Promoting early

After chapter 10, and getting a prepromote in Innes, I'm starting to think it's time to pull out some of those promotion items and get a few promoted. Everyone I use except Tana, Natasha, and I think Artur are at least level 10, but nobody is Level 20.

The promotions will give me a few more options, and the boss was a Level 7 Mage, so it may be time to power up my troops to match. And I'm not sure if anyone except a few will make it to Level 20 before the end (I'm playing with no arena or tower abuse).

On the other hand, the extra levels would make my soldiers better overall. And again, the extra power can be helpful down the road. Since this is my first playthrough with few spoilers on what's coming, I may need the extra level ups.

Any advice on choosing early promotes?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After chapter 10, and getting a prepromote in Innes, I'm starting to think it's time to pull out some of those promotion items and get a few promoted. Everyone I use except Tana, Natasha, and I think Artur are at least level 10, but nobody is Level 20.

The promotions will give me a few more options, and the boss was a Level 7 Mage, so it may be time to power up my troops to match. And I'm not sure if anyone except a few will make it to Level 20 before the end (I'm playing with no arena or tower abuse).

On the other hand, the extra levels would make my soldiers better overall. And again, the extra power can be helpful down the road. Since this is my first playthrough with few spoilers on what's coming, I may need the extra level ups.

Any advice on choosing early promotes?

If you plan on doing CC later, then wait. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. Promote when you need the extra oomph.

The 13-15 range is enough for everyone. People with shit growths (Garcia's speed needs an early Hero promotion), people that are utterly floundering (a speed-screwed Ross can also benefit from a hero/berserker promotion early) or people that will gain a lot from promotion (Gilliam can stop falling behind with a quick GK promotion) can promote earlier. Nobody should really promote later than 15 or 16 if it can be helped; FE8 is short, and nobody's hitting past like 20/10, 20/12. It's also easy; you won't need the extra levels.

Assuming you're not doing Creature Campaign, it usually helps if you can promote after your character has maxed a stat or two (or gotten to A rank in whatever wepon they're using).

Gerik is a perfect benchmark. If he is insta-promoted his 10/1 stats are enough to handle the rest of the game. As long as your other units are close to his stats they should promote. If they are much weaker you might want to wait.

Exceptions would be anyone who can gain a mount on promotion. Gilliam, Neimi, Lute. You might want to promote them ASAP. (Gerik's non-mount promotion is better though...)

If you plan to do the CC after you beat it, you might want to wait until LV 16-20 to promote.

If they are much weaker you might want to wait.

Depends on if they'll catch up with a promotion; in any case, don't wait too long. If Ross is already floundering, I doubt he'll be much better when most of the rest of the team already has >5 move and fights even better than before.

• 1 month later...

I don't really think it matters in this game, unless you're trying to do a speed run. In other GBA FE's, experience is a very scarce resource (unless you abuse the arena, which is also scarce in a way since you can't change characters while playing a chapter), and wasting low-level mooks with your overpowered promoted units is a waste (I'm looking at you, Night of Farewells). But because you can keep fighting monsters on the map and Valni, you can virtually get infinite experience, as long as you can pay for more weapons. This means that unless everyone in your party got shafted bad by the RNG, you can just get everyone up to L20 and then promote after that.

Later on, if you choose to do Creature Campaign and Arena abuse, you can buy as many stat-increasing items as you want to max out your characters, so your only real concern is if you already did 20/20 and your units still have subpar stats.

Not really, you'll always know that by the end of the game your characters could have been much better but weren't because you weren't patient. With things like the Tower being set up early in the game there's no reason to feel the rush since you'll never be behind in experience. That and if you hit a wall than just go back and train, the skimishes are easy enough that you can plow through them with a group of prepromotes.

Edited by Fanfaire

If it's so easy, why do you need to train?

Not really, you'll always know that by the end of the game your characters could have been much better but weren't because you weren't patient.

I don't get why this is a bad thing.

Edited by Refa

It's a bad thing if you care for your main team being the best they can be at the end. Or if you're doing CC than you have no excuse but to wait til the highest level possible before promotion. The cost of using stat ups from the CC shop is too high and every stat is precious.

Edited by Fanfaire

That doesn't really support your previous statement.

Since the game is so easy there's no reason to promote before 20.

If I don't care about my team being the best they can be at the end game and am not partaking in any of the postgame content, surely there's reason for me to promote before 20.

In other GBA FE's, experience is a very scarce resource (unless you abuse the arena, which is also scarce in a way since you can't change characters while playing a chapter)
Experience is really only good as a means to an end though. While it is somewhat true you're gonna as much as you can scrape if you're doing something like S ranking as long as it reaches the minimum requirement for an S rank, that S rank requirement is really the only thing towards which you need to do so. You can get by even without arena use, as there's generally more than enough EXP to help you beat the game.
and wasting low-level mooks with your overpowered promoted units is a waste (I'm looking at you, Night of Farewells).
On the other hand, said strategy can be seen as effective for quick clears. Just saying.

That doesn't really support your previous statement.

If I don't care about my team being the best they can be at the end game and am not partaking in any of the postgame content, surely there's reason for me to promote before 20.

Yes it does, by not promoting and waiting the game isn't as easy as just promoting ASAP and you get more out of your units. Which is a must if you're doing CC or desire t get more out of the game.

Look at how easily Seth solos the game until the last few missions. Magnify that many times over by rushing your units promotions, the game suddenly becomes extremely dull since even a wimp can suddenly solo most of the game. While waiting will give more of a challenge/enjoyment and brings out the best out of your characters.

And since you can grind up levels anyway there's no reason to promote early either, it's a waste since the game gives you so many ways to catch up if you reach a wall that Seth, for some reason, can't cross for you. Which is doubtful considering that Seth can cross through any wall up to the final stretch of the game if you give him enough Javelins.

it's almost like some people find steamrolling a game to be enjoyable

Alternatively:

let's take your argument and take it to the logical extreme

"don't promote early because it's more of a challenge that way"

why not extend it to

"don't promote at all because it's more of a challenge that way"

but wait you still have seth and all the prepromotes

"don't use promoted units because it's more of a challenge that way"

admittedly the game is beatable like this but like ;/ ;/ ;/

Edited by CT075

Uhhh, you guys are sorta missing the point that it doesn't matter. The game is easy enough that you don't need to wait until L20 to promote, but at the same time, since you can run as many Skirmishes as you want, you don't need to promote right away too. You might prefer something on your own play style, but the game is accommodating enough to work on both extremes, as well as stuff in the middle.

>Person asks for advice on when to promote units. Presumably he is looking for advice on how to have his units perform better, particularly since he didn't specify he was looking to place restrictions on himself.

>Gets told not to promote units because it will make the game too easy.

wat.

Promote early, man. It won't change the outcome of the game for you, except that your units will be better. If you're really interested in CC wait it out, though.

Edited by Aethereal

Getting 20/20 is pretty pointless unless you're into shiny green stats or something and like grinding. If you just wanna beat the damn game this game is like, what, 22 chapters long? With piss-easy enemies? Promote whenever you feel like it. Any time is fine, really.

>Person asks for advice on when to promote units. Presumably he is looking for advice on how to have his units perform better, particularly since he didn't specify he was looking to place restrictions on himself.

>Gets told not to promote units because it will make the game too easy.

wat.

Promote early, man. It won't change the outcome of the game for you, except that your units will be better. If you're really interested in CC wait it out, though.

You misread, the game is easy enough and since he isn't rushing through anything there's no need to gimp his characters or promote too early that makes the game into even more of a joke at the cost of his characters potential at the end of the road. He already has Seth for nearly all the chapters in the game if he needs that extra OOMPH. Thus if the OP wants to get the most out his character than the only option is 20/20 or 10/20/20 for the Trainees. Especially if the OP decides to later do the CC.

Edited by Fanfaire