Promoting early

Infinite Statboosters exist in CC. If you have money problems in CC, something is seriously wrong.

What else are you going to spend your money on? FE8 is so easy that Iron Weapons can handle the CC.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those cost a ton of cash and you can avoid that very easily by waiting. The game is by no means rushing you to get your promotes in. The difficulty isn't that hard, and gives you many options to get extra exp as needed, but if you promote too early than the game just becomes a joke until the last stages where you'll notice a huge difference between a promoted early unit and one that waited til 20.

If you promote early those levels are lost and you'll spend more time getting money for stat boosters to catch up than you would if you just waiting.

You misread, the game is easy enough and since he isn't rushing through anything there's no need to gimp his characters or promote too early that makes the game into even more of a joke at the cost of his characters potential at the end of the road. He already has Seth for nearly all the chapters in the game if he needs that extra OOMPH. Thus if the OP wants to get the most out his character than the only option is 20/20 or 10/20/20 for the Trainees. Especially if the OP decides to later do the CC.

There's no need relative to your expectations of how easy or difficult the game is. If the OP is asking for advice he is presumably looking to know how his characters will perform better, and that is by an early promotion. It's easier to just level the characters before promoting than spend gold on stat boosters, but most people agree with that. 20/20 only happens after a ridiculous amount of time in CC, and is only worth it for like, Link Arena shenanigans. It's misleading to say promoting early gimps his characters, because it only does so after hours in CC.

You misread, the game is easy enough and since he isn't rushing through anything there's no need to gimp his characters or promote too early that makes the game into even more of a joke at the cost of his characters potential at the end of the road. He already has Seth for nearly all the chapters in the game if he needs that extra OOMPH. Thus if the OP wants to get the most out his character than the only option is 20/20 or 10/20/20 for the Trainees.

What do you mean, "get the most"? Because to get the best performance over the course of the entire game, you'd promote earlier than level 20.

Again untrue, his units will not perform better in the long run if they're promoted early. With how ample exp is there's no need to promote early since it will come back to haunt the OP. What you're suggesting is that the OP gimp their characters for much smaller boost of strength than had the OP just waited. And no, the first 20 levels can easily be gained in the main campaign and will show far more benefit than promoting much earlier. Also it would take much longer farming up cash in CC for the expensive stat boosters for all your characters playing catch up.

It's misleading to say that with all the exp available and all the options handed to him that the OP should disregard their character and gimp them for the rest of the game thus when they jump into CC their characters will be severely weaker than had they waited. On top of the expense of buying stat boosters to play catch up when most of those stats would have been gained had the OP waited. There's simply no excuse to rush a promotion early in a game like SS, especially since they already gave you Seth who's more than enough to solve your issues thus making it even less worthwhile to rush a promote.

Untrue because EXP is not scarce and there are many options to get your units to catch up on top of Seth the Problem Solver. So no, promoting early gimps your units potential and is a severe no-no if you even think of doing CC. The cost of regaining the lost stats would be ridiculously high and would take far more time than just leveling your units as high as they can go considering that EXP in SS is much easier to come by than other FE games except maybe Awakening.

Again untrue, his units will not perform better in the long run if they're promoted early.

By the time the long-term loss overpowers the short-term gain, the game is over.

With how ample exp is there's no need to promote early since it will come back to haunt the OP. What you're suggesting is that the OP gimp their characters for much smaller boost of strength than had the OP just waited.

Gimp? A 10/20 character has the same stats as a 20/10 character. Those stats are high enough to deal with everything the GBA games have to offer.

And no, the first 20 levels can easily be gained in the main campaign and will show far more benefit than promoting much earlier. Also it would take much longer farming up cash in CC for the expensive stat boosters for all your characters playing catch up.

If you want to cap stats, sure, it's better to promote at 20. But capped stats aren't valuable in and of themselves, unless you like the green shine capped stats have. Being 4 points or so off your caps won't make a character unusable.

It's misleading to say that with all the exp available and all the options handed to him that the OP should disregard their character and gimp them for the rest of the game thus when they jump into CC their characters will be severely weaker than had they waited.

Your characters will not be beyond 20/10 by the end of the main game.

On top of the expense of buying stat boosters to play catch up when most of those stats would have been gained had the OP waited.

See my previous point in regards to caps and shiny numbers. They will be strong enough.

There's simply no excuse to rush a promotion early in a game like SS, especially since they already gave you Seth who's more than enough to solve your issues thus making it even less worthwhile to rush a promote.

1. A game like SS can be beaten with 10/20 units easily.

2. Maybe you don't want to crush everything with Seth. And even if you do, your other units will be weaker, and so there'll be less long-term loss from early promotion.

Untrue because EXP is not scarce and there are many options to get your units to catch up on top of Seth the Problem Solver. So no, promoting early gimps your units potential and is a severe no-no if you even think of doing CC.

10/20 stats are more than enough to beat CC if you're halfway competent.

The cost of regaining the lost stats would be ridiculously high and would take far more time than just leveling your units as high as they can go considering that EXP in SS is much easier to come by than other FE games except maybe Awakening.

Are you a magpie?

Yet again you refuse to take in that it's ridiculously easy to get exp and that since the game is so easy there's no reason to gimp your characters at all. This isn't lik the other FE games where you only have a set amount of total exp possible. Hell, the Tower's first towor boss alone will give any prepromote a level up and it takes very little time to clear it. A decently leveled prepromote could solo the place and easily gain 2 or 3 levels depending on their level when they get in. On top of how early it is unlocked. So it doesn't take all that long to get your main team to 20 before promotions.

Thus there's no excuse for promoting early when the games gives you so many ways to make up the difference and doesn't force you to rush through the game at all considering there are infinite skirmishes and the tower can be redone over and over again.

4 Speed is a huge difference thank you every much.

You're implying the OP wants to grind.

If he wants to grind he'll grind his ass to 20 then promote, his playstyle, his choice. But then what's the point of even asking us if he wants to just grind to 20?

Honestly when you get over 16 speed in FE8 (and I'm talking on hard mode) you double most enemies save the fastest ones and the final boss. This is a game where the enemies are among the weakest. At least talk big fancy stats in FE6 or something where enemies are competent or something, not one of the easiest game in the series.

Edited by Zhuge Liang

You're implying that the OP is okay with gimping his characters than having to play catch up by dropping 10s to 100s thousand of gold in the CC to make up for the lost stats on all his characters that he would have got had he just waited. Considering that the game gives you Seth it makes it even less dire to promote early considering how broken he alone is so keeping your guys all prepromotes until 20 isn't and issue and doesn't gimp his characters in the long run.

The most optimal choice in this game is to wait since this isn't like the other GBA games and you aren't forced to the next chapter for the most part(expect for one or two stages) and have infinite exp to gain rather easily. That depends on the mood he's playing in, Hard Morde final stages aren't faceroll easy as the rest of the game nor are the higher floors in the tower and ruins because they stack so many hard hitting enemies with far range and high speed/health. The Cyclops have 71+ HP and the Draco Zombies have 90+ and are extremely accurate and hit around 25-40 damage, maybe higher if you're RNG screwed in defense/res or just have low stats.

If the OP wants to just rush through the game, is on an easier difficulty, and has no intention of doing CC than gimping his characters to save time isn't an issue. If the OP isn't in a rush, wants to enjoy the game and bring out the best of his characters, is on the hardest difficulty, and wants to do CC than the only option is to wait which doesn't take all that long. Especially if the OP uses the tower since the boss there will level up any prepromote per kill on top of the exp the weaker mobs(almost always melee only) would give. That and the tower opens up extremely earlier and the First Floor is ridiculously small and can be cleared extremely quickly.

Edited by Fanfaire

If the OP wants to just rush through the game, is on an easier difficulty, and has no intention of doing CC than gimping his characters to save time isn't an issue. If the OP isn't in a rush, wants to enjoy the game and bring out the best of his characters, is on the hardest difficulty, and wants to do CC than the only option is to wait which doesn't take all that long. Especially if the OP uses the tower since the boss there will level up any prepromote per kill on top of the exp the weaker mobs(almost always melee only) would give. That and the tower opens up extremely earlier and the First Floor is ridiculously small and can be cleared extremely quickly.

The game is easy to beat on hard mode, regardless of promotion time. For my Let's Rage run, I only promoted Ephraim, Vanessa and Amelia at level 20. Most people promoted around 17/18 because I couldn't be bothered to give them more XP. Ephraim got to 20 before he could promote and Amelia was so worthless that I didn't even need to promote her at all.

That was without the tower/ruins or skirmishes and I had no trouble with endgame. Franz promoted at 15 for the ship, since I needed a little more muscle but he did just as well as Forde who promoted at 19. If I could be bothered, I doubt I'd have much trouble with creature campaign even with my "gimped" units.

Had you used the Tower/Ruins than those last levels would have breezed by. Nothing against you for feeling the need to rush a promotion when the game goes whenever you're ready but it just seems a waste. EXP is by no means hard to come by and those stat boosts, for very little effort, count towards the end.

You wouldn't do anywhere near as good as that person that waited and it will cost you far more gold just to play catch up. If you prefer to purposely gimp your units in a game like that than more power to you even if I don't agree with your choice due to how easy EXP is to come by in SS.

Play the tower a thousand times in order to get overkill exp.

Spend an infinite amount of time redoing skirmishes to make your raw stats higher.

Grinding is not fun.

4 Speed is a huge difference thank you every much.

You could've at least chosen strength or something; enemies are very slow in this game. And there's never a situation where 10/20 stats won't be sufficient.

Hard Morde final stages aren't faceroll easy as the rest of the game nor are the higher floors in the tower and ruins because they stack so many hard hitting enemies with far range and high speed/health. The Cyclops have 71+ HP and the Draco Zombies have 90+ and are extremely accurate and hit around 25-40 damage, maybe higher if you're RNG screwed in defense/res or just have low stats.

If you have 20/20 stats, these enemies naturally become a pushover, right?

Incidentally, why do you consider gold so limited a resource? You get gold and gems for clearing the Tower/Ruins/skrimishes. The exact same source as you get this exp.

You're going to grind anyway, grinding in levels takes far less time than grinding 100,000+ Gold to make up for the stat losses for rushing a promotion.

Because you need far less EXP(and it's easier to get) than hundreds of thousands of Gold. Especially if you're trying to clear the tower/ruins with a gimped team because you promoted early instead of waiting. If you're trying to cut time down overall than waiting will save you far more time than an early promotion regardless in the end.

Have you even played SS in awhile? The stat boosters aren't cheap, you're going to end up spending more time grinding up gold(And hoping for high quality drops) to make up for the lost stats than had you just waited.

Edited by Fanfaire

Okay. Reading the OP again, he stated that there will be NO tower or arena abuse from him. He did not state this is a CC run specifically and what happens in CC is pretty irrelevant to the main game. Promoting early does not gimp the characters if they beat the game just fine anyway.

Let's pull up some actual stats. From Hard Mode too since those are pretty available.

Lvl 4 Paladins: 40 HP, 12-14 Str, 12 Skl, 11-12 Spd, 6-7 Lck, 11-12 Def, 7 Res

Silver Lance: 26-28 Atk, 102 Hit, 28-31 Avoid, 6 Crit

This is from chapter 17, approaching lategame. You need 16 AS and 32 ATK (31 with axe and 33 with sword) to ORKO these guys. Let's use an Iron Axe for example. They're 8 mt, so you want 23 STR and 16 speed. If you use a nicer weapon than Iron (Killer, for example), the strength requirement go down further. If you grinded yourself to 30 str/25spd, it does the same thing. Except the former takes less trouble.

Edited by Zhuge Liang

I usually promote people once they are level 20 out of habbit. I just don't feel the need to promote early since most characters perform fine unpromoted too.

Healers and Knoll always promote once they are level 10 though.

Had you used the Tower/Ruins than those last levels would have breezed by. Nothing against you for feeling the need to rush a promotion when the game goes whenever you're ready but it just seems a waste. EXP is by no means hard to come by and those stat boosts, for very little effort, count towards the end.

You wouldn't do anywhere near as good as that person that waited and it will cost you far more gold just to play catch up. If you prefer to purposely gimp your units in a game like that than more power to you even if I don't agree with your choice due to how easy EXP is to come by in SS.

You misread what I said, I said that I had no trouble with the end chapters. Also, you seem to be missing the point entirely. Promoting units early doesn't gimp them. It might mean that their maximum stats are like 1 or 2 lower, but they still do exactly the same job. Take Unit X with 50% growths in everything. If we promote 5 levels early, that's 3 or so in each stat gone. Most units don't have 50% growths in everything, so that's less. Plus, you don't take in-game performance into account. Those shiny green numbers don't mean much if you've been force-feeding them XP and them not helping.

If you want capped stats after you've finished the game, that's fine by me, but if you think it hurts unit performance, you're sorely mistaken.

That's not true at all, no matter how you look at it a 20/20 character will be far more powerful than a 10/20 character. It's only after the game is beaten and you have farmed 100,000s+ Gold that you finally caught all your characters up than had you just waited. By than the 20/20 characters would be maxed out since they didn't need gold wasted on them to make up for lost stats.

Not really considering places like Tower 1 are very small so those at Gilliam can do just fine before 20. Not like anything in there but the boss can even heart him anyway and there aren't any Mages so he can clear it in his sleep.

But to beat the game you don't NEED 20/20.

Hell, it's unlikely anyone will reach it without major favoritism/soloing a decent chunk of the game. Some units gain things on promotion that help them more than 2 more strength, like a better weapon type (Gerik, Neimi, Gilliam), more movement, sometimes a class skill. You don't need capped strength when you OHKO most monsters with like, 10 with a legendary weapon.

You're overestimating the worth of something that's pointless in the first place. Assuming you're not abusing the arena or the tower, by the time even a single unit gets to 20/20, those stats will only be present for about a few chapters at best, and everyone else you're using at that point should be competent enough to carry you through those very chapters. Especially since endgame is among one of those chapters. Everything after endgame in this game is Creature Campaign, which isn't really so hard that 20/20 stats would make a big difference, and you're literally given limitless resources. Making 20/20 stats have the worth of chump change. Might as well gauge how units perform before 20/20. And hasn't it even occured to you that the OP doesn't want to wait until 20/20?

Heck! I've promoted guys earlier than level 20 when I first played this, and I didn't regret it in the slightest.

That's not true at all, no matter how you look at it a 20/20 character will be far more powerful than a 10/20 character. It's only after the game is beaten and you have farmed 100,000s+ Gold that you finally caught all your characters up than had you just waited. By than the 20/20 characters would be maxed out since they didn't need gold wasted on them to make up for lost stats.

Not really considering places like Tower 1 are very small so those at Gilliam can do just fine before 20. Not like anything in there but the boss can even heart him anyway and there aren't any Mages so he can clear it in his sleep.

:facepalm:

I promote at level 20 in this game out of habit, and even I can see you're just flogging a dead horse. What do 20/20 stats matter? They don't matter at all in a game like this one with weak enemies; Look at these.

Lvl 5 Wights: 38-41 HP, 14-15 Str, 11-12 Skl, 10-12 Spd, 2-4 Lck, 8-10 Def, 7-9 Res

Steel Sword: 22-23 Atk, 98-101 Hit, 20-26 Avoid, 5-6 Crit, 9-11 AS

Steel Lance: 24-25 Atk, 93-96 Hit, 14-20 Avoid, 5-6 Crit, 6-8 AS

Killer Edge: 24-25 Atk, 98-101 Hit, 22-28 Avoid, 35-36 Crit

Javelin: 20-21 Atk, 88-91 Hit, 18-24 Avoid, 5-6 Crit, 8-10 AS

Lvl 6 Wights: 39-41 HP, 14-15 Str, 12-13 Skl, 10-12 Spd, 3 Lck, 8-9 Def, 8-9 Res

Killer Edge: 23-24 Atk, 100-102 Hit, 23-27 Avoid, 36 Crit

Axereaver: 24-25 Atk, 95-97 Hit, 19-23 Avoid, 11 Crit, 8-10 AS

Lancereaver: 23-24 Atk, 100-102 Hit, 23-27 Avoid, 11 Crt

Lvl 7 Gorgons: 32-33 HP, 25-27 Mag, 12-13 Skl, 10-12 Spd, 8-9 Lck, 7-9 Def, 18-20 Res

Demon Surge: 36-38 Atk, 108-110 Hit, 28-33 Avoid, 6 Crit

Stone: 93-95 Hit, 28-33 Avoid

Lvl 8 Gorgons: 31-33 HP, 24-25 Mag, 11-12 Skl, 11 Spd, 10 Lck, 9 Def, 19 Res

Demon Surge: 35-36 Atk, 107-109 Hit, 32 Avoid, 6 Crit

Shadowshot: 37-38 Atk, 97-99 Hit, 14 Avoid, 11 Crit, 2 AS

Lvl 5 Elder Baels: 57-59 HP, 20-22 Str, 11-12 Skl, 10-11 Spd, 2 Lck, 15 Def, 9 Res

Lethal Talon: 30-32 Atk, 83-85 Hit, 22-24 Avoid, 5-6 Crit

Lvl 7 Elder Bael: 62 HP, 22 Str, 13 Skl, 10 Spd, 3 Lck, 15 Def, 8 Res

Lethal Talon: 32 Atk, 87 Hit, 23 Avoid, 6 Crit

Lvl 5 Gwyllgi: 39 HP, 14 Str, 21 Skl, 23 Spd, 6 Lck, 9 Def, 7 Res

Hellfang: 27 Atk, 125 Hit, 52 Avoid, 10 Crit

Lvl 8 Gwyllgi: 39 HP, 15 Str, 23 Skl, 21 Spd, 8 Lck, 9 Def, 9 Res

Hellfang: 28 Atk, 130 Hit, 50 Avoid, 11 Crt

And this is the final chapter, for Pete's sake. With enemies as weak as these there's no way I wouldn't be fine even if I promoted earlier.

Edited by Golden Cucco

It isn't pointless at all if you're going CC after you beat the game. If you have no intention of doing such a thing than go ahead and gimp your characters, the story missions(Except the last few) wont punish you for doing that. CC though will with how much stuff they throw at you the deeper you go into the Ruins or Tower. Especially the Ruins.

Legendary Weapons aren't infinite you know, a waste to use them on the average mook especially before you can get a reliable source of repair sticks.

The OP has a right to hear both sides. If the OP doesn't want to do CC than the option to gimp his characters is viable since the story missions aren't that hard. It'll just take him much longer to do the final stages since he'll have to play much safer due to weaker characters though that might be an issue since if waiting till 20 is too bothersome than taking many more turns for the final stages might be unbearable. If the OP wants to do CC than the only option is waiting since EXP isn't hard to come by and the game gives you many options to obtain it.

Edited by Fanfaire

It isn't pointless at all if you're going CC after you beat the game.

okay, everyone has already established that

If you have no intention of doing such a thing than go ahead and gimp your characters,

we've proven that you're not "gimping" your characters by promoting early during a campaign; the short-term benefits actually make the character much better in the context of the entire game

Legendary Weapons aren't infinite you know, a waste to use them on the average mook especially before you can get a reliable source of repair sticks.

you never get a reliable source of hammerne, and the sacred twins are best used... when you need them to be used. which some of the time, is on average mooks if CC is out of the window

It'll just take him much longer to do the final stages since he'll have to play much safer due to weaker characters though that might be an issue since if waiting till 20 is too bothersome than taking many more turns for the final stages might be unbearable.

no it won't. he won't see a significant difference in performance either way because the game is not long enough for the effect of the "lost" levels to manifest. conversely, the midgame chapters will be significantly easier with early promotions.

If the OP wants to do CC than the only option is waiting since EXP isn't hard to come by and the game gives you many options to obtain it.

and once again, this is patently false. you yourself stated that you can farm gold from CC to buy stat boosters to compensate for "lost" stats. just swiftsoles trick over and over again and your 10/20 units will be doing fantastic.

Edited by dondon151