Bigmac's Portrait Gallery

Superfan959

Hey all! I've posted a topic on this forum before, but that was when I was a complete noob. I'm a little better now, but if you see some portraits you recognize then that's why.

Note: I know I need to fix the neck stuff of purple hair in the armor. I'm just too lazy to get around to it.

Note#2: I haven't checked all of these for colors yet either.

generic2.png

wyvern1.png

lucca1.png

sven1.png

rickyj.png

taban1.png

armored1.png

generic1.png

marle1.png

Edited by bigmac909

generic2.png

This one lacks shading where the chin meets the neck (which, by the way, is almost nonexistent. Move the head waaaaaay up. If you want the jacket's collar to be that tall, you should extend the collar, not shorten the neck). There's also a lack of shading where the bangs meet the face. There should also be some hair behind his ear and neck. Most natural hairlines end where the chin and neck meet. Let the hair reflect that. Even if his hair's short. The right eye is also a little too close to the middle of the face. Move it to your left.

wyvern1.png

Besides the really off face (are those two different eyes?!), this one isn't bad. One eyebrow is clearly larger than the other. Make the smaller one thicker. I suggest picking matching eyes that work with Harken's head angle.

lucca1.png

Once again, two different eyes. The hair on her left doesn't end naturally. Look at Priscilla's hair and reference that.

sven1.png

Eyes again. The neck is too small and has no shading.

rickyj.png

The eyes on this one actually work. They can afford to be moved up a few pixels. There needs to be some more under-bang shading, and the neck is too small on this one as well. The collar shouldn't cover the chin.

taban1.png

I remember this one! I really liked the face, and I still do. The right eye should be moved a little, as it's off-angle with the left. I say your left and down a few. The face shading's screwy, as well. Very chunky. And you still need to work on the under-chin shading.

armored1.png

This one's your best face. The eyes can go up a pixel or two but it's the best one in the group. The center armor piece doesn't work at all. It's too large for the body, and it's gotta be uncomfortable for him to stand like that. Also, there's a missing outline on the left.

generic1.png

The face... it's hideous. The mouth is poorly shaded, and the whole thing's off angle.

marle1.png

The eyebrows are really poorly done on this one--they're too thin and lack shading near them. Not bad otherwise.

Comments in bold!

This is some great feedback guys. Seriously I can't wait to get home later and fix some of this stuff up. But I have to agree with Khrene, in that the two he mentioned aren't as bad as you say Laurence. And I assure you that I'm not ever choosing 2 different eyes... ever. I think it's what the first response said, that they just don't match the face's angle particularly well. I'll come back later and try to show you guys the eyes I used on those.

I like S=J girl but sir Laurence is right. He hair is way off with the ends of her locks just squaring off like that.

Hair that just squares off is extremely flat and fairly straight(like the girl on the left here), and your girl's hair has some volume and wave to it and would end more like Priscilla, , or [url=]Dorothy's

And Blue bro, he is cool, but he still looks like one of the brigands who got their faces rearranged.

His eyes are off kilter horizontally, set them straight. Also his jaw juts out to our left and rounds out just a pixel or two shy of where it would end naturally.

Oh don't worry I know. I didn't think you were taking sides against him / saying that those portraits were perfect as is / or anything ridiculous like that. I just didn't think they were "hideous" and whatnot. But all of this information is extremely valuable, and I plan on re-working all of these sprites using this topic (and especially Laurence's post) as a guideline.

...now I just have to actually get around to doing it.