Rate the Unit Day 8: Marty

Psych

Dat Rules (stolen/borrowed from Integrity, which where then copied from the FE10 ratings)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Normal Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get home from school, between 1500 and 1600 EST.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a warp staff" or any other justification as an argument.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

- Scrolls have no impact on a unit's rating. Just because Marty can become awesome with scrolls does not mean his score should go up.

- Warp skipping has an impact on scores in so far as "Safy has an high base staff rank". Nanna would score lower than Safy because of her lower rank, but no chapter is explicitly said to be skipped. You can't get Warp and then suddenly say every character after doesn't exist or requires turns to recruit. Something could be said of Xavier, or Conomore/Amalda who are in an escape chapter where Leaf starts next to the escape point.

Tanya: 3.82

Evayl: 5.02

Halvan: 7.35

Dagda: 7.54

Leaf: 8.18

Othin: 8.86

Fin: 9.06

Yeah, I've never used Marty. I'm gonna leave the ratings up to other people. >_>

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking forward to this. Now, Marty has the same availability as Othin and Havan. However, he has no skills. He also has no skill or speed. He also has virtually no skill or speed growth. I don't care how high your other stats are. Marty, you either have to hog the Odo/Sety scrolls or you need to promote early. Even then, you'll only just cap them upon level 20/20. Those promotion gains are good, really good, but do I really want to train you to get there? There are other people who can do your job better.

Plus, enemy speed isn't great, but you're getting doubled by a lot.

Pros:

- Good HP, luck and build

- Nice availability

- Good promotion gains

Cons:

- Abysmal skill/speed bases and growths

- Appears alongside 3 units better than him

- No skills

- Requires a lot of resources to be usable

1/10 - Removed a whole bias point.

Did you guys know

If Marty leaves at the end of 3 with no weapons

He'll go to the Armory in 8 and buy one while he's an enemy

I don't know if it actually takes money or not though

Nothing special, but not bad either. I'll toss on a bias point for sharing my name and give him a solid 6/10.

Edited by Othin

Much like Tanya, he stands in Dagda's shadow for the entire game without loads of favoritism. He does make a good unit for captures thanks to his massive build, and since his skill and speed that can't be reduced at base, there's at least that. The Hero Axe really helps him in capturing early on since it gives him doubling, though he's still no Dagda. His vacation is especially cruel since the Manster arc gives you a few axes users, one of them being forced through the entire ordeal.

He does have a lot of potential but he requires a lot of ressources. While he enjoys having both Odo and Sety scrolls, they're also in pretty high demand by units that don't start as bad. His defense growth is the highest in the game, but his base is only decent, weakens in half for capture and is easier to pick upon by units that double him. Knight Crests are also hotly contested among units, and while his promotion bonuses are extremely nice, some people may still rival those stats after promotion and have a few more perks, such as innate skills, a mount, lead/mov stars, staves, etc. And then one must also not forget he still has 6 movement after promotion, unlike Dagda who at least has a bonus move point.

I really like the guy, but I'm willing to admit he's not that great. Still, he gets some items early on via captures. To me, that's at least a bit better than Tanya's chipping.

2.25/10.

Did you guys know

If Marty leaves at the end of 3 with no weapons

He'll go to the Armory in 8 and buy one while he's an enemy

I don't know if it actually takes money or not though

Enemies have unlimited funds for that kind of trick.

I won't say no to a freebie axe, though Marty is very unlikely to reach a C rank for a free Hammer. What does he get by default? Steel?

Edited by Dio

I've used Marty and he has turned a killing machine, but to do that you require massive scroll abuse and even then it's not guaranteed he'll do great. Skill and Speed base of ZERO is ridiculous for any unit and with those low growths he'll never get anywhere near decency. His promotion gains kinda offset this, but getting him to level 10 to promote is painful since he won't be getting many kills. His strength won't grow much, either.

Capture bot, and can tank for a bit thanks to his great HP and defense, but there's no real reason to use him unless you're willing to baby him. Bench after Chapter 8.

3/10

If I need to clarify this for the last time, these ratings are being judged on a Normal, Non-Elite, Warpskip-free, Semi-Efficient runthrough sans scrolls. It should be judged like the other games, not some LTC 1 turn per map where we buff all the units and cap ram all day and then judge on weapon ranks and movement and staff rank.

It's really saying something when a guy with 0 Skill and Speed still outclasses a lot of characters. Captures stuff, weakens stuff, pretty cool guy overall.

6/10

His bld, HP, and def are really good, in fact the best in the game. There's nobody who can even compare to him in defensive terms. As such, he's an invaluable member of any team.

10/10

Yeah sorry, nope.

His base stats will make it hard to train him at first. He will need the Sety and Odo scrolls to get any good. Until he can get a Killer Axe with enough skill, it will otherwise be hard to get him to capture anything. Best Def growth, but his base Def will make him an easy target for awhile. He will need Wrath to increase his usefulness alot more. Especially with bows. Since his weapon rank increases slow. Because he can capture better than most of your units he gets a 4/10.

Yeah sorry, nope.

Oh I see you gave really compelling evidence as to why I'm wrong

In fact, please point out to me which of the following rules I broke:

Dat Rules (stolen/borrowed from Integrity, which where then copied from the FE10 ratings)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Normal Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get home from school, between 1500 and 1600 EST.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a warp staff" or any other justification as an argument.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

- Scrolls have no impact on a unit's rating. Just because Marty can become awesome with scrolls does not mean his score should go up.

- Warp skipping has an impact on scores in so far as "Safy has an high base staff rank". Nanna would score lower than Safy because of her lower rank, but no chapter is explicitly said to be skipped. You can't get Warp and then suddenly say every character after doesn't exist or requires turns to recruit. Something could be said of Xavier, or Conomore/Amalda who are in an escape chapter where Leaf starts next to the escape point.

Please, point it out to me. Oh by the way I notice that Dondon explicitly broke the "do not use "brings a warp staff"" rule, and yet you didn't say shit to him about it. So stop being biased and count my vote, thanks :)

Edited by General Banzai

On his own, he'll cap build very quickly and will hit his luck and defence caps not too long after promotion. However, getting him there requires a lot of resources and effort. 0 skill and speed with 10 and 15% growths respectively is plain awful. He'll get doubled a lot and really struggle to hit. He's not impossible to raise and his promotions does give 6 skill and speed (and 3 strength. 9 base is cool and all, 15% growth is not), but you still have to get him there. If you give him some skill and speed rings (and the Odo and Sety scrolls, but we aren't counting them), he can grow out of his hole and become a fairly useful combatant, but as it stands, his main use is capturing low avoid units (loldiers, armours) and unarmed units, which (the latter) anything that can wield a weapon (apart from Lara and bow-wielders) can do. 2.5/10, salvageable, but takes a lot to do so.

Please, point it out to me.

They explicitly put a rule against it, most likely specifically for you. Do you even know how to read?

Stop undermining my position.

Geez, now I know how Christians feel when they see a fundamentalist claiming the Earth is 4000 years old and the Bible is literally true.

---

Marty is useful for capturing, and somewhat tanky. But his skill and speed are awful. Scrolls can fix this problem somewhat, as will promotion, but he'll never be more than mediocre past the first three chapters. And there's plenty of units who can do that without any effort or expense. He simply has no redeeming features.

2/10

Edited by Baldrick

Please, point it out to me. Oh by the way I notice that Dondon explicitly broke the "do not use "brings a warp staff"" rule, and yet you didn't say shit to him about it. So stop being biased and count my vote, thanks :)

You just bashed Tanya one thread ago and then gave her a high score with no justification. From the outside it really looks like you just want to provoke people. Are you really surprised about peoples negative reactions? What are you actually hoping to archive?

Edit:

Anyway, Marty. The man Dagda likes more then his daughter.

Though, he rarely gets much to do in my game besides being a cargo mule. I wouldn't even call him a capturing expert because he can't hit. Well, at least his skill doesn't get cut in half when he captures.

And even scrolls wouldn't take his growths into reliable territory, though good for him at least Sety and Odo appear early.

But he just takes way to much work to enter territory that others reach without even trying. And even with his promo gains, his hit is still highly unreliable.

2/10

No bias, because I think it's creepy how he stares right at the fourth wall.

Edited by BrightBow