"I just want to know one thing!" - FE13 Edition

Popo

Counter only works in 1-range combat, and during the main game, it takes an incredibly long time for Vaike, Gaius & Donnel to get Counter

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what you were planning with Nah, but if you were planning on keeping her a Manakete, Counter's even more useless because aside from weapons that are either rare (Wyrmslayers) or only used in DLC (Falchion, Book of Naga), enemies would struggle to do anything resembling damage to her.

Edited by Levant Caprice

I'm pretty new to this, it's my first Fire Emblem game. I've looked up guides, and with Donnel as father, I saw that there are a few good skills to pass down. Counter is apparently one of them. I simply hadn't considered that with Nah being a Manakete and thus tough, she just does not need Counter.

I'll probably make more rookie mistakes. =(

For future reference, there aren't any "good" guides out there for Awakening, for some reason.

And yeah, Normal/Cas is designed to be incredibly forgiving of mistakes so you can put effort into learning the game mechanics instead of staying alive.

Also, if you're grinding, everyone is going to reach a point where they just take no damage from anything on Normal, which also ruins the point of Counter.

And if you're getting into optimization, you might want to take it to The Pairing Thread or make a new topic- this thread is more for one-shot spoiler free questions than extended discussions.

For future reference, there aren't any "good" guides out there for Awakening, for some reason.

And yeah, Normal/Cas is designed to be incredibly forgiving of mistakes so you can put effort into learning the game mechanics instead of staying alive.

Also, if you're grinding, everyone is going to reach a point where they just take no damage from anything on Normal, which also ruins the point of Counter.

And if you're getting into optimization, you might want to take it to The Pairing Thread or make a new topic- this thread is more for one-shot spoiler free questions than extended discussions.

Thanks about the Pairing Thread notice, if I want more info about the kids, I'll go there. That said, here's an unrelated question.

Suppose you have gotten a base class to level 20, say, Fighter, and you want skills from both a different base Class (Barbarian) but also want skills from the Promoted class (Hero), if you went Barbarian, gotten the skills, would you have to grind Fighter again, to get to Hero?

Thanks about the Pairing Thread notice, if I want more info about the kids, I'll go there. That said, here's an unrelated question.

Suppose you have gotten a base class to level 20, say, Fighter, and you want skills from both a different base Class (Barbarian) but also want skills from the Promoted class (Hero), if you went Barbarian, gotten the skills, would you have to grind Fighter again, to get to Hero?

Not necessarily. Once you get to level 10 in a promoted class, you can reclass to a promoted class.

Not necessarily. Once you get to level 10 in a promoted class, you can reclass to a promoted class.

The thing is, Barbarian is NOT a promoted class. Also, suppose I hit level 10 in Hero, can I use a Second Seal to directly go to Berserker?

The thing is, Barbarian is NOT a promoted class. Also, suppose I hit level 10 in Hero, can I use a Second Seal to directly go to Berserker?

I believe what Levant is saying is that you can promote from Barbarian to either Berserker/Warrior, hit lv. 10, and then reclass to Hero.

And yes.

Edit: In the same post, would like to thank Czar_Yoshi for the answer earlier. I wasn't expecting you to give full details like that, but I'll surely credit you if the run goes well!

Edited by Dual Dragons

Oh wow, I thought reclassing at Promoted levels (from Promoted class to another Promoted class) only worked when those classes have the same base class. This will make getting skills much easier...Sorry for not getting it sooner. >_<

Different people have different definitions, but there are five things usually banned in some combination to make up nogrind: DLC, Spotpass/Streetpass battles, Logbook units, Risen, and Renown/Spotpass shops/Bonus Box items.

The generally agreed upon exception to this is Lunatic(+) Risen, who make the game harder if you fight them. But very few people care what others do in their challenge runs (unless you attempt to use it as a status symbol/record it and post it on Youtube), so whether or not you do something really has to do with whatever rules you hold yourself to.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

I'm trying to use my statboosting items, and have a hard time deciding who gets what.

Preferably, I'd want to shore up weaknesses, rather than strengthen, uh, strengths. A physical attacker with low HP? Perfect for Seraph Robe. Miriel? She doesn't need Spirit Dust.

But there's one thing I can't figure out. Do healing Staves (like Mend and Rescue) go up in power with more Magic? Or only your skill in the weapon itself? I'll eventually want Cordelia to end up as Falcon Knight (to set her apart from Sumia who'll be Dark Flier), and Falcon Knights use Staves. If Staves become more powerful with higher Magic stat, I'll use them on her.

Or am I going wrong about this, and should wait until I've recruited all the characters and then decide? (I've already used some boosters, but eh...)

Healing staves do get better (healing amount and/or range) with more MAG.

Generally speaking it's better to use stat boosters when you can make use of them, rather than saving them (unless you're doing something weird like duping them with Logbook). I personally use stat boosters to push my character past important thresholds, i.e. SPD for doubling or STR/MAG for clean kills.

If I save a trained Spotpass unit in the logbook, and then recruit the base version later, will the trained one be overwritten in the logbook?

Only once you try to update the version in the logbook.

Statboosters: their only legitimate use postgame is capping Chrom's Mag. During maingame, I find it best to either use them on middling stats that you want to be strengths (Avatar's Lck when running AT, Stahl's Spd), to skip a unit's babying phase (Donnel's Def on lower difficulties, Nowi's HP and Cordelia's Str on higher ones), or to set up Avatar to make training other units easier. The three things you shouldn't use them on are stats with both low bases and growths (barring Chrom's Mag postgame) (because you won't see a long-term benefit there), stats that will cap before you promote, and nothing.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

What exactly happens to the EXP curve in this game when you are going through your second promotion? Get to 20, promote, get to 15/20, seal to a different promoted class. I know there's an internal level calculation, but does sealing in particular do anything?

Or would going through two tier 1 classes twice before promoting change the kind of exp you would be getting versus going through one tier 1, promoting, then sealing to another promoted class?

EXP formula is here: http://old.serenesforest.net/fe13/calculation.html

Basically, your level that effects exp gain is your displayed level (+20 if you're promoted) + your internal level. Every time you reclass, half of your displayed level is added to your internal level. Your internal level caps at 20(Normal), 30(Hard), and 50(Lunatic(+)).

There's a bit of rounding that's slightly funkier than normal, but basically, say I reclass at base level 10 (+5 to my IL), level to 10, promote (displayed level is something like 21, IL is still 5, total level is ~26), level to 15 (~41 IL), reclass (+~17 IL), IL is now ~22 and displayed level is ~21, so total level is now ~43...

That example might not make much sense, but basically reclassing from base classes increases your IL by around 1/3 as much as reclassing when promoted does, and will speed up your exp gain instead of seeing it stay roughly the same. So to maximize exp gain, you want to stay in base classes for as long as possible before promoting.

Statboosters: their only legitimate use postgame is capping Chrom's Mag. During maingame, I find it best to either use them on middling stats that you want to be strengths (Avatar's Lck when running AT, Stahl's Spd), to skip a unit's babying phase (Donnel's Def on lower difficulties, Nowi's HP and Cordelia's Str on higher ones), or to set up Avatar to make training other units easier. The three things you shouldn't use them on are stats with both low bases and growths (barring Chrom's Mag postgame) (because you won't see a long-term benefit there), stats that will cap before you promote, and nothing.

Better to use them now, then? I'll have to figure out who can use the boosts the most. Ugh, it'll be pretty hard to figure out, they're all different classes, some promoted, some not, I'll have to see who has good growths but bad luck on leveling. Yay for depth...

Hm, HP, DEF and RES should be pretty straightforward. STR, SPD and MAG are the difficult ones, I think. SKL, I don't know at all...

Basically, your level that effects exp gain is your displayed level (+20 if you're promoted) + your internal level. Every time you reclass, half of your displayed level is added to your internal level. Your internal level caps at 20(Normal), 30(Hard), and 50(Lunatic(+)).

There's a bit of rounding that's slightly funkier than normal, but basically, say I reclass at base level 10 (+5 to my IL), level to 10, promote (displayed level is something like 21, IL is still 5, total level is ~26), level to 15 (~41 IL), reclass (+~17 IL), IL is now ~22 and displayed level is ~21, so total level is now ~43...

That example might not make much sense, but basically reclassing from base classes increases your IL by around 1/3 as much as reclassing when promoted does, and will speed up your exp gain instead of seeing it stay roughly the same. So to maximize exp gain, you want to stay in base classes for as long as possible before promoting.

Oh man, I wish I had known this sooner. I had access to Master Seals quite a bit sooner than Second Seals, and many of my units were lvl 20, so I promoted most. Ehehe...

Their usefulness drops off sharply once you either start grinding or clear Cht.11. You're not going to find anyone who has a clear case for getting them over anyone else by now (and they won't make a difference since you're on Normal), so just give them all to your favorite character.

Oh, they're also more useful the smaller your team is, because the effect will be more concentrated.

Ah thanks. I must have missed the addendum about how Second Sealing affects Internal Level, because I was confused about how to work that part out when I looked at it the first time.

So, if I follow correctly, if I seal at 20 in Tier 1 to level 1, I get 9 cumulative level (it says on the site to -1 then /2 so...), so I'm treated instantly as a level 10 unit for exp calcs. Get to 20 there, I'll be treated as a level 29 unit. Promote, I'll be treated as a level 30 unit. Get to 15, 44. Seal to a promoted class ( 34 / 2 = 17, 17 + 9 = 26) treated as a level 47 unit, despite gaining 52 levels of growth.

Now comparatively, promote at 20, 21. Get to 15, 35. Seal, treated as level 38. Get to 15, treated as a level 52 unit despite having gained 47 levels of growth?

Edited by Irysa