MarkyJoe1990's Compositions (GBA Compatible!)

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open RE
convert -l0 0xDA0000 JT
burn 0x69d738
close test

Don't you need a space after the -l? So it would be -l 0 and not -l0?

New song!

Some of you might recognize this song as the final map theme of Fire Emblem Gaiden, and you'd be right!

I made it to wow Seph1212. Although I didn't get the "OH MY GOD MARC THIS IS AWESOME" reaction I desired, he loved it enough to ask to reserve it. As such, permission is required from both me and him to use it.

Hm... have you considered using a drumkit instead of snare + cymbals? I've figured out the toms for the FE7 drumkit but I don't know if you already know which notes they are so if you need them I've got them in... some FEDS midi I put somewhere. I think the oboe scale-bit that begins at 0:33 could do with a different instrument, mainly because oboe (it is an oboe, right?) is a bit of a weird instrument to be doing stuff like that on. Otherwise, bloody awesome.

Hm... have you considered using a drumkit instead of snare + cymbals?

Nope.

I think the oboe scale-bit that begins at 0:33 could do with a different instrument, mainly because oboe (it is an oboe, right?) is a bit of a weird instrument to be doing stuff like that on.

Maybe later today, I'll dick around with that part and try different instruments.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting stuff. Reminds me of the old days of screwing around with computer programs like Finale and GarageBand...

You catch the style of the GBA FE scores fairly well, and I don't say this simply because these use the same MIDI; you follow a lot of the musical ideas and add your own little twists to them that prove that they're your compositions while still bringing forth the nostalgic feel you want. It works well, and the music would function well for a GBA game. Spectacular work on that end.

My suggestions: I feel that you need to expand a bit chord-wise, since writing the same chord progressions can get repetitive after enough listens. I hear a lot of i-VII-VI-VII progressions and the standard variant of i-VII-VI-V (something I used all the time in my early works, as it's honestly quite effective and attention grabbing) though you change it up enough to avoid boring the listener. Music theory classes will definitely expand upon what you can do, though I suggest to keep an open mind when doing so as instrumental creativity and scoring choices can be beaten out of you by instructors if you aren't careful.

Other things that come to my mind... thematic scoring. I would be interested in hearing a full work by you- and by a full work I mean an entire soundtrack- in order to better garner your use of themes in projecting the stories of the games you write music for. At the moment I'm only seeing a lot of separate tracks.

All in all, you've got a ton of potential. It'll be fun seeing what you come up with in the days that follow.

You catch the style of the GBA FE scores fairly well, and I don't say this simply because these use the same MIDI; you follow a lot of the musical ideas and add your own little twists to them that prove that they're your compositions while still bringing forth the nostalgic feel you want. It works well, and the music would function well for a GBA game. Spectacular work on that end.

Thanks. I'm especially proud of Make A Decision ~ Lucy's Destiny, since it really captures the feel of late-game map music such as Champion's Fate/Hero's Destiny.

My suggestions: I feel that you need to expand a bit chord-wise, since writing the same chord progressions can get repetitive after enough listens. I hear a lot of i-VII-VI-VII progressions and the standard variant of i-VII-VI-V (something I used all the time in my early works, as it's honestly quite effective and attention grabbing) though you change it up enough to avoid boring the listener. Music theory classes will definitely expand upon what you can do, though I suggest to keep an open mind when doing so as instrumental creativity and scoring choices can be beaten out of you by instructors if you aren't careful.

I don't actually know what those chord progressions are (Never took any music classes outside of a class that teaches me how to write the notes and staffs or whatever), but I'm going to assume you're referring to my frequent use of the "Sad, forlorn" chords. I noticed that as well, and it frustrates me quite a bit. Whenver I try to do different chord progressions, I don't "feel" it as strongly as I do for my usual progressions, so changing it up, while definitely a goal, is going to be challenging for me.

Other things that come to my mind... thematic scoring. I would be interested in hearing a full work by you- and by a full work I mean an entire soundtrack- in order to better garner your use of themes in projecting the stories of the games you write music for. At the moment I'm only seeing a lot of separate tracks.

I'm very good at projecting negative emotions (Sadness especially) in my music. Positive? Not so much. At lot of times, I end up making it sound disgustingly cheery. I think the closest thing to a cheery song that I've made that isn't painful to the ears is Handful of Hope.

If I find a good balance, I'd probably make a killer score. [/ego]

All in all, you've got a ton of potential. It'll be fun seeing what you come up with in the days that follow.

Thanks. I actually need to update the list a little since I forgot to add a few new songs to it (Actually I think it's just handful of hope, but... eh.).

Eh, I have no idea what "expression" in a midi is, but yes; the method I use does support panning and pitch bends. It's more manual that Zahlman's song editor, though, so I don't recommend looking into it.

I went and listened to all the midis in the first post. Battle for Justice and the enemy Moves Forward stood out for me the most.

...I see some names like "Alm" and "Sophia" and "Leaf"...

Are those song remakes or just songs of yours made with those characters in mind?

I went and listened to all the midis in the first post. Battle for Justice and the enemy Moves Forward stood out for me the most.

Which "Enemy Moves Forward"? Royal Advance, or Haze of Innocence?

...I see some names like "Alm" and "Sophia" and "Leaf"...

Are those song remakes or just songs of yours made with those characters in mind?

The Army of Alm Seeks A Remake ~ A Desperate Assault is a remake of

theme, which is the theme for the final map as well as some cutscenes.

The Army of Leaf Seeks a Remake ~ Leaf's Last Stand is a pseudo remake of FE5's Together with Leaf, which is the theme for the last few maps. The song was changed to be in minor key, and some parts were changed completely to sound more menacing.

Sophia's Exhibition ~ Unveil the Mystery is an entirely new song I made. It's the first player phase theme of my Ragefest III submission, The Corruption of Roy. Sophia's the main character of the hack, which is why the theme has her name in it.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

• 3 weeks later...