Why do people hate ENG dubs on anime?

Gold Vanguard

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently if you like dubs, you're racist.

So just because I want to understand something in my own language makes racist, what has the world come to?! I can't believe people liked that what he said. If anythig he's racist. In a summary he said "Derp all dubing is bad white people, its not like other color people dub as well. Japanese is superior to everythig else and if you don't agree with me then you suck derp".

Edited by Gold Knight

"Reading subtitles is an acquired skill. Those who have trouble keeping up should listen tot he inferior dubs, and that's why I don't bash them for that.

But saying dubs are superior is racist 90% of the time."

That argument reeks of a superiority complex.

I'm sorry, but listening to the words and learning the language is more of an "acquired skill".

If you're gonna love your precious Japanese voices, don't hide behind a stupid argument like that. Be a man and proclaim you're a weeb.

I prefer neither the English dubs or the original. As long as I can watch the freaking show and understand what is going on, whether it's from the actual words or subtitles on the screen, I really don't care.

I'm not too picky on voice actors. While there are a few I just cannot tolerate, for the most part there's not much that bothers me in voice acting.

I prefer neither the English dubs or the original. As long as I can watch the freaking show and understand what is going on, whether it's from the actual words or subtitles on the screen, I really don't care.

I'm not too picky on voice actors. While there are a few I just cannot tolerate, for the most part there's not much that bothers me in voice acting.

Absolute respect points for this person.

It should be noted that the hardcore anime fanbase is heavily biased toward subs. The further out you go, the more likely you are to find people who don't mind or prefer English dubbed anime. Most of us on this site will probably be like that since we're not an anime fansite, but go to a site like MyAnimeList or AniDB and things change a lot.

It should be noted that the hardcore anime fanbase is heavily biased toward subs. The further out you go, the more likely you are to find people who don't mind or prefer English dubbed anime. Most of us on this site will probably be like that since we're not an anime fansite, but go to a site like MyAnimeList or AniDB and things change a lot.

The MAL community is trash, but I heard that AniDB is more reasonable. This is hearsay, since I don't involve myself with AniDB except for looking up fansub groups.

• 1 month later...

Most shows I've only seen in English, and I liked them well enough that I never went looking for the Japanese version. Evangelion and Full Metal Panic! fall into this category. And then there are some shows I've wound up seeing in both Eng and Japanese. In these cases, I usually still prefer the English dub - these being Hellsing, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Cardcaptors/CardCaptor Sakura, and GaoGaiGar.

In the case of Hellsing, Code Geass, and Gurren Lagann, I almost unilaterally prefer the English dub. The Japanese version's aren't bad, per se, but Japanese Kamina sounds too old, and there's just something... special about Crispin Freeman that brings to Alucard to life on the screen. Lelouch has both of those issues - his Japanese voice sounds way too old and deep, and Johnny Yong Bosch captures the character in a way that just blows my mind.

In the case of Cardcaptors, I watched an early episode and thought the Japanese voices were extremely high-pitched and annoying. However, upon watching another disc later in the season, that wasn't a problem, despite having the same actors. Conclusion: the early Japanese episodes are annoying, but the later ones aren't bad. I still prefer Eng, though, since that's what I grew up with.

For GaoGaiGar, I actually LOVE both versions. I like the English voices slightly better, but the dub was never finished.

Buso Renkin is kind of a mixed bag. I've seen it in both versions, and I have to admit that some of the English voices don't fit very well, while some are spot-on. However, the same is also true of the Japanese dub. JAP Kazuki and Tokiko are better (Tara Platt sounds a bit too old in this case, although she pulls off other, similarly-aged characters rather well), but ENG Papillon and Captain Bravo are better, because let's face it. Papillon's Japanese voice actor does not sound like a sickly teenager on the verge of death. Spike Spencer DOES. And then makes said sickly teenager awesome.

In the case of Cardcaptors, I watched an early episode and thought the Japanese voices were extremely high-pitched and annoying. However, upon watching another disc later in the season, that wasn't a problem, despite having the same actors. Conclusion: the early Japanese episodes are annoying, but the later ones aren't bad. I still prefer Eng, though, since that's what I grew up with.

In that specific case, my hate for the English dub comes from the fact that they heavily edited each episode, switched around the episode order, and pretty much cut nearly half the episodes of the entire series.

1349633117[/url]' post='2149017']

In that specific case, my hate for the English dub comes from the fact that they heavily edited each episode, switched around the episode order, and pretty much cut nearly half the episodes of the entire series.

That's mostly from the 4kids dub in where they heavily censored things. Funamation hasn't done any on that.

That's mostly from the 4kids dub in where they heavily censored things. Funamation hasn't done any on that.

That was Nelvana. They literally tried to make the lead Syaoran (Li Showron in English) to attract the boys by clipping clips and changing episode order... some even combining episodes that were 10 episodes apart in the original. AND EVEN USING FADE TO BLACK EFFECTS. I MEAN COME ON, THOSE TRANSITIONS IN A PROFESSIONAL WORK!?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now I'm starting to wish I hadn't mentioned that, because I keep forgetting how vocal the haters are. Yes, I know it's heavily edited, aimed at a different audience, etc. etc. etc. I know it's a bit of a trainwreck, but I find that kinda charming about it. Almost as if it's so bad... that it crosses back over into being good.

Truth is, I like it that way.

Thing is, though, Nelvana doesn't deserve all of that grief either - most of the rearranging and editing was done by Kids WB, so that they could try and market it to more viewers.

It's also not that hard to get the episodes in the proper order if you go looking for them, either. justdubs.net and animeratio, IIRC, have the episodes numbered in the same order as the Japanese version.

Edited by Might Gaine

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now I'm starting to wish I hadn't mentioned that, because I keep forgetting how vocal the haters are. Yes, I know it's heavily edited, aimed at a different audience, etc. etc. etc. I know it's a bit of a trainwreck, but I find that kinda charming about it. Almost as if it's so bad... that it crosses back over into being good.

Truth is, I like it that way.

Thing is, though, Nelvana doesn't deserve all of that grief either - most of the rearranging and editing was done by Kids WB, so that they could try and market it to more viewers.

It's also not that hard to get the episodes in the proper order if you go looking for them, either. justdubs.net and animeratio, IIRC, have the episodes numbered in the same order as the Japanese version.

"Hater"? Really? Rey-chan brings up why he doesn't like it, but he's damn respectful about it.

I'll concede that I'm probably basing my opinion on an (annoying) vocal minority. They are certainly the most vocal when the option to switch to Japanese is omitted, which, in my personal belief, is not a big deal in 90% of the cases. If the option is available to switch between languages, then people obviously have nothing to complain about. However, in cases where the option is not on-disc, while I understand people disliking the use of Japanese honorifics in English, I will never understand the people who look at something like the laughing scene in FFX and insist the Japanese is better because the laughter in English sounds forced.

Arr. I also love it when localization teams take the time out to do some AWESOME localization! In Japanese versions of games and shows, theres often some sort of phrase or witty one-liner or joke that is only really funny to the Japanese. It would fly right over my head. So if a localization team takes that joke or whatever and makes it funny to English speakers, wiggy!

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I actually felt sick reading that. So wrong.

I can go both ways too. (when im arsed to watch anime...) But when it comes to certain ones...i always pick the English. Like anything Studio Ghibli. They get ACE actors and big names for those dubs!

I...am so trying not to say something horribly snarky and mean. :P: Im a huge CCS fan and i just cannot hang with the dub that much. I do have a VHS floating around with a bunch of the season 2 dubbed episodes and i thought they were pretty wiggy back then. But after seeing the actual version of the show, i was all bent out of shape. They cut too much of the plot out. Granted the movie dubs were better because no cutting, but still...(Sakura's voice actor...ermahgerd..i just...cant..)

Yarrr. And the name changes... *cringe* I never get anal about that kind of stuff in anime but...with this one..ohohoho yeah.

Honestly, IMHO, the VERY last movie English dub was phenomenal.

But considering the Cardcaptors editing for the dub... the second movie never happened. There's no reason for it to.

It feels very disconnected. If they had done the dubbing the way the Sealed Card movie was, I would have been all for it.

When I watched Cardcaptors when I was 10 on Kids WB... I had a crush on Sakura. (Come on, give me a break. I'm 10... she's 11... kinda understandable at the time.)

So even when they aired it at 7/7:30 AM on Saturdays, I still got up to watch the show.

Then I watched the subs. I was SO confused for the first episode. I'm like "what?". Then I found out some episodes were never even aired. And all for what... because she has a crush on an older man?

I felt betrayed.

As for just the story-wise perspective, when I watched the actual original series it felt like a realization around the ballpark of "You can't appreciate the vastness and beauty of the ocean, when all you've seen is a small lake."

Don't get me wrong, I loved the English dub. Carly McKillip did a phenomenal job expressing the energetic "Genki Girl" that Sakura's character is. Rhys Huber and Jordan Kilik for "Li".

But the editing isn't the problem, it's the way they did them. It REALLY irks me that a simple "Fade to black" transition was used in a few episodes that are completely unrelated that they mashed together.

The fact that even though you just brushed it off, even as a kid, you noticed inconsistencies. The ending to the whole series in English was very... cliffhanger-y.

There's no fulfillment because "Li" just leaves, never to be seen again.

And like I said, that's just my personal "hate" if you will. It's just not something I like after finding out the truth. By all means, I still love it as part of the entire "series" of CLAMP's work attempted to be localized.

If you love it? More power to you. But as for myself, I'm not gonna admit that "it's so bad, it's good." That's your own personal opinion.

As for the whole high pitched crap... Japanese LIKE their girls high pitched. It's basically a behavioral norm for girls to habitually make their voices higher pitched than if they were just talking normally. It's what their society has taught them as an "attractive" attribute.

"Japanese women train their voices to have a high pitch. It is cultural. Loud women with lower voices are considered very un-feminine."

Edited by shadowofchaos

Honestly, IMHO, the VERY last movie English dub was phenomenal.

But considering the Cardcaptors editing for the dub... the second movie never happened. There's no reason for it to.

It feels very disconnected. If they had done the dubbing the way the Sealed Card movie was, I would have been all for it.

When I watched Cardcaptors when I was 10 on Kids WB... I had a crush on Sakura. (Come on, give me a break. I'm 10... she's 11... kinda understandable at the time.)

So even when they aired it at 7/7:30 AM on Saturdays, I still got up to watch the show.

Then I watched the subs. I was SO confused for the first episode. I'm like "what?". Then I found out some episodes were never even aired. And all for what... because she has a crush on an older man?

I felt betrayed.

As for just the story-wise perspective, when I watched the actual original series it felt like a realization around the ballpark of "You can't appreciate the vastness and beauty of the ocean, when all you've seen is a small lake."

Don't get me wrong, I loved the English dub. Carly McKillip did a phenomenal job expressing the energetic "Genki Girl" that Sakura's character is. Rhys Huber and Jordan Kilik for "Li".

But the editing isn't the problem, it's the way they did them. It REALLY irks me that a simple "Fade to black" transition was used in a few episodes that are completely unrelated that they mashed together.

The fact that even though you just brushed it off, even as a kid, you noticed inconsistencies. The ending to the whole series in English was very... cliffhanger-y.

There's no fulfillment because "Li" just leaves, never to be seen again.

And like I said, that's just my personal "hate" if you will. It's just not something I like after finding out the truth. By all means, I still love it as part of the entire "series" of CLAMP's work attempted to be localized.

If you love it? More power to you. But as for myself, I'm not gonna admit that "it's so bad, it's good." That's your own personal opinion.

As for the whole high pitched crap... Japanese LIKE their girls high pitched. It's basically a behavioral norm for girls to habitually make their voices higher pitched than if they were just talking normally. It's what their society has taught them as an "attractive" attribute.

"Japanese women train their voices to have a high pitch. It is cultural. Loud women with lower voices are considered very un-feminine."

I wasnt a kid when CardCaptors first aired. I was like in college. (lol) But i liked it because it was kinda like Sailor Moon only with less central characters, better animated (hey...srsly it was...), and just i dunno..pretty cool. When i got the interwebz and started looking it up, i saw a lot of people whinging about the dub and i was all "huh?" I read a lot of crap about it and found a VHS of the first few episodes in its original form. I watched it and was all "HUH!?!" Because it was...different in a lot of ways. I also loved the manga especially. I was never a fan of Mei Ling so her omission from the manga was nice. The english versions of the manga kept everything. And all the character interactions were emphasized. I found a lot of of the original versions of the episodes of the show and was pretty blown away about what was left out.

Nearly all the romance was cut. Except the Sakura/Syaoran stuff. The whole connection between Yue and Clow was like...missing. The Yuki/Toya stuff was removed. ( :dry: ) Its unclear why whats-her-face Ruby Moon was all stalking Toya in the first place. Sakura's crush on Yuki was in the dub but not really explained very well. And the whole Toya/Mizuki thing. Oh yeah! Tomoya/Sakura thing and the thing between Tomoyo's mum and Sakura's mum and...just all those underlying romantic plot threads. All dropped. I wonder if CLAMP was pissed. I still have a ton of toys and things from the series too. *looks fondly at little plastic Sakura kickin' it on my desk*

You liked the english voice actors, shadowofchaos? I didnt like a lot of them. Sakura's was really grating. Kero's was ok but after a while...it wore on me. Syaoran's was ok, ill give you that. Yue's was kinda beast because hes that one guy....oh man hes in a lot of dubs for anime and games. (i think he was even the same dude who did the English voice for Yggdrasil in Tales of Symphonia!) Eriol's was kinda lame though. D:

The name changes...gawds the name changes! I understand the concept of localizing names but ueagh.....