Depressed

Either to somewhere that makes you happy, or someone who can deal with this professionally. The latter option is if this is a recurring/long-time thing.

Got any school counselors around? They would be a good first cost-free step, if you don't have understanding parents you could take it to. There are a lot of places you could go for treatment depending on what you think you have (depression, anxiety, chaotic moods, so on), but you might need to know what you're actually looking at first. You might be able to figure that out going to a psychiatrist, psychologist, or just a plain counselor, in order of descending medical expertise, and maybe price.

The BEST way to know what you've got is to get psychiatric testing done, which for me took about a week, but I'm not actually sure what the best way to set that up would be.

Call Samaritans or something similar, they can point you in the right direction.

Stop visiting SF. That will surely help. (⌐■_■)

I'll leave you to debate the relevance of that with yourself, Ein.

Edited by Parco Folgore

Either to somewhere that makes you happy, or someone who can deal with this professionally. The latter option is if this is a recurring/long-time thing.

Quoted for truth.

There's always a school counselor and there's your normal doctor as well.

I went to the school's counselor about this, since this thread was made during school. He said that it was depression and that because of what I described to him, it is really bad. Like accidental suicidal thoughts and stuff.

I went to the school's counselor about this, since this thread was made during school. He said that it was depression and that because of what I described to him, it is really bad. Like accidental suicidal thoughts and stuff.

Oh~ Those are always fun~

Any who. No need for alarm my friend. It's good that you told your counselor. Now what you need to do is either seek therapy of some sort and tell your parent(s)/guardian(s).

I'd recommend telling your parent(s)/guardian(s) first as they will need to know anyway and from there seek aid from a therapist. Try not to keep anything to yourself when you do get a chance to speak with a therapist. Letting them know what you're going through will help them help you so that you can fight your depression better. (⌐■_■)

Good to hear man. If you feel like it you can always talk with me about any concerns you have or just random convos. (⌐■_■)

Stop visiting SF. That will surely help. (⌐■_■)

I agree.

But it has to do what you're depressed about. Maybe that would he us help you.

First off, don't go to a therapist if you have people really close to you that you can talk the stuff you're being depressed about. Getting stuff off your chest really helps.

Of course, if you don't have any, then you're better off with a psychologist or something. IMO(and I haven't been to one) they probably will give some technical term to your kind of depression and it sorta makes me feel they make a big deal out of it, but Idk.

First off, don't go to a therapist if you have people really close to you that you can talk the stuff you're being depressed about. Getting stuff off your chest really helps.

Of course, if you don't have any, then you're better off with a psychologist or something. IMO(and I haven't been to one) they probably will give some technical term to your kind of depression and it sorta makes me feel they make a big deal out of it, but Idk.

I am going to have to disagree pretty emphatically, in the event of mental disorders that are actual "things" and would have a specific diagnosis if taken to a professional. Friends one can talk to are great and always preferable to either not having them or having nothing, of course, but even if those friends are understanding as fuck, some of the problems with depression and other psych issues is that they do not always make sense. A response or course of action that would normally seem relatively thoughtful and well-adjusted, can inadvertently make somebody with such an issue feel like shit and spiral further downwards if that response is not worded very carefully.

A good professional is both going to know how to word things, and how to prescribe a path to improvement. A good friend is probably almost equally as important to one's well-being, but they can't always be expected to perform the same duties.

Gonna have to agree with everyone else, Marth. IRL I am one of those friends that people go to when they need someone to talk to, from little things to depression. I do my best, but if I see it's something serious (which it sounds like this case is) I know my limits and realize it would help this person more if they saw a professional. I also have a friend who IS a professional, and he's pretty damn good at what he does.

I wish the best for you, Setzer! Good luck in this fight!

Holy fuck no.

Talking to friends works if you're not ill, and it's just a case of current things getting you down. Friends are great but for the most part know shitall about what to do about long-term illness. If friends could solve mental illness without needing a doctor I would be in such great shape right now, you have no idea. Hell, some of my friends can calm me down from a panic attack, which is great, but do they have the knowledge or resources to get me to a point where I don't have panic attacks to begin with? Not at all. Friends can't solve everything and you shouldn't discourage someone from getting help that they need.

Also, I and most people I know have found a diagnosis to actually be helpful, rather than "making too big a deal of it" or whatever. The fight gets easier when you know the name of the enemy, because instead of just being all "I suck, why can't I do anything" all the time, you know "I'm sick in a specific way right now, it's making it hard for me to do things, but since we know what it is, we know how I can get better." Without specific knowledge of what's gone wrong, it's hard to solve problems.

Best of luck to OP, hope you get the help you need.

btw how do i handle panic attacks

handling one's own panic attack:

-If there's anybody around, stay with them/ask them to stay with you

-Try to ascertain whether it could have anything to do with any other kind of medical condition. Like if it's really asthma or heart problems or the flu or something, or if you're afraid of dying/losing control of yourself but don't know why

-Figure if there's a specific thing nearby that's causing or agitating feelings of anxiety, and move to another area if so

-If it is indeed a panic attack, try to remember that it is uncommon, going on never, that anybody dies from a panic attack or fear alone

-It's ok to move around and use up some nervous energy, especially with exercise (running, jumping jacks etc.) or doing a chore, but aggressive actions may be bad (IIRC punching or screaming into a pillow may actually be counter-productive and just be more of a wind-up)

-Breath manually and slowly, through your stomach as opposed to your chest (reports on using a paper bag are mixed, some sources say it's a good idea while some say it could be detrimental to health or even agitate the attack)

-If you're warm/hot somewhere, cool it down a little, possibly by putting a wet cloth on your forehead/neck/wherever you happen to be hot

Also maybe consider taking this questionnaire (not during a panic attack of course but yeah)

Roight then. Handling somebody else's:

-Stay with them (duh)

-Ask them if they can ascertain the cause of the attack blah bluh

-Try to find a quiet area with them

-Talk to them calmly, tell them they're okay, but don't restrain or touch them without their doing anything first

-Don't press them too hard to give you reasons or to fight the panic, and don't dismiss the legitimacy of their emotions (their fear may be intangible, but it's still real etc)

-That thing before about working out nervous energy was a little skewed. Ask them to sit still if they're comfortable with it, suggest light exercise or chores if they need to move somehow (accomplishing something small might help to lessen the panic, though)

-Also, they might be grumpy, but try to avoid focusing on or arguing about it

-Don't go away in the middle of it (duh)

-Help find something to cool them off/ask them to focus on breathing etc.

-If IT KEEPS HAPPENING still after more than 10 or 15 minutes, consider calling emergency services