Post why you like/dislike FE6

79 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite?

Is there a computer scientist here that can explain why one would want a convoluted RN system like that? I understand it uses powers of 2, but your end result is definitely not going to be a power of 2 either way..

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't take my word for exact truth, but I personally think it's their way of trying to make the random numbers as random as possible with whatever they had at the time. They fixed whatever issue was present in 7 and 8 anyway.

The only pseudorandom number generator I've written without just going for Math.random was just adding 2 long decimals (think .2387598275915791257105 long) together, and add them repeatedly unless the number >= 1 then I subtract by 1. and multiply the result by 100 for a 00-99 random number generator. But that is pretty primitive as far as I know since it was an exercise back in intro Java for us to get started on recursion or something I don't remember

Edited by Luminescent Blade

This is actually my favourite Fire Emblem game, even though if I think about rationally, I have no way of justifying why it's my favourite. Story and gameplay wise, FE7 is pretty much better in every way. The RNG is absolutely atrocious, it doesn't really have anything different from the other GBA titles, and it's overall quite bland. But it's still my favourite, for some reason.

Add up the base stats of Sain, Kent, and Wil. Now add the base stats of Marcus, Alan, and Wolt. FE7's far from perfect, but it's not the mess that is FE6.

I really didn't like the story, and I felt like killing off some of the more annoying characters (Clarine and Cath, I am looking at you).

Add up the base stats of Sain, Kent, and Wil. Now add the base stats of Marcus, Alan, and Wolt. FE7's far from perfect, but it's not the mess that is FE6.

Why does it matter what their base stat total is? The end result is pretty much the same; that both Wolt and Wil are pretty much useless.

FE6 is my favorite FE;GBA

it has the best music, Idoun's theme is the best FE music ever, and battle for who's sake comes second.

it has some great characters, like Fir and Lilina. I find the characters in FE7/8 mostly don't appeal to me much.

I don't like FE8's open map and possibility to tower abuse, and overall having human enemies is what I like about FE games, stupid monsters...

FE7 has 3 lords, I don't like the lord class (why do they get to have a unique class? it's unfair)

only points I dislike on FE6 is the low growths on some units and Roy's late promotion. EDIT: oh, and reinforcements moving the moment they spawn is annoying.

(FE9/10 still beat all GBA games)

Edited by whase

Pretty awesome. Pretty solid. Could've been a bit longer though--almost as fun as FE9.

Definitely not as long-winded as FE7 though, so mad props on this count.

Assuming you play on Hector's mode and visit every map save 19xx, FE7 is 30 chapters long, just like FE6. FE7 also has Lyn's mode, but that is both skip-able and easily completed in one sitting.

Anyway, FE6 is a solid game, particularly on normal mode, where units are fairly balanced relative to the enemies and the general difficulty is just about right because of it. It's really only on hard mode where the game really felt like it needed more play testing before release. Early hit rates are too low to be at all reliable for most units, speed is way too centralizing a stat now that enemies actually have it themselves, HM bonuses make units like Rutger, Miledy and Percival broken (Though they also salvage people like Fir and Zeiss), and some of the maps (4, 5, 7, 10B, 18 Sacae) are just a huge source of frustration even if you know exactly what you're doing. Also, I really like the ranking system, but the turn requirements are laughably lenient, to the point where you have to make your own if you want to get anything out of it.

Edited by GreatEclipse

I don't like FE8's open map and possibility to tower abuse

damn those stupid extra possibilities ruining my games

damn those stupid extra possibilities ruining my games

You know the worst part about games like FE8? When they have post-game campaigns. Jesus, I hate having the option to mess around with a team forever, don't you?

Assuming you play on Hector's mode and visit every map save 19xx, FE7 is 30 chapters long, just like FE6. FE7 also has Lyn's mode, but that is both skip-able and easily completed in one sitting.

The scope of FE6 is far more retracted than the scope of FE7, the latter being more interested in boy-scout missions which are intensely centered on more provincial themes. FE6 doesn't quite slip itself into such specific story lines--it's much more episodic and fleeting, and I preferred it. The pacing was ranged, it felt like, while FE7's was concentrated on specific areas of interest for longer period of time. FE7 unfolded, while FE6 propelled.

Urgh. This game is a love-hate relationship for me. I hate Roy, most of the characters this game throws at you are pretty much cannon fodder with absolutely no use and the hit rates are so wonky and horrible because of it. I love this game though, because enemies have actual stats, it has Echidna, and there's just something about this game which I can't explain, but I really like about it. Better than FE8, worse than FE7 IMO. Did i mention that I hate Roy?

I like the game because it's challenging and has interesting map design, even if the hit rates are kind of bullshit.

It's also fun to draft.

I feel that unlike FE7/8, there are very few chapters that can be immediately trivialised. Perhaps chapters 15 and 21x...

• 4 years later...
  • Specta locked this topic