU on one file and a female MU on my other file, so it's hard to compare directly.

Any Arena's for arena abusing found yet?

FE13 has no arenas.

No arenas in this game. There is one place on the world map that looks like an arena, but it's just the setting for one of the stages.

I may not have Awakening yet, but that post made me curious:

I wonder if the new EU laws have something to do with the absence of arenas(at least in terms of non-remake-and-irreplaceable-element games). Do you think that Shadow Dragon arenas are still intact because they were irreplaceable, while Awakening's arenas, if any, were not accessible by player due to EU laws due to the fact that they can be replaced?

^ If so, then the laws just crashed players' parties, as the authorities decided to make gold in Fire Emblem even more scarce by making sure that risking currency is criminal to them, and that is a sign of the times indeed, symbolized by pokemon and its "loss-risk" game corner, and now, with fire emblem arenas suffering the same fate if true, I wonder if the problem is not just in pokemon, but in all kiddie games, including fire emblem, that used to have risky currency-influencing elements that can go either one of both ways, rather than just one way(one way by means of benefitting the player's in-game currency balance without any chance of hindering that same player's currency balance), and do you think I made a good observation?

Edited by shadowjam

How good is Lucina as a unit from your experience?

She's fantastic. Easily surpassed Krom, but that may have just been a matter of class choices. I've been hearing similar results from others, though.

I wonder if the new EU laws have something to do with the absence of arenas(at least in terms of non-remake-and-irreplaceable-element games). Do you think that Shadow Dragon arenas are still intact because they were irreplaceable, while Awakening's arenas, if any, were not accessible by player due to EU laws due to the fact that they can be replaced?

^ If so, then the laws just crashed players' parties, as the authorities decided to make gold in Fire Emblem even more scarce by making sure that risking currency is criminal to them, and that is a sign of the times indeed, symbolized by pokemon and its "loss-risk" game corner, and now, with fire emblem arenas suffering the same fate if true, I wonder if the problem is not just in pokemon, but in all kiddie games that used to have risky currency-influencing elements that can go either one of both ways, rather than just one way(one way by means of benefitting the player's in-game currency balance without any chance of hindering that same player's currency balance), and do you think I made a godd observation?

I think it's just because fuck arenas, skirmishes are better.

FE9/10 didn't have arenas either. So keeping in mind that IS couldn't really have removed the arenas in FE11/12, the last time they voluntarily added arenas was FE8. So it's nothing new.

Edited by Othin

^ If so, then the laws just crashed players' parties, as the authorities decided to make gold in Fire Emblem even more scarce by making sure that risking currency is criminal to them, and that is a sign of the times indeed, symbolized by pokemon and its "loss-risk" game corner, and now, with fire emblem arenas suffering the same fate if true, I wonder if the problem is not just in pokemon, but in all kiddie games, including fire emblem, that used to have risky currency-influencing elements that can go either one of both ways, rather than just one way(one way by means of benefitting the player's in-game currency balance without any chance of hindering that same player's currency balance), and do you think I made a good observation?

I don't think there's a reason, I think it's just because Awakening doesn't have arenas.

Ninja'd

Edited by Bryan

Yeah, I think that replacing arena's with limited skirmishes is a good idea. If Arena's were ever to return I'd prefer that they use the FE4 system. Now they need to put capturing back in a game

Not to mention that skirmishes would probably be more fun/less frustrating.

FE9/10 didn't have arenas either. So keeping in mind that IS couldn't really have removed the arenas in FE11/12, the last time they voluntarily added arenas was FE8. So it's nothing new.

My honest guess has to do with the 3D. Remember we didn't have villages in FE9/10 either, so it would be really weird to make a HUGE AS HELL ARENA in the middle of a battlefield. It's manageable in the 2D games because you can very easily handwave a small distance as a large portion zoomed out heavily, but you can't quite do that in 3D.

Hey Othin, you found how to get those secret characters yet?

I hear a second PT gets you more gaidens past 17.

As a matter of fact, I have. But it's not a second playthrough:

May SpotPass is out.

Contains the rest of the Jugdral SpotPass, the first of the Archanea SpotPass, two Dual Tag teams, and Gaiden 18. Gangrel returns as a boss at a much higher level, and apparently he joins at the end. He also has some new skill.

I'm currently in the preparations screen for it; I'll post more once I play through it. But yeah, this is real. This is how they're distributing those secret characters. And it's awesome.

Enemies in this map seem to be stronger than endgame enemies, which is exciting. So it looks like these maps are designed for postgame.

What laws are you talking about?

What's the Archanea spotpass? Is it Marth again? If so, does this version start with a generic class like mercenary or is it lord again like the paid DLC?

Edited by NeonZ

What's the Archanea spotpass? Is it Marth again? If so, does this version start with a generic class like mercenary or is it lord again like the paid DLC?

Indeed it is: he's a Star Lord once more, and now at LV25 with a Noble Rapier and a strange selection of skills: Charisma, Luck +4, Dual Attack+, Dual Guard+, and Dual Support+, but no Good Growths.

His team is just eight characters - like Sigurd's, based on his starting FE1 team. A Star Lord, three Paladins, a General, a Falcon Knight, a Sniper, and a Battle Monk.

On an unrelated note, mentioning Good Growths and its effect on Marth, I recall that Nono got +2 HP on a level-up as a Manekete. So there's another >100% growth.