Is importing a Japanese 3DS and FE13 worth it at this point?

sallas09

Your playability depends on the DS game AND your system. Older games have no protections no matter what region they're from. I have a Japanese copy of Tetris DS, a European DS Lite, and an American 3DS, and all my games work on the DS Lite. However, New Mystery of the Emblem has a region lock on it. The original DS and DS Lite don't have any sort of system in place to tell the system that a game has a region code in it, and thus can play any DS game. However, a DSi, DSi XL, and 3DS will all disable your ability to play games from outside your region. More examples:

Pokemon Pearl (JP) + American DS Lite = Playable

Pokemon Pearl (JP) + American DSi = Playable

Pokemon Black (JP) + American DS Lite = Playable

Pokemon Black (JP) + American DSi = Unplayable

If a game is "DSi enhanced", especially if it has wi-fi features, you can expect the game to be region locked. All 3DS games are saddled with region locks. I'm so disappointed in Nintendo for going this route.

This seems like a good reason to import, honestly. As someone who bought a Japanese 3DS for Awakening, being able to play FE12 down the road is a huge perk.

However, a DSi, DSi XL, and 3DS will all disable your ability to play games from outside your region.

I can play my European Black on my American 3DS and European DSi.

I would wait. There's good stuff coming out that will tide you over until FE13. I'd recommend going back and playing through the older games again, or picking up Pokemon Conquest. It's pretty great, and the grid based battle system has alot of similarities to FE.

It's been a few days, I know, but I just wanted to say that some new findings have actually made me change my mind and go and buy a Japanese 3DS with Fire Emblem.

I found a system and game that together were a pretty good deal for what I was willing to spend, and the buy will not be hurting me much in the long-run at all. And there are quite a few other Japan-only games that I'm really interested in playing, such as FE12(still don't know for sure about this region business with this game, but I'll get it eventually in any case), Monster Hunter 3G, Monster Hunter 4(when it comes out; saw the trailer and I'm hyped for it.), and most importantly, Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry' Wonderland 3D. I absolutely adored this game when I owned it for the GameBoy Color, and seeing how it was remade for the 3DS in Japan, I knew I had to play it.

Dragon Quest is also essentially convincing one of my friends to buy one too, that means he'll get the monster hunter games as well, and I'd actually have someone to play them with. It's funny, this one game made me go from reluctantly letting it go to straight up "shut up and take my money"

I haven't played DQ in a long time, but TW3D seems fun. I saw a 'first 45 mins' of the game and liked it.

Sorry if it's a bit off topic, but I have a question related to this, and didn't want to make another topic. It can't be answered with FE right now, but with other games: is Streetpass region-locked too? Actually, is any type of communication between 2 versions of games/3DS locked? I mean that if someone else would have an NoA 3DS/version of a game would it communicate with my Japanese or European one?

There are very few FE fans here and if any did, it would be the NoA version, so it would affect my decision of buying the Japanese 3DS/FE13.

Edited by Silent Mercenary

I was recently in Japan, and Streetpass is compatible with the 3DSes in other regions. In fact, that's partly the point! You get rewarded with achievements if you encounter people from other countries. However, Nintendo can and will block puzzle pieces that aren't currently available from the 3DS's country of origin. Despite being able to see those hidden pieces of the Fire Emblem puzzle, I wasn't even allowed to start the Fire Emblem panel. I had to settle for finishing the Mario Tennis Open puzzle instead.

I was recently in Japan, and Streetpass is compatible with the 3DSes in other regions. In fact, that's partly the point! You get rewarded with achievements if you encounter people from other countries. However, Nintendo can and will block puzzle pieces that aren't currently available from the 3DS's country of origin. Despite being able to see those hidden pieces of the Fire Emblem puzzle, I wasn't even allowed to start the Fire Emblem panel. I had to settle for finishing the Mario Tennis Open puzzle instead.

Ah, thanks for the answer. Maybe I will get a Japanese 3DS after all.

I can play my European Black on my American 3DS and European DSi.

Pokemon B&W, despite being DSi-expanded, was made region-free on purpose for two reasons. The trading aspect required the games to be region-free (due to the whole thing of the various Pokemon having different names depending on language), and in addition to that, several Latin American distributors struck a deal to sell the European version in some stores in Latin America (since the American version doesn't have a Spanish option).

Pokemon B&W, despite being DSi-expanded, was made region-free on purpose for two reasons. The trading aspect required the games to be region-free (due to the whole thing of the various Pokemon having different names depending on language)...

The system/game is not required to be region free to talk to other region games.