MarkyJoe1990's Compositions (GBA Compatible!)

MarkyJoe1990

All of my GBA insertable compositions use MarioBros' FE7 Native Instrument Map.

Anyways yeah. I compose a lot of music on my free time and figured I'd share them with everyone. If you want to use them, you have my permission (Except for Julie's Theme), but you MUST credit me.

Please give feedback and critique. Being good is not enough for me. I want to be godly.

Permission to use any of my songs is allowed EXCEPT for Heart of White Glass. That is reserved for MageKnight404.

GBA Compatible MIDIs

Make A Decision ~ Unveil the Mystery: MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

Make A Decision ~ A Taste of Justice: MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

Make A Decision ~ Everyday Brawls: MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

Make A Decision ~ Lussaria's Destiny: MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

Make A Decision ~ Relax! It's The Early Game: MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

Make A Decision ~ Tears of Resolution: MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

The Enemy Moves Forth ~ Haze of Innocence: MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

The Enemy Moves Forth ~ Royal Advance: MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

The Enemy Moves Forth ~ Stalker: MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

The Army of Alm Seeks a Remake ~ Desperate Assault: MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

The Army of Leaf Seeks a Remake ~ Leaf's Last Stand: MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

Battle for Justice ~ Fearless Adversary: MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

Battle for Justice ~ Clash of Calamity: MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

Handful of Hope (Working Title): MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

Julie's Theme ~ Heart of White Glass: MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

Ruban's Presence ~ The Devil's Roulette: MP3 Preview, GBA Compatible MIDI

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are pretty slick, MJ. I like them all though Royal Advance is probably my favorite.

One thing I'm noticing across the board is that the your bass/low end could probably be a bit stronger, especially if you want a powerful song (Like Royal Advance). On a few of these, most notably Clash of Calamity, the bass is weak enough that it feels like the bottom fell out of the song.

The other thing that I noticed was on Unveil the Mystery. Choosing the right instrument for a solo helps make that solo pop (Artistically, not the annoying pop you mentioned). When the trumpet comes in at the end and plays those fast triplets it sounds a little out of context. Speaking from experience, only the most elite trumpeters can play that fast. I think a guitar would fit that solo a lot better, if you have an extra track to include it.

These are pretty slick, MJ. I like them all though Royal Advance is probably my favorite.

One thing I'm noticing across the board is that the your bass/low end could probably be a bit stronger, especially if you want a powerful song (Like Royal Advance). On a few of these, most notably Clash of Calamity, the bass is weak enough that it feels like the bottom fell out of the song.

The other thing that I noticed was on Unveil the Mystery. Choosing the right instrument for a solo helps make that solo pop (Artistically, not the annoying pop you mentioned). When the trumpet comes in at the end and plays those fast triplets it sounds a little out of context. Speaking from experience, only the most elite trumpeters can play that fast. I think a guitar would fit that solo a lot better, if you have an extra track to include it.

Got it. Gonna fix Clash of Calamity, since that's the one with the most absence of bass (It actually doesn't HAVE one).

EDIT: Updated Clash of Calamity to have a bass. Also did a few other changes to the song to make it sound better.

EDIT 2: Listening to my other songs, I didn't really notice any bass issues.

Also, I tried using a guitar for the trumpet triplet part, and it sounded bad. FE7's guitars don't seem to be meant to play very fast.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Ya, Clash sounds a good bit fuller now. But what in the world is that clicking instrument, the snare? It's so distracting.

Eh, maybe it's just personal preference but, I like to go for a full sound with low and high end having equal importance. I feel Royal Advance could just a bit more but that's me. A Taste of Justice sounds fine though if you want a comparison.

The samples they used will definitely make a difference, I guess they chose some inadequate ones.

By the way, what software do you use for composition?

Ya, Clash sounds a good bit fuller now. But what in the world is that clicking instrument, the snare? It's so distracting.

Eh, maybe it's just personal preference but, I like to go for a full sound with low and high end having equal importance. I feel Royal Advance could just a bit more but that's me. A Taste of Justice sounds fine though if you want a comparison.

The samples they used will definitely make a difference, I guess they chose some inadequate ones.

By the way, what software do you use for composition?

Fruity Loops.

Yayyyy native instruments. I remember these. Feedback:

Sophia's Exhibition ~ Unveil the Mystery: This one is really cool and slick. The melody has good forward momentum while keeping the instrumentals down nice and low. Only thing is, I feel like it's building up to some sort of rock song, but it never does. It starts to build up to something really well with a lot of suspense, and then--it's gone. I feel like this one should go somewhere.

The Army of Leaf Seeks a Remake ~ Leaf's Last Stand: Goooood twist. I already told you how much I liked this one :lol:

The Final Showdown ~ Clash of Calamity: cool battle song bro. The ascending harp feels... oriental or something.

Ruban's Presence ~ The Devil's Roulette: Sufficiently creepy, though I'm not sure I appreciate the harp at the start very much.

Make A Decision ~ A Taste of Justice: Ahhhh I like this one very much but that silence bit ake the rest of the song feel like an introduction to something bigger but then... it loops.Also feels like Secret of Mana or something (in a good way). Make it go somewhereeeee.

Make A Decision ~ Tears of Resolution: That counter melody(?) that comes in at 1:00 is well-done. Can't think of anything that's wrong with this one, but yeah, the counter-melody stands out in a good way.

The Enemy Moves Forward ~ Royal Advance: Lots of dissonance, which is good for an Enemy Phase theme, I guess.

The Enemy Moves Forward ~ Haze of Innocence: I have lots of love for this one. It's not the usual bad-guys-are-coming stuff that Enemy Phase themes usually give us: it's much more subtle. Gives off the feel of a sympathetic villain which is awesome. Also, that flute melody at 0:21 is really cool. You should use it again as a leitmotif or something. The snare drums give it that push that it needs to still feel like a battle is happening which is great. My favourite out of all of the MIDIs.

Julie's Theme ~ Heart of White Glass: This one is cute, which is what Julie is, so it captures that perfectly. Sounds like ambition and hope. Reminds me a lot of Lyn's Theme. Uh... the link keeps disconnecting on me so I can only judge from the MIDI, so I'll write more here later or something.

btw I finally got around to opening them up and checking for drumkits and I just wanted to say that you are a godsend and telephone? Really? Of all the things?

edit 2: also, I've found that with the FE7 bass guitar you sometimes need to raise the octave for it to actually play (the bass guitar doesn't go low enough otherwise) so that might have been the issue with the bass before.

Edited by Agro

REPLY TIME.

But first, a new song. This is Make a Decision ~ Lucy's Destiny. Besides some looping and minor things I wish to improve, this is probably the ultimate end-game player phase theme, and I made it within about 2-4 hours. It's actually the Leitmotif of Lucy, converted to end-game player phase material. Lucy is the main protagonist of a hack I plan to make in the future (She's an original character).

Downloadable MIDI is in the first post.

And now for replying.

Yayyyy native instruments. I remember these. Feedback:

Sophia's Exhibition ~ Unveil the Mystery: This one is really cool and slick. The melody has good forward momentum while keeping the instrumentals down nice and low. Only thing is, I feel like it's building up to some sort of rock song, but it never does. It starts to build up to something really well with a lot of suspense, and then--it's gone. I feel like this one should go somewhere.

Aye. Well, perhaps in the future, I'll expand on it more.

The Army of Leaf Seeks a Remake ~ Leaf's Last Stand: Goooood twist. I already told you how much I liked this one :lol:

If you want, you can check out my

version. It's even better.
The Final Showdown ~ Clash of Calamity: cool battle song bro. The ascending harp feels... oriental or something.

It's the final boss theme of my Ragefest submission.

Ruban's Presence ~ The Devil's Roulette: Sufficiently creepy, though I'm not sure I appreciate the harp at the start very much.

This has always been my least favorite composition. All it is is just the same chord over and over again, getting more intense every 4 bars. I guess it serves it's purpose as a creepy tune.

Make A Decision ~ A Taste of Justice: Ahhhh I like this one very much but that silence bit ake the rest of the song feel like an introduction to something bigger but then... it loops.Also feels like Secret of Mana or something (in a good way). Make it go somewhereeeee.

Usually when I compose music, my compositions aren't really planned. They're most often improvised based on what I think works really well, but it has the flaw of causing me to end songs prematurely before they deserve to.

Make A Decision ~ Tears of Resolution: That counter melody(?) that comes in at 1:00 is well-done. Can't think of anything that's wrong with this one, but yeah, the counter-melody stands out in a good way.

It was a nightmare converting the original red book version into MIDI, and when I inserted it, it sounded terrible, so I had to throw in tons of fancy schmancy stuff to make it sound presentable. The result was the counter melody that looms over most of the song.

The Enemy Moves Forward ~ Royal Advance: Lots of dissonance, which is good for an Enemy Phase theme, I guess.

The one thing I don't like about this song is how it turns into a flute song near the end. It goes against the entire feeling depicted by the song. The flute part is sort of another problem with my improvised style of composition.

The Enemy Moves Forward ~ Haze of Innocence: I have lots of love for this one. It's not the usual bad-guys-are-coming stuff that Enemy Phase themes usually give us: it's much more subtle. Gives off the feel of a sympathetic villain which is awesome. Also, that flute melody at 0:21 is really cool. You should use it again as a leitmotif or something. The snare drums give it that push that it needs to still feel like a battle is happening which is great. My favourite out of all of the MIDIs.

This song... works. I can't really say I think it's one of my better compositions, but it's at worst, just good. I say this mainly because it's like Ruban's theme; just a sequence of chords repeating every four bars. Though, this one is way better than Ruban's theme by leaps and bounds.

Julie's Theme ~ Heart of White Glass: This one is cute, which is what Julie is, so it captures that perfectly. Sounds like ambition and hope. Reminds me a lot of Lyn's Theme. Uh... the link keeps disconnecting on me so I can only judge from the MIDI, so I'll write more here later or something.

There are two things that really surprise me about this song. The first is that it took only THIRTY MINUTES for me to come up with the entire thing. The second thing that surprises me is that I based this tune on a song given to MageKnight404 that would serve as Julie's theme.

In fact, the whole reason this song exists is because MageKnight404 spoke to me on skype, asked for my opinion of the original Julie's theme, and I was like "I could make something soooo much better than this". And then I did. I VERY did. MageKnight404 was taken utterly aback (Based on his reactions on skype). It's because the theme means so much to him that it requires permission from both me and him (Which you won't likely get).

btw I finally got around to opening them up and checking for drumkits and I just wanted to say that you are a godsend and telephone? Really? Of all the things?

MarioBros' native instrument map is really confusing. A lot of the instruments past number 120 are drumkits. Telephone being one of them. If you want to use crash symbols, I know for a fact that Seashore has one.

edit 2: also, I've found that with the FE7 bass guitar you sometimes need to raise the octave for it to actually play (the bass guitar doesn't go low enough otherwise) so that might have been the issue with the bass before.

For which song? Clash of Calamity? That one didn't have a bass before. That's why it sounded so weak initially. After putting the bass in, I had to sacrafice bits of the hat percussion unfortunately.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

yeah thats me :) I like what you did with the concept. It came out great :)

It's also the only happy song I've ever done that doesn't sound terrible.

It's quite funny too, cause the only thing mine "derived" from your version is the beginning melody, which was changed a bit in my version, and yet that alone was sufficient enough to get me to make a good happy song.

So yeah. Thanks for the inspiration.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

No problem. Where's the credit!!! Kidding. I like what you did with it. I got lazy towards the end and just kinda layered the same rhythm on multiple instruments just for depth. Next time I write something I'll actually have more then three pieces. What's fruity loops like? I used MuseScore and just kinda wrote it note by note.

No problem. Where's the credit!!! Kidding.

Oh fuck. I'm sorry. I know you're joking, but I have a policy of crediting anything and anyone who helped me in some way, shape or form. Editing first post to credit you.

If you have the link to your version of the song. I'd like to link to it.

I like what you did with it. I got lazy towards the end and just kinda layered the same rhythm on multiple instruments just for depth. Next time I write something I'll actually have more then three pieces. What's fruity loops like? I used MuseScore and just kinda wrote it note by note.

Fruity Loops is a glitchy piece of shit, and it crashes like a motherfucker, but it's almost unmatched in flexibility when it comes to making MIDI tunes. Imagine Anvil Studio if it weren't so inefficient and shitty at everything it ever tried to do, and had the feature to use soundfonts, plugins, and make red book quality music, and you have Fruity Loops.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Sounds good to me :)

And if you know anything of music theory I would recommend MuseScore, because it works great in all honesty. How do you get the FE7 instruments to plug in, that would make my version sound better in general.

Sounds good to me :)

And if you know anything of music theory I would recommend MuseScore, because it works great in all honesty. How do you get the FE7 instruments to plug in, that would make my version sound better in general.

I know almost nothing about music theory, or anything pertaining to music.

There are no FE7 music plug ins. I just inserted my MIDIs into FE7 with Zahlman's Song Editor and MarioBros's Native Instrument Map, and recorded the result, which became the preview MP3s.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Ah, the native instrument map, how do I get all of that to apply, I want to insert my version into a ROM and get the new sound of it. It would sound alot better.

EDIT: Also you put the credit for me under the wrong song.

Edited by fuzz94

Ah, the native instrument map, how do I get all of that to apply, I want to insert my version into a ROM and get the new sound of it. It would sound alot better.

Open your ROM with HxD. open the Native Instrument Map with HxD as well. On the Native Instrument tab, hit ctrl + A to select all of it, then ctrl + C to copy all of it. Then, in the offset of your choice (I use 00DA0000), hit ctrl + B to paste all of the native instrument map into your ROM (Do not use ctrl + V, since this is paste insert. ctrl + B is paste overwrite). Then, using Zahlman's Song Editor:

Open [Name of your rom. Do not include extension]
Convert -l0 [Offset of native instrument map] [Name of your midi. Do not include extension]
burn 0x69d738 (Replaces Inescapable Fate. If you want to replace a different song, you'll have to find it's offset using sappy)
close test

Mine looks like this when I insert it

Open RE
convert -l0 0xDA0000 JT
burn 0x69d738
close test

RE is the name of the ROM I use, which is my ragefest submission.

-l0 is the looping point of the song, measured by "bars". Since mine is 0, it starts at the beginning of the song.

0xDA0000 is the offset I put the native instrument map

JT is the MIDI of Julie's Theme

EDIT: Fixed the crediting issue.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Double posts *shot*

I did something wronge because it just sounds like shti and then freezes. Anyway here is the raw MIDI if anyone else is interested in the origins of Julie's Theme.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3rz88f2ujqcpt0/Julie%27s%20Theme.mid

Updated first post to link to the song in the "other" section of Julie's Theme.

Thanks! I think it actually sounds better without it unsure.gif. or maybe that's just me being tired and over looking it. What's your opinion?

Well, one of the instruments got converted to a square wave. Probably because it was an instrument that the native instrument map doesn't actually have. If you remove that one instrument, it would probably sound better than it currently does when inserted.

Aside from that, I can't really say I prefer one or the other.