[Video] A Sprite History... -Changes from FE9 to FE10-

Enex

Man, what a difference in the colour quality between generations. Though the actual models for the characters and maps are somewhat equal, Radiant Dawn surpasses Path and Radiance with leaps and bounds during battle scenes with some surprisingly beautiful environments (those skyboxes and water effects!), better animations (whoo, they actually have variation!), and no more compression issues. Certain portraits such as Titania just had such awful dithering of colour in Path of Radiance. Though I think some of the poses and faces in Path of Radiance were better, the actual quality of the art was way up in Radiant Dawn. I'd say that 90% of the art assets of Radiant Dawn are an improvement of its predecessor. Too bad the same can't be said of the story.

I'd say that 90% of the art assets of Radiant Dawn are an improvement of its predecessor. Too bad the same can't be said of the story.

Remember the interview? Honestly, I believe in their confidence on how they improved upon FE9. FE10 was overall better on quality in the models and sprites. Just look at the difference in anti-aliasing and the way the light is shown on their clothes.

FE10 was better than it's predecessor on gameplay elements and graphics. No doubt about that.

And then there's the story and character development.

Attack Dog Sothe makes everything better.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Thanks for uploading this.

Man, what a difference in the colour quality between generations. Though the actual models for the characters and maps are somewhat equal, Radiant Dawn surpasses Path and Radiance with leaps and bounds during battle scenes with some surprisingly beautiful environments (those skyboxes and water effects!), better animations (whoo, they actually have variation!), and no more compression issues. Certain portraits such as Titania just had such awful dithering of colour in Path of Radiance. Though I think some of the poses and faces in Path of Radiance were better, the actual quality of the art was way up in Radiant Dawn. I'd say that 90% of the art assets of Radiant Dawn are an improvement of its predecessor.

I'd say 100%. Even for characters like Astrid and Titania who got lame expressions, the quality makes up for it.

Biggest improvement is Tormod.

Edited by Anouleth

Very nice.

Sometimes I completely forget how much more basic the FE9 portraits are compared to FE10's. I'm kind of interested in comparing the battle models for similar reasons.

Wow, I'm amazed how wrong I was about how much most characters changed. I thought that most changed significantly more, but I guess I was just kind of totally wrong. This is very nice to see how much the aesthetical things approved.

The textures weren't too much improved over FE9, from what I remember seeing.

I actually prefer the style used in FE9, because it's much more vibrant, but the detailed gradients are nice too. I've enjoyed both.

I love the color quality improvement. In FE9 they're all very stark and tend to clash with one another. In FE10 those same colors actually blend well. Not to mention the skintones in FE10 look realistic. It's like the FE10 ones were painted. I agree that the expressions could've been livelier in a lot of the characters, but I just love the realism that they went for.

Some characters kinda look better in PoR in my opinion. Like Tanith and Sigrun. But most of them do look better in RD. Soren's portrait in RD is so much more awesome.

Calill and Tormod are probably the biggest improvements.

Best improvements go to izuka and tormod. Tormod looked like a derp

Overall, I like the Armor shining in RD, but the poses were a little different. PoR captured their personality, but RD had them in a more natural and relaxed pose. I personally like RD more. Don't like the contrast and black lines in PoR.. Ike is really good though.

Edit:

And Danved is NOT Devdan!

Edited by Melonhead215

I thought it was 3 years difference... i'm probably wrong.

Anyway, it seems like the portrait sizes shrunk. Either that, or about 30% (guessing) of the characters got shorter.

Ike, Tormod, Izuka, and the Begnion senators all improved the most.

Edited by I don't play for turns