Is it normal to have Myrmecophobia?

Gold Vanguard

It honestly depends on how serious it is. If it's just a mild nervousness it's probably okay, but crippling fear is not healthy. Remember, ants are quite easy to crush by stepping on them! emot-black101.gif

As for other bugs, yeah, it's pretty normal to get a little scared, especially if they suddenly fly out at you, or can sting you.

I honestly thought that this was about Myrmidons until I read your post

A healthy fear of the creepy and crawley is absolutely normal in everyone. Most despise bugs and the like.

Phobias, however, are uncontrollable, persistent fears, and thus abnormal. How does your fear of them manifest? You'd be surprised, many will state they have phobias when few genuinely do.

Considering I just learned a new word today, I'd say no. Unless you live in a country with Fire ants (army ants? The ones that kill people when enough of them gather) or something like that.

Fire ants, at least the ones in Texas, I'm not sure are fatal, even in great #s. Both me and my bro got bitten/stung by a whole hill of em at least once each, and neither of us had any serious complications (me when I was 3 years old or younger, I don't even remember the incident personally).

I'm not sure many people are afraid of ants, I feel like those are insects many people tend to have a relative fondness for...but other stuff, people may not like. I myself have a rather magnified fear of slugs, though I love snails.

A general dislike of insects seems to be fairly normal, so I wouldn't say so. Though, that general dislike doesn't go with lobsters, which aren't really too different from most insects either, so eh.

Maybe if the lobsters are dead and red. I know some people who find crawfish a little creepy even though they are fine with lobsters, at least the cooked ones.

sadly, yes, a lot of people dislike bugs. I even have a friend who has a phobia for flying insects, even butterflies.

I however find most bugs to be cute, and find them interesting to watch.

also, stepping on an ant doesn't work if it's small enough.

Fire ants, at least the ones in Texas, I'm not sure are fatal, even in great #s. Both me and my bro got bitten/stung by a whole hill of em at least once each, and neither of us had any serious complications (me when I was 3 years old or younger, I don't even remember the incident personally).

Well, they can be fatal it seems:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=2143091&page=1

And then there is this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_jumper_ant

"Although 3% may seem small, jack jumper ants cause more deaths in Tasmania than spiders, snakes, wasps, and sharks combined."

Well, they can be fatal it seems:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=2143091&page=1

And then there is this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_jumper_ant

"Although 3% may seem small, jack jumper ants cause more deaths in Tasmania than spiders, snakes, wasps, and sharks combined."

Beware of the Bugs: Fire Ants Can Kill Americans

I know us Americans are pretty badass and all but I don't think there's need to differentiate between us and the rest of the human race.

Being uncomfortable around insects is pretty common. Nothing to be that worried about. If it's to the point where you aren't living properly because of it, then you got a different and bigger problem.