Need somebody good with HTML and JavaScript

VincentASM

As the title suggests, is there anyone who's good with HTML and JavaScript and would like to help me with a simple(?) task?

It may involve forms and arrays.

Details

You can post here or PM me if interested.

Edited by VincentASM

You should probably post slightly further info to start with or else potential helpers might be too lazy to PM you or maybe that's just how I think cuz I'm lazybut I myself can't help you due to lack of time, sorry bud :( wish I could.

Question: Is this like doing a Web Designing for the website or is it something else? huh.gif

Edited by King Marth 64

Alright, I'll post a few more details since my strategy didn't work as I expected.

I'm working on some FE Awakening pages that I'd like to generate dynamically using JavaScript. Well, it doesn't have to be JavaScript, but any common language that does what I want.

For instance, I've got a page here where you can choose the class for a character and it'll automatically adjust their growth rates.

Test page (minor spoilers, don't scroll too far down if you're squeamish about spoilers)

It might not look like much, but that took me several hours to figure out, since I'm not good at HTML and I have no knowledge of JavaScript besides what I just figured out in the past few days.

Ideally, what I'd like to do is to make the coding more efficient (it's kind of sloppy if you view the page source).

I'm also looking to implement a way to have variable inputs. Say, I want to figure out the growths of the children characters, their available classes depend on their parents and I want to restrict the classes you can select as inputs.

I'm thinking that the children section of that page will probably call for some more functions to be made for sorting and handling what values will be used for the select tag. With that set, you should probably bring most of the variables and arrays you've declared into the global scope of the script as in:

<script type="text/javascript">
function calculate() {  
// characters ----------------------------------------------
var krom=new Array(45, 40, 10, 40, 40, 70, 35, 20); var liz=new Array(35, 25, 35, 30, 35, 65, 15, 35); 
var frederick=new Array(60, 40, 10, 40, 35, 40, 40, 20);
// classes -------------------------------------------------

should be

<script type="text/javascript">
// characters ---------------------------------------------- 
var krom=new Array(45, 40, 10, 40, 40, 70, 35, 20); 
var liz=new Array(35, 25, 35, 30, 35, 65, 15, 35); 
var frederick=new Array(60, 40, 10, 40, 35, 40, 40, 20); 
// classes -------------------------------------------------

function calculate() { 

Next, depending on how the class inheritance is done, you might want to create a class array for each character ie

var kromClass=new Array(Lord/GreatLord,Cavalier, Paladin, GreatKnight, Archer, Sniper, BowKnight);

The elements in the character class array could be the class growths array you created (unsure atm) so you could build functions to use these arrays and generate growths of the children. If the kids were to basically obtain the complete class set of both their parents (barring the obvious exceptions that can be worked around with a function or some control statements), you could build the function that unites the 2 parent's class arrays similar to a Union.

An alternative would be to use <input> forms where the user would just type the class name to change things. Case sensitivity would be handled easily the "toUpperCase()" method and and you can restrict what's allowed with a switch statement (which you can also use to make those if and else statements for Krom and Liz look nicer if you're concerned with that). This one is if you'd prefer a text field for users to type instead of the dropdown (select tag) boxes you currently have.

The children may require a select tag to choose the parent so that's another column to add.

I'll help if you tire of waiting for someone more capable. Hope this post at least gave some useful ideas.

Edited by Sirius

Thanks, I was actually going to get around to moving the variables to the top.

I'll probably stick with dropdowns, so people don't get error messages for typo'ing names etc.

Hmm, I was thinking of using more arrays somehow, but I'm a bit clueless at the moment about what functions I'd build to use them. For the children, I'll probably end up expanding the table to include all their classes (like in here -- Note: You might get errors depending on when I update the page), which might simply things a bit.

Hmm, I was thinking of using more arrays somehow, but I'm a bit clueless at the moment about what functions I'd build to use them. For the children, I'll probably end up expanding the table to include all their classes (like in here -- Note: You might get errors depending on when I update the page), which might simply things a bit.

The functions you'd have to build depend on how you implement this. If you were to combine the class arrays of the parents like I said earlier, you'd need a sorting function to get rid of class repeats and special classes that can't be inherited. I'll mess around with the first test to see what I can find. Might be possible to keep the children on the same page and have their growths generated just like their parents.

Edited by Sirius

Yeah, that's true.

I've finished updating the children's page for today. It should have the first row of growths visible and 4 variable classes at the bottom of the list.

What I'll probably do is define all the classes that the non-dependant parents pass down, keeping the dependant parent's classes fixed.

//lucina

var l_sumia=new Array("Pegasus Knight", "Falcon Knight", "Dark Pegasus", "Knight", "General", "Cleric", "Battle Cleric", "Sage");
var l_mariabel=new Array("Troubadour/Valkyrie", "Battle Cleric", "Pegasus Knight", "Falcon Knight", "Dark Pegasus", "Mage", "Sage", "Dark Knight");
var l_soiree=new Array("Myrmidon", "Swordmaster", "Assassin", "Dracoknight/Dragonmaster", "Griffon Knight", "-", "-", "-");
var l_olivia=new Array("Myrmidon", "Swordmaster", "Assassin", "Pegasus Knight", "Falcon Knight", "Dark Pegasus", "-", "-");

This could still be much tidier though : P

EDIT

I lied, there's all 8 options for Lucy now.

Edited by VincentASM

I'd love to help out with this, being pretty good with both HTML and JavaScript (not to mention CSS). One example of my JavaScript skill is the opening page of Phantasy Star Cave. Another one is the archive page for the web comic Insanity Squared!!. The website is no longer online, but I still have the page whose source code you could check out.

Sorry, I was a bit busy yesterday so I missed these last few comments.

@BenoitRen

Thanks for your help! I actually have an almost-complete growth calculator already, although it's not as well coded as yours. However, I may need your help for a fairly complex calculator and, if it's okay, I'll PM your later or post here again if I need help ^^