English name changes?

Please tell me if I'm missing the point, but I don't see how Mark is comparable to those other names. Leslie and Ashley have become over time more popular for women than they have for men, which is why they're now considered unisex names. Mark has not. Chris is a nickname for both a male and a female name. Mark is not.

I'm not strictly adverse to them naming the female tactician Mark, though I'm not awfully fond of the idea, but I really wouldn't consider it a unisex name. Unless your cheeky definition of that is "anything can be used for anyone."

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me if I'm missing the point, but I don't see how Mark is comparable to those other names. Leslie and Ashley have become over time more popular for women than they have for men, which is why they're now considered unisex names. Mark has not. Chris is a nickname for both a male and a female name. Mark is not.

I'm not strictly adverse to them naming the female tactician Mark, though I'm not awfully fond of the idea, but I really wouldn't consider it a unisex name. Unless your cheeky definition of that is "anything can be used for anyone."

http://www.quickbabynames.com/meaning-of-Mark.html

Similar to Celice's post, this site shows Mark is a unisex name.

lolFuret

If Mark stays as Mark regardless of sex then I'm not complaining.

Either way we're stuck with whatever they use and it will be just fine given NoA handling of FE names so far.

You silly peeps and your need to be right...

Several sources cite a 1990 U.S. census with the name being fairly popular for girls. One here:

http://names.mongabay.com/female_names_alpha.htm

What you're used to, and what is, are not the same. I also worked with at least two women named Chris this past year, not as a nickname, but as a given name. But it's alright that you can't see it as a unisex.

0.004% is "fairly popular"? Even if it's above such amazing names as "Matthew" in popularity, it's still in an extremely low section. Chris, for reference, is roughly six times as common and is still not precisely common.

"It's been used X many times" is not equal to "it is commonly accepted."

EDIT: As a point of curiosity, I looked up Leslie and Ashley. The most common isotope of Leslie (being Leslie) has 200k+ names to Mark's 6k. Every one of the three alternate spellings has more occurrences than Mark. The most common form of Ashley (weirdly, Ashley) is twice as common as Leslie, and its alternate spellings are more common than Leslie's. Hell, there're still a hundred thousand male Leslies in the 'States, which makes it actually look unisexish. There are 1.3 million male Marks to six thousand female Marks.

http://www.quickbabynames.com/meaning-of-Mark.html

Similar to Celice's post, this site shows Mark is a unisex name.

Similar to my response to Celice's post, this site also shows "Matthew" as an accepted unisex name. All that site really means by that is that people have named girls Matthew before, regardless of how common it is.

Edited by Mr. Sparkles

Whether a name is unisex is a distinct thing from its popularity, isn't it? The numbers are just to show evidentially that the names are being used regardless of gender, not whether they're popular choices to take. Thus why the fairly was in italics. I didn't think relatively, or contextually were better words to describe it, personally.

Edited by Celice

Whether a name is unisex is a distinct thing from its popularity, isn't it?

Is it? Language evolves, after all. Leslie, as I recall, did not start as a unisex name. Leslie is now regarded as a unisex name (or leaning feminine) because its popularity as a girl's name outstripped its popularity as a boy's name. EDIT: Or vice versa, fucked if I can remember.

I'd say quite to the contrary, whether a name is a unisex name is based absolutely entirely on relative (between sexes) popularity at the time.

EDIT2: To illustrate my point, Leslie and Mark. There are 200k femLeslies and 100k manLeslies. 2:1 is a fairly decent ratio, all things considered. There are 6k femMarks to 1.3mil manMarks. That's a 3:800 ratio. That, you can concede, is far from 2:1.

Edited by Mr. Sparkles

Whether a name is unisex is a distinct thing from its popularity, isn't it? The numbers are just to show evidentially that the names are being used regardless of gender, not whether they're popular choices to take. Thus why the fairly was in italics. I didn't think relatively, or contextually were better words to describe it, personally.

Whether or not the name is really unisex, as a male I would despise my parents if they had named me Ashely. I know my sister would also hate being named Mark. I don't know any woman named "Chris". I do however, know a woman named "Kris". I don't know anyone with alternate spellings for Mark being a female.

I'm more intrerested (spelling?) about the dark warlords in the german version.

Or wouldn't you feel awkward when your oponents name is two/six/eleven...  

I'm more intrerested (spelling?) about the dark warlords in the german version.

Or wouldn't you feel awkward when your oponents name is two/six/eleven...

They will keep the theme of "number names" etc. because there were replacement generic units in FE11 that were named Unil, Trim, Quatro...

I am not sure if they will keep the German version of the number names since NOA and NOE translated them differently.

See here:

http://www.serenesfo...1/name.html#rep

Edited by Leif

In the Japanese version, the numbers were in a foreign language (German). So in the English version, the numbers would also have to be in a language other than English, even if that language is not German.

• 5 months later...

Not to bump an old topic, but is anyone else SERIOUSLY having problems with some of the NOA name changes?

Sariya to Tharja?

Soiree to Sully?

Nono to Nowi?

Inverse to Aversa?

Celice to Seliph?

VELVET TO FREAKIN' "PANNE"???

Did they not sit down and actually look at the names? Did no one think "You know what? We should pprobably not call a woman "Sully".

Some of the other changes were not to my liking (Lon' qu, Ricken, Cherche, Gaius) but at least those were acceptable. THESE ones are the absolute worst...

I'm sure I'll enjoy the game all the same, but seriously: How do you take an awesome name like "Inverse" and change it to "Aversa". Sounds like a Disney villain...

And poor Sariya... Even "Sallya" would have been better...

We already have a thread for discussing these kinds of things. It's on the first page.

Also, it sounds like you have a problem with every single name. Are you sure you don't just hate the changes because they were changed, period, and not because there's something wrong with the names (which there really isn't)?

Not to bump an old topic, but is anyone else SERIOUSLY having problems with some of the NOA name changes?

Sariya to Tharja?

Soiree to Sully?

Nono to Nowi?

Inverse to Aversa?

Celice to Seliph?

VELVET TO FREAKIN' "PANNE"???

Did they not sit down and actually look at the names? Did no one think "You know what? We should pprobably not call a woman "Sully".

Some of the other changes were not to my liking (Lon' qu, Ricken, Cherche, Gaius) but at least those were acceptable. THESE ones are the absolute worst...

I'm sure I'll enjoy the game all the same, but seriously: How do you take an awesome name like "Inverse" and change it to "Aversa". Sounds like a Disney villain...

And poor Sariya... Even "Sallya" would have been better...

Don't necropost, it's against the rules.

Please use the current topic:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36970

Locked.