Is video game music actually better than most music you hear today?

Gold Vanguard

Yeah, that's the problem, but I'm sure you could continue your train of thought and conclude something I have no knowledge of yet. I did listen to the same song with English lyrics, then with Japanese lyrics, and the song didn't gain or lose much in that transition. Somebody raised the question of form (wanting to distinguish between radio pop and... less mainstream genres or artists maybe?), so I could also ask if the eurobeat (not sure if I'm right regarding the genre here) track you posted gives justice to songs written in Japanese as such. For example, traditional Japanese music, how complex or simple is it? I wouldn't be able to tell unless on some intuitive or syntactical level.

What I posted wasn't mainstream in the least - it's off of a video game that few people have heard of and fewer have played. The genre is a mess, but "eurobeat" is close enough. From what little I remember of Japanese mainstream music, whatever's in English is more like Engrish - it's fairly easy to tell the intent, but the grammar/wording's a mess.

I'm not sure if you'll find, say, enka in English. I know Okinawan folk music is on a whole 'nother level, in terms of musical composition.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there's the obvious one:

Doesn't seem like this is a mainstream rock band. Plenty of less-exposed English groups have excellent music; I thought we were talking specifically about mainstream groups? You know, the reason why you called out the entire English language?

• 1 month later...

Take the King of Fighter arranged musics. They are dope and very well rhytmatic, plus their melodies develops through the years.

Listen to this, this is pimp-shit doped techno music that kicks ass to any techno sht made today by the "big gems" (lol) of our generation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...

I've been into video game music since the early 90s - at the time VGM and techno were my favorite kinds of music (I'd probably say VGM still is) but I've branched out quite a bit into other styles since then. A few observations:

1) There are actually a good number of bands & musicians that make really excellent instrumental music of various styles that would fit in well with VGM fans and they have been making this music for decades. But they're not so easy to casually come across. Example bands: Angels of Venice (Celtic & fantasy), David Arkenstone (fantasy / new age / world), Ancient Future (world fusion), Mahavishnu Orchestra ("jazz fusion" is the label but sounds a lot more like instrumental rock to me than jazz - think Shining the Holy Ark arranged soundtrack). I can post some example songs if requested

2) New music discoverability is actually not so easy or intuitive. You can say "the music you hear today" mostly sucks and you might be inclined to think of perhaps the current  or recent chart toppers of music popular with general audiences like pop, rock, hip-hop. But I've found if you listen to the radio stations of something more "highbrow" like classical or jazz - the stuff on the air tends to be boring and inoffensive (not that I'm looking for "offensive" music). Generally speaking the people who control music programming try to appeal to the least common denominator. Meaning a lot of bland - think of the pictures you typically see in hotel and motel rooms and that's what applies to music. Classical rock stations tend to have relatively high quality but overly narrow selections so discoverability is limited (there is almost no chance you will ever hear a Mahavishnu Orchestra track). Video game music isn't immune to this problem - how many times have you heard a live orchestra or cover band play the same old themes from Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Castlevania, Sonic, Final Fantasy, and Halo? Or try the Slacker Radio VGM channel - same problem (and rant to Slacker - if you're gonna play a Zelda medley can you do better than that same old one that sounds like it's playing on a $100 wavetable MIDI card from 1994?). Anyway bottom line - both artists and music programmers try to find a balance between mass appeal, quality, and originality - the scales are usually tipped in the direction of mass appeal, regardless of genre

3) My tip for actively discovering new music - give any track 1 minute to decide yes or no if you like it. And listen to a lot of tracks. Even if it's from a genre or artist you don't care for. Remember that artists can and do evolve and sometimes go off the rails on the same album. Do you associate the rock band Incubus with traditional Asian instruments? If not try Aqueous Transmission. Or the Eagles of Hotel California fame - they wouldn't do a 7 minute instrumental of new age / fantasy rock that could just as easily be from a video game or David Arkenstone album, right? If you thought no, try Journey of the Sorcerer. And outside of licensed music to Rock Band, The Beatles have no connection to video game music do they? Well Paul McCartney "the most successful composer and recording artist of all time, with 60 gold discs and sales of over 100 million albums and 100 million singles" did the soundtrack for Destiny (haven't heard it yet myself). Giving 1 minute to discover new music is a small price to pay and there will be pleasant surprises

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...