How did you get into the Fire Emblem series?

Jedi

As I mentioned before on my intro thread it was mainly thanks to Smash Brothers Melee that I got into Fire Emblem, I wondered who Marth and Roy were, I looked at their trophies and saw the name "Fire Emblem" later I went to gamestop in 2003 when I was 11 and saw it. I bought it on whim and It has since become my favorite Nintendo series and 2nd favorite overall.

9 years later I'm still playing Blazing Sword and the rest of the series. So how did the rest of you get into it? Similar to me? Friend or Family? Random Curiosity? Huge player of Japanese only games? Ect. I'm just curious

I was playing competitive Pokemon on Smogon and fire emblem got brought up a lot.

Either that or I just picked it up browsing random advance wars forums. It's been years so I really don't remember anymore. :/

Funnily enough, Squaresoft was the one getting me into this mess between incestuous knights and evil dragons.

I was playing Seiken Densetsu 3 along with Rudra no Hihou, which were a bunch of relatively obscure SNES games. Then, because of having a newfound appreciation for SNES RPG's, I downloaded Bahamut Lagoon on a whim--downloading all three of them due to their battle themes. Yeah, I judge RPG's by their battle themes, then their gameplay. Because of how fun BL and SD3 turned out to be compared to Rudra no Hihou, I decided to give Fire Emblem a go.

And now, I've been addicted to it for months now. Thanks, Nintendo, for proving once again, incredibly hard games will sell and make consumers fly!

Funnily enough, Squaresoft was the one getting me into this mess between incestuous knights and evil dragons.

This, except in my case, FFTA -> FE7 is like it -> ??? -> Profit!

Strangely, I hated FFTA at first because I was expecting gameplay like the main series, but now I prefer SRPGs.

I was bored one day. And I had Melee on my TV.

While on the computer... I decided to look up crap about Roy.

I found that video... and well, I researched FE6 and the translation patch. Despite blatantly pirating the ROM, that led me to today...

Been buying and supporting Fire Emblem games since. Even wanted to drop $600 on the Kakusei bundle for the Japanese version of FE13. I still do.

I can blame Roy for getting me interested in Fire Emblem... and his canon possible mother, Ninian, for keeping me here.

I went and played SSBB, and found the fe7 and 8 roms while bored.

THen I overused Marcus in my first run and killed off every female unit, except for Lyn.

Oh, and I killed Dart, and Raven.

A guy on a tiny dead obscure forum I was going to brought it up in the chat while I was talking about FFT.

He suggested I try FE9 and I did! Got kinda hooked since.

Funnily enough I'm still into FE but I gave up on FFT a while back because of that Ramza solo fight they make you do.

I was playing competitive Pokemon on Smogon and fire emblem got brought up a lot.

This right here. ;/

I remember I got into a debate about FE in spoilers while also arguing about a moveset or something like that. Yeah, arguing before I knew anything about the series.

I read a snippet about Fire Emblem in the UK Nintendo official magazine and, not long afterwards, I ended up buying Sword of Seals while on vacation in Hong Kong. One of these days, I need to buy a non-pirated version of the game >___<

Uh, I found a really battered FE7 cartridge at this incredibly shady store for cheap, two years ago. I bought it, and found out it didn't save. I blatantly pirated it after that, and pretty much fell in love with it.

I still don't know if that original cartridge of mine was a bootleg or not.

10+ years ago, I got a CD with 400 SNES roms. When I lent said CD to a friend, he found FE4 inside and recommended it.

>2012

>Giving money to Nintendo

Smash Bros Melee gave me exposure, and then I was interested in the promos in Nintendo Power, especially since Nintendo was pushing a large number of GBA games to go along with the GBA SP. At our local Future Shop, Nintendo had a booth set up with Fire Emblem, Metroid Fusion, and I think Wario 4? Needless to say, I came out with a copy of Fire Emblem, a baseball cap, and a lanyard. I still have the lanyard, but my old DS Phat was stolen with my copy of Fire Emblem still inside and the hat never fit me. I ended up buying a second copy of Fire Emblem because I missed it so bad. My friend got Sacred Stones for me... except Gamestop only sold him the box, and not the game! He didn't check inside the box before sending it, so I ended up also going out to buy a copy of Sacred Stones. Despite my apparent bad luck with these games, Fire Emblem is still one of my favourite series of all time.

This, except in my case, FFTA -> FE7 is like it -> ??? -> Profit!

Strangely, I hated FFTA at first because I was expecting gameplay like the main series, but now I prefer SRPGs.

Same here, I played the original FFT and something happened to my memory card and i lost my saves...couldn't be bothered to restart the game so i gave FFTA a try but that one sucked, then looked on the internets for similar games. Found FE11 and it wasn't bad but not awesome. Then tried the GBA and GC FE games later which were awesome.

A friend of mine always talked about Fire Emblem and sang its praise so I went into EB games one day and picked up Sacred Stones, the series has remained one of my stalwarts ever since.

Circa 2004, a friend gave my brother a sizable number of GBA ROMs for whatever reason, and FE7 (the PAL English/French/German release) was one of them, adrift in a vast-ish sea of shovelware and Mario spinoffs. In fiddling with them, I ended up giving FE7 a try out of sheer curiosity and unfamiliarity with the name (note that I had pretty much never heard of SSBM; I was not the most observant child and we were pretty much a "PlayStation family" at the time). I had no prior familiarity with the SRPG genre, but instant adoration was certainly a thing; I suspect that the rigidly ordered presentation and flow of gameplay inherently appealed to me for whatever reason.

I played Super Smash bros. Melee and I used Marth a lot. But that didnt push me to get any FE. I got into FE with Path of Radiance, when my sister bought it back when it came out. I was curious and played it. I remember playing in Easy Mode and using Soren to solo everything lulz.

I wrote a Secret Santa story for my friend about Ike and Elincia. I then got interested after looking up the series and bought FE9 for my birthday, which came a few months later. I played it to death, then played FE8. I was hooked.

Insert story of seeing Marth and Roy in SSBM here.

But I probably wouldn't have played any further than FE7 if it wasn't for FESS.

If you wouldn't have played any further than FE7, then you wouldn't have played FESS in the first place.