mega cringe-worthy gallery

AthenaWyrm

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those last 2 aren't so bad, as for the rest, stick to splicing for now

Lolwhy? He's not terrible at what he's doing, if you'd clicked the second spoiler tag, so I think he can continue to custom all he wants :P

Though, the WIP ones in the second spoiler tag, I'll wait until you've actually done more on them to say anything.

Lolwhy? He's not terrible at what he's doing, if you'd clicked the second spoiler tag, so I think he can continue to custom all he wants :P

Though, the WIP ones in the second spoiler tag, I'll wait until you've actually done more on them to say anything.

I wasn't sure if those were splices or FCs, I don't have an eye for that really

I wasn't sure if those were splices or FCs, I don't have an eye for that really

well maybe you shouldn't say anything then ;P

it's rather obvious that the top two in the second spoiler tag are mostly custom.

If I can say anything atm, it's that you need a serious reference for that hand, because it is deadly tiny and misshapen.

2nd one's hairline is shaded a bit funny, bit it's a WIP so w/e.

3rd one's eyelashes are too long for FE-style.

4th one's hair palette is really... jarring to my eye. The iris and the pupils don't blend very well, either.

Last one doesn't have enough intermediate colours between the iris and the pupil as well, I think.

Otherwise they're pretty good... much better than what I can do, at least.

Edited by Agro

Not to rain on your parade or anything...

But I have to disagree.

1. The male. Your shading on the hair is simplistic. That is a good style, but I must say that the colors are actually working against you. The hair is mega dark...getting even darker than the border color. My suggestion is the change to FE8 colors for the border and skin OR breaking down the contrast drastically with the hair. As for the rest of the sprite, how old is he supposed to be? The face is kinda smushed and he has a rather triangle face going on. He looks really young...as in...7 years old. I doubt you are going for that. I'd square him a bit...even more if you are not going for a bishie look. Overall, he just feels small...

2. She has the triangle face going on as well. She also has a 0 head going on rather than a normally roundish head. The hand is very small too. Proportionally, hands are about the same size as the face. I like the pose though.

3. This girl has the best head so far. Her hair is suffering from the same problem the first guy had...and her poor body is suffering greatly from angles. She kinda reminds me of Mr. Fantastic...with boobs with same charges.

4. This has to be a loli. lol. There is no other way she'd be that small. lol. She has a cute design though. Those eyes, though...they stare into the soul. The colors aren't good either.

5. I'm having trouble here. The angles are all off on the head. She is pretty mishapen. I like the whole modern looking hoodie on the body though. Again, the colors need work.

Consistently, your colors are where your work suffers most. Once they are pleasing to look at, it'll be easier to praise them/critique them more. My ultimate suggestion to you would be to use existing gba portraits as bases and custom over them. You obviously have the talent to custom somewhat without doing damage...just gotta get used to shapes now.

Thanks for the input. I know about the problem with the size of my portraits and it bugs me too.

I think that my color problems stem from the fact that I use colors similar to those that I use when I normally draw, and my coloring isn't exactly the greatest.

As for the male, he's supposed to be in his mid-20s. And I'm not really sure about the term "0 head," could you elaborate?

If you have sizing problems, note that normal heads are usually between 47-52px tall, but generally averaging in at about 49px.

He's making another forehead (4head) joke. He means that she has absolutely no brow to speak of.

If that's a Black Saber I see there, you're missing her ahoge. She doesn't have an ahoge derp.

For the last mug (Mato?), her neck is rather thick for a girl, and the angle of her body makes her shoulders look a little wide. You may want to consider slimming down her neck and the left shoulder/arm area (our PoV)

Edited by Lenz

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

GG typed out a response then hit the back button on accident...your style is neat anyways, the designs are very reminiscent of anime characters...n...not that Fire Emblem-isn't- anime. But anyways I'm noticing some stuff.

1. Shoulders are very straight thus making her posture look weirdly tense.

2. You probably wouldn't be able to see much that far shoulder in the first place, it's very high and awkwardly placed.

3. Head is bloated on the top right, makes her hair seem huge.

4. She looks a bit cross-eyed?