Playing on Dolphin

Hey all. My Wii is packed away, and I don't want to go to the effort of getting it out just for this game, so I've been trying to play this on the Dolphin emulator. The problem is, everything works except the sound. When I use DSP HLE Emulation, the music only loads about 75% of the time. When I use DSP LLE Recompiler, the music loads, but the framerate decreases and the game gets all choppy.

My computer is actually a laptop, which is part of the problem. My processor is an Intel Core2 Duo (2.53 GHz), and the graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon 4500 series.

I'm running the NTSC version of the game. I have heard that the PAL version is more stable--do you think switching will help?

EDIT: Crap, there's a topic for this. Never mind.

EDIT: Turns out the topic is very old, so please do mind!

Edited by Gaggle of Geese

I've run the PAL and the music butchery happens there too. I think shadowofchaos has done some videos using dolphin--it might be worthwhile to ask him about it. I'm not sure if a fix ever was figured for the sound in this game. Or for the instability towards end-game on some versions of the emulator.

Yeah I get shit sound too. What's funny is radiant dawn plays great ,perfect sound with about 40 fps . I can barely squeeze 25 out of this game. I have no idea whats wrong with path of radiance just seems like it's a hard game to emulate . I don't think theres any fix yet but you could try the dolphin forum someone there might be able to help.

Both my brother and I get solid frames with FE9, at least 50fps at almost all times. Make sure you've played around with the plug-ins, finding the best fit for your setup--if you're just playing with the default plug-ins, you may be missing out on plug-ins which work better with FE9 than others. Of course, your hardware will always be a bottleneck, but I'm guessing you could get better performance with a little fiddling around.

The music just cuts out, right? Usually I find that if you go to Options and just change the music from Mono to Stereo or vice versa the music will come back on. You might find yourself in some trouble with Chapter 13--the game will lag a lot. If this does happen then just find an earlier version of Dolphin and play the chapter using that, and then go back to the one that you were using. Also, for what it's worth, I use the PAL version.

Edited by Agro

You have to be specific with your graphic settings. It would also do good to know how much RAM you have.

Sound works completely fine for me when I use the HLE DSP Emulation from the files dumped from my own Wii.

I honestly think it's only worth it if you're trying to play it in HD. Otherwise I'd go for the Wii option.

'Nah i got a decent rig . it might be the settings but i'm using dolphin 3.0 and it doesn't work like the other dolphin builds , there is no plug-in interface so there is kinda a limit on the amount of customization I can do. I've screwed around with the settings a little but i haven't seen any major changes . On the main subject now that i think about it I've noticed the music in path of radiance plays much better if you skip a few frames but i don't think the OP wants that.

edit- Wow a lot of replies since before i finished typing this message. Damn ADD i really shouldn't wait 20 minutes in the reply window.

Edited by The_Purple_Knight

You have to be specific with your graphic settings. It would also do good to know how much RAM you have.

Sound works completely fine for me when I use the HLE DSP Emulation from the files dumped from my own Wii.

I honestly think it's only worth it if you're trying to play it in HD. Otherwise I'd go for the Wii option.

Wait, so you're using HLE and the music plays every time? THAT'S what I need! Everthing works just fine in this game with the sole exception of music randomly failing to play. What version of Dolphin are you using?

Wait, so you're using HLE and the music plays every time? THAT'S what I need! Everthing works just fine in this game with the sole exception of music randomly failing to play. What version of Dolphin are you using?

I haven't updated in a while... The one I'm using to record all my crap is:

"Dolphin-win-x64-v3.0-204"

Well, I dumped the DSP files, but it hasn't fixed the problems. I also updated to the latest version of Dolphin.

I'm hearing so many different people saying they haven't had sound issues. I want to know what they're doing that I'm not!