Mafia of the Manly Men

Excellen Browning

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeahhhh good job guys! In retrospect I probably shoulda warned you guys that Bizz was gonna kill me and told you to go after Psych buuuut it worked out anyway so yeahhhh.

Also talking in code is awesome

That is probably the worst attitude you could have

shinori policy vig

i need a list of policy vig targets for this site. so far i have impy & shinori, who else

Endgame portion one: roles.

The trick to this mafia game was that A) there was no doctor, just two bodyguard roles and the oneshot self protect and protect on the JoaT. The other trick was that several people didn't know the full extent of their powers.

[spoiler=kenshiro kasumi/Helios]

Dear [player],

You are Kenshiro Kasumi

You are the 62nd successor to Hokuto Shin Ken. You are known in Shang-hai as Wang-Yan a.k.a. the God of Death. After meeting your old peng-you Li Yong-Jian, you learn of the trouble the Qing Bang and decide to return to Shang-hai to once again fight for your Peng-you. You are a chain smoker, bot for whatever reason have a better sense of smell than a dog's.

At night you may reply to your role PM with one of the following:

"Night X - <USER> You are already dead". That night, you will kill <USER> regardless of any protections. However, if you kill one of your Peng-you will commit suicide out of shame.

"Night X - Smell <USER>". That night you will use your extraordinary sense of smell to learn your target's alignment.

"Night X - I will protect my Peng-you <USER>!". You will protect <USER> from all lethal night actions.

"Night X - Stay Awake". You will stay awake, all night actions including lethal ones will be blocked, and you will learn who visited you that night.

However you may only use all of these above powers once. In short, you are the Jack of all Trades.

You are allied with the town. You win when all threats to the town have been killed.

Kenshiro was the JoaT and had some obviously OPd powers, though this was counterbalanced a bit by the Yasaka likely killing him within two or three phases. Additionally, if the Virgin had been killed either JoaT or Vig would have gotten a dayvig instead of the lynch. He could also not be harmed by the vig. Also really would have died had he shot town. Also one of the two targets for Pan Yu-Ling/Li Xiu-Bao

[spoiler=ramon kasumi/Iris]

Dear [player],

You are Ramon Kasumi

You are the younger half-brother of Kasumi Kenshiro and the 63rd successor to Hokuto Shin Ken. Later in life you become known as Ryūken and adopt a boy, who you name Kenshiro, after your own brother. This boy will go on to become the main character of Hokuto no Ken, however that isn't relevant here.

At night you may reply to your role PM with "Night X - Defend <USER>". you will protect <USER> from each and every night action that targets <USER>, undergoing them yourself. In short, you are the Reverse Martyr.

You are allied with the town. You win when all threats to the town have been killed.

One of the standard roles. Ramon also took a bullet for whoever he protected. Initially I thought about letting the powers the JoaT didn't use transfer to this guy on his death, but I figured that'd give the town too much lategame power(since they were already more or less ensured a powerful lategame)

[spoiler=Charles de Guise/BBM]

Dear [player],

You are Charles de Guise

You are a French Jew and colonel in the French Army. You are stationed in Shang-hai. You have a sister, Sophie, who suffered a trauma when escaping Nazi Germany after her husband got sent to a concentration camp. You are a master of Hokuto Sonka Ken. Your goal is to turn Shang-hai into a safe haven for Jews.

At night you may reply to your role PM with "Night X - Investigate <USER>". You will learn what your target's role is by the next day. In short, you are the Role Cop.

Standard rolecop.

[spoiler=Lui Fei-Yan/scorri]

Dear [player],

You are Liu Fei-Yan

You are the second student of Wei Rui-Ying and a master of Kyokujuji Sei Ken, an offshoot of Hokuto Ryuka Ken. You are an assassin with a kind heart and you take care of several orphans.

At night you may reply to your role PM with "Night X - Assassinate <USER>". You will engage in mortal combat with your target in an attempt to assasinate them. However beware, some people are stronger than you, and bad things may happen to you if you target such a person. You maybe also only perform your action on odd nights. In short, you are the Vigilante.

The vig. Couldn't kill Kenshiro, Liu and Yasaka. Would have been killed had he targeted Yasaka. Also one of the two contenders for the dayvig after the vrigin's death.

[spoiler=Pan Guang-Lin/Paperblade]

Dear [player],

You are Pan Guang-Lin

You are the leader of the Qing Bang, a Shang-hai gang that used to be top dog. You were top dog for some years, however a couple of years this changed and the Hong Hua Hui took control over Shang-hai. You were kidnapped and tortured for a full year. Having been rescued you set on your way to cleanse Shang-hai of the Hong Hua Hui.

Because you are the leader the Qing Bang, all your lynch votes count as 2 votes. In short, you are the Mayor.

Immayorclaimtome. Second target for Pan Yu-Ling (Li Xiu-Bao). Role powers would have transfered to her after this player's death.

[spoiler=Pan Yu-Ling/Li Xiu-Bao/Shinori

Dear [player],

You are Li Xiu-Bao[Pan Yu-Ling]

You suddenly turned up at a warlord's camp in Northern China with all of your memories wiped from your memories. In time you came to replace the warlord as the leader of his army and have fought many skirmishes with the Japanese army. However things turned for the worse and you are now in Shang-hai to negotiate the surrender of your army to the Japanese.

[You are the sister of Pan Guang-Lin. You were promised to Mang Kuang-Yun as payment, however by that time you had already fallen in love with Kasumi Kenshiro. In a fit of rage Kuang-Yun kidnapped you, erased your memories and left you with a Northern Chinese warlord, who you came to replace. You came to Shang-hai to negotiate about your army's surrender the Japanese army. You feel you might find some answers.]

At night you may reply to your role PM with "Night X - Will <USER> fill in the missing pieces?" You will meet with <USER> and you may recognize him, restoring your memories

The Amnesiac. Needed to target Kenshiro or Pan. Role flavor would have been changed, but no power gotten until after Pan Guang-Lin died. In that case, this player would become the mayor. And if the player had hit their target, the vote would have weighed 2.5 votes, making this role a lategame cannon. One other shenanigan was that this player would have been kidnapped for a day if they decided to target mafia with their question.(not the SK though)

[spoiler=Ye/Aere]

Dear [player],

You are Yè

You are one of the bosses of the Qing Bang. During the time the Hong Hua Hui ruled Shang-hai you were often forced to fight in death-match style fights and as a result of this you have become disfigured and your body has become covered in burn wounds. You used to be a real hotshot gunslinger, but due to your severe disfigurement and you can't do anything anymore but everyday tasks like driving cars.

At night you may reply to your role PM with "Night X - Protect <USER> with my life!" Because you have been so horridly disfigured, you have started to value your life below that of others. If <USER> is hit with a killing action that night you will take the hit and die instead of <USER> . In short, you are the Bodyguard.

Standard bodyguard. Nothing to see here. Initially thought about having the mayor power transfer to him in the event of the Pan siblings being dead.

[spoiler=takeshi kitaoji/eclipse]

Dear [player],

You are Takeshi Kitaoji

You are the head of the Kitaoji Zaibatsu and the founder of Towa Women's University. The Kitaoji Zaibatsu is one of the largest business conglomerates in Japan and it has branches in Shanghai as well. The life of you and your daughter were once saved by a certain student of Hokuto. Grateful to him, you decide to help him out.

At night you may reply to your role PM with "Night X - Keep an eye on <USER>" Your men will keep an eye of who <USER> visits and who <USER> is visited by and they will report back to you by the dawn of the following day. In short, you are the Tracker and Watcher.

Standard overpowered tracker/watcher role. one of two roles I had expected to carry the town.

[spoiler=Liu Zong-Wu/Elieson]

Dear [player],

You are Liu Zong-Wu

You are a student of Hokuto Ryukaken and its current grandmaster. Your family was murdered by Du Tian-Feng. Driven by revenge, you for reasons unknown ended up joining German army as an officer and even had a chance to kill Hitler. You didn't because you felt he was not worth killing. Interesting trivia; you ripped your wife's nipples off when she tried to dissuade you from joing the Nazis. In the recent past you have renounced your evil ways and became a monk, and started preparing for your destined fight with Kenshiro Kasumi.

Du Tian-Feng's face has been carved into your memory, and you know he is not in this game.

Even though you have renounced your evil ways certainly not everyone believes you. When you are investigated by a cop they will receive the following role PM or a part of it:

[Dear [player],

You are Liu Zong-Wu

You are a student of Hokuto Ryukaken and its current grandmaster. Your family was murdered by Du Tian-Feng. Driven by revenge, you for reasons unknown ended up joining German army as an officer and even had a chance to kill Hitler. You didn't because you felt he was not worth killing. Interesting trivia; you ripped your wife's nipples off when she tried to dissuade you from joing the Nazis.

Every night, you may respond to your role PM with "Night X - Kill <USER>". You will use our own might and that of the German army to kill your target.

You are allied with yourself. You win when you are the last one standing.]

In short, you are the Miller.

Forgot to forbid him to claim. Which was a bit of a damnit! Anyway, he got a name in case someone tried to fakeclaim a certain guy, couldn't be harmed by the vig, and would have killed the SK if he tried to shoot him. Nothing else to say about this one really.

[spoiler=Erika Arendt/Camtech]

Dear [player],

You are Erika Arendt

You are a small Jewish girl from Germany with a photographic memory. You have a catalogue of hidden valuable artwork called "The List of Hope" memorized. You were brought to Shanghai by a certain protector, and in Shanghai you are protected by Liu Fei-Yan.

Because you are a small child, you getting lynched or killed will cause an enormous uproar and various... things... to happen. In short, you are Virgin

In contrast to what Cam seemed to think about his role, what would really have happened is Kenshiro or Lui getting a dayvig instead of a lynch, the following day phase. This was basically a shenanigan role.

[spoiler=Mang Kuan-Yun/Psych/Snike]

Dear [player],

You are Mang Kuan-Yun

Commonly known as Ling-Wang, you are a student of Hokuto Sonkaken. You have mastered the forbidden art of Hiko Hen'i during your training. You are the one who supressed Pan Yu-Ling's memories and also kidnapped because of your unrequited love for her and because she fell in love with a certain Japanese man.

You are slowly dying from your self inflicted perssure points and your last wish is to fight opponents who are worthy of killing you.

At night you may reply to your role PM with "Night X - Make <USER> forget" You will use your pressure point manipulation skills to make them forget who they wanted to target. In short, you are the Roleblocker.

You are allied with the mafia. You win when you have achieved parity with the rest of the town.

First mafia dude. Stopped every role power including kills except for the mafia kill.

[spoiler=Zhang Tai-Yan/nightmare/San]

Dear [player],

You are Zhang Tai-Yan

You are the Hong Hua Hui's number 2 man. You are a student of Hokuto Sōkaken, you are the current master's adopted son and share no blood relation with Zhang Lie-Shan. Your hobbies include killing newlywed men and then kidnapping and raping their wives. This has earned you the title of "Bride Thief".

At night you may reply to your role PM with "Night X - Kidnap <USER>". You will use all your years of experience to kidnap <USER>. <USER> will not be allowed to have to talk about the game with anyone in any way or form for the following day phase.

You are allied with the mafia. You win when you have achieved parity with the rest of the town

Standard kidnapper, would not act as a roleblocker.

[spoiler=Zhang Lie-shan/Strawman]

Dear [player],

You are Zhang Lie-Shan

You are the son of Hokuto Sōkaken master Zhāng Da-Yan and Zhāng Tai-Yan's older step brother. You used to serve in the Beiyang army, but you joined the National Revolutionary Army after the collapse of the Beiyang government and eventually made it to general. You are a giant at least 4 meters tall however you try to kill just about everyone who brings up the topic of your abnormal size.

At night you may reply to your role PM with "Night X - Place informants on <USER>". You will use the spies at your disposal to spy on <USER> and any night results <USER> receives, you will also receive. In short, you are the Informant.

You are allied with the mafia. You win when you have achieved parity with the rest of the town

Was originally a framer, but kaoz thought that would make the mafia too OP so I switched it to informant.

[spoiler=Jean Carne/Rapier]

Dear [player],

You are Jean Carné

You are the chief of police at the Shanghai French Concession. You let the Hong Hua Hui go about their business without police interference and receive massive bribes from them in return.

You are without a doubt scum, but since you are also the chief of police you will appear to have the following role PM when investigated by a cop:

[Dear [player],

You are Gitanesdeau

You are the chief of police at the Shanghai French Concession. Even though you are police, you are a supporter of the Qing Bang because you realize you can never stop crime and because the Qing Bang wants to coexist with Shanghai, not suck it dry like the Hong Hua Hui. (Yes I know you get mentioned... once... in the story, but I needed a good guy for a cop role and you were basically the only one available)

At night you may reply to your role PM with "Night X - Investigate <USER>". Your police department will carry out an investigation on your target and you will learn of your target's alignment. In short, you are the Alignment Cop.

You are allied with the town. You win when all threats to the town have been killed.]

In short, you are the Mole.

You are allied with the mafia. You win when you have achieved parity with the town

The mole role. Admittedly a weak claim but w/e.\

[spoiler=Yasaka/Levity]

Dear [player],

You are Yasaka

A mysterious green-eyed warrior, you are the descendant of the Yuezhi people who carries a 2000 year old grudge against the Hokuto. You are a student of the Seito Gekken style, on which Hokuto found its basis. You from time to time claim your name means "to see God" in ancient Hebrew. You have come to Shanghai to sacrifice the men of Hokuto to your God. You hold a grudge especially against Kasumi Kenshiro, for it was his ancestor who caused the grudge.

Every night, you must respond to your role PM with "Night X - Fight <USER>". You will have a duel to the death with <USER> to please your God. This will usually kill them, but might end up killing you instead. You have been warned. Not fighting one night will make your God displeased and he will smite you down with lightning.

You win when you fight Kenshiro Kasumi. Alternatively, when Kenshiro Kasumi has died, you win when you are the last one standing.

Serial Killer who had to kill Kenshiro to win, or if that didn't work out, the entirety of the game. Would have killed everyone they targeted except for Liu Zong-Wu, who would have killed them.

Game sheet with night actions:

https://docs.google....WTVaRVJkSWRfQmc

Edited by Daigoji Excellen

eh, letting the miller claim miller is fair. if you claim miller you're a policy vig target if you don't make yourself obvtown because you could very well be scum

plus points for using informant btw because that role is super cool and underused in forum mafia

Helios

Wasn't very useful in-thread and made some noteworthy posts and scumreads.Vvoting BBM for his continuous shifting wasn't a solid reason IMO, but he seems to have started the strawman lynch on D2, though I'm surprised he didn't expand on it more. His night 1 use of the alignment check made sense, and him shooting Kay on N2 also made sense, even though Paperblade had to talk him into it. Overall Helios's D1 was subpar, but the rest of his game was decent. I think he needs to work on his posts.

scorri

I don't think scorri played poorly on D1. I think several others played poorly and misinterpreted her, which is what caused the votes on her. Seems to have suspected Aere throughout the day, voting and eventually killing him. I'm not sure I agree with the strong scumtell on Aere she seemed to have, but I'm a mod and look at the game in a very different way, so whatever. She played well IMO and got killed by levity on N1.

Aere

I don't think he played well, and was even a bit scummy. Did a lot of voting around, never really expanding on his reasons, and at one point even said he wanted Iris to roleclaim for her Strawman vote, which is just a horrible overreaction. And yes, he did OMGUS. Needs to work on his posting, as well as his post analysis.

Paperblade

Played well. Had solid scumtells and more or less lead the town to the right lynch, seemingly every phase. The only point where he messed up in my opinion, was when he started arguing with eclipse.

Elieson

Claimed miller right from the getgo, which I think was done in a pro town way, and kept this attitude up till the end. Had solid reads. Overall solid play.

BigBangMeteor

His in-thread performance was pretty poor. Too much waffling and second guessing and flipping. Also claimed way too early IMO. Did have decent targets for his cop role, though.

Iris

Was active which made me a happy panda. Unknowingly helped Levity win. Had a pretty good performance overall.

eclipse

Made good use of her role and her information gathering, and overall played the night phase and her night results well, though in my opinion her posting needs some work. Her posts tend to be hard to read the intent of, and for overall performance I recommend you adapt a more obvtown posting style.

Shinori

Too much waffling and second guessing, also pretty poor scum reads in my opinion. Needs to work on his posting style and his post analysis.

Camtech

Dude I don't know why you always wanted to get yourself killed when you didn't even knew what would happen. Overall play was similar to Shinori and BBM. Too much waffling, too much flipflopping and too much second guessing.

Nightmare / San

Nightmare was inactive. I don't think he seemed scummy to the town on D1, which is good. He subbed out like halfway through N1 and was replaced by Kay. Kay followed Psych's plan for the night without question. Then followed it up by playing her usual scummy self on D2. The only reason she survived D2 was because Strawman was also obvscum. Again followed Psych's plan for N2 and was killed. San played poorly and I don't think she cared much for this game. This is in stark contrast to her performance in the big OC faction games of times beyond us.

Strawman

Played relatively decently in-thread on D1. At least in my opinion. Also followed Psych's plan for N1. However started not making sense on D2 and was lynched in the end.

Rapier

Rapier didn't start off too bad, but messed up when he started getting tested for reactions (at least that's how I see it) and also not being around to defend himself against the late-D1 wagon that caused his lynch. Really needs to work on his posting. I'll give you a short tip here; before posting ever, get a clear idea of what you want to say in it and/or what you want to achieve with the post.

Psych/Snike

Psych more or less lead the scum team and managed to keep himself off the scumlist till D3. So I suppose that if any of the mafia deserves a MVP award, it's psych. For N1, he decided it was a good idea to roleblock eclipse(random), kidnap BBM and inform on BBM as well. And finally to kill Elieson. This was overall a sensible plan. Then on D2 tried to have strawman some misinformation on possible SK's, however this got blocked by the most profilic players already having filled up their CPS. Claimed his role on D2, basically replacing his mafia wincon with the town wincon. Decided they would kill eclipse on N2, and let them idle. I once again think this was sensible. Then gave up on D3 and had Snike sub in. I think Snike tried to profile himself as a Fool, but town didn't buy into it, and he was lynched.

Overall I think Psych played decently, and was the only one in his team doing so, though his downfall seems to have been his role claim.

Levity

It was a joy for me to see Levity play. She was also the only player whose role wasn't RNG'd, because I wanted to see her play a role I thought she'd enjoy playing. In any case, she played obvtown in-thread and went after Kenshiro beautifully. She won on N2 and outright deserved it. A nominee for overall MVP.

Awards:

Overall MVP: Levity

Town MVP: Paperblade

2nd town MVP: eclipse

Mafia MVP: Psych

Best upcoming player: Helios

See, the thing is, if we had mislynched Iris, I would be forced to kill BBM/Cam so that I wouldn't get my ass immediately lynched, maybe. If the virgin died the cop has another night to clean someone (I didn't know who the cop was exactly + hook flavor fucks me over), which leads to my loss on lylo. If the cop dies the virgin gets lynched for safety and I lose probably on mylo. If we mislynched Cam instead, I lose in a similar fashion. So i decided to speed the game up a bit in a sense with a bit of a long shot (fool). I was told Psych surrendered and subbed in so that you could have a proper endgame.

The last time I was an SK that had a chance of dying in a fight, I died in the first fight

that I initiated, phone hates me

So I was actually pretty convinced that I would die and since it looked like I would have died unless I found Kenshiro before the mass roleclaim phase, I fished like a motherfucker

Snike, my plan was to get a Shinori or Iris mislynch and kill Paper.

But yeah. I don't actually think my roleclaim was the problem. It was having the town lynch correctly every single day. I was extremely outnumbered early on.

shinori policy vig

i need a list of policy vig targets for this site. so far i have impy & shinori, who else

Player slots that sub in/out

edit: Helios killing Kay also hurt, Psych

If Helios hadn't shot Kay for whatever reason, we would have had to lynch her Day 3, so you'd then kill me or something which would make it 4/1. A Cam lynch would have lost the game for the town at that point I believe (3/1 after lynch, 2/1 after you kill, and then they can't lynch)

double edit: also, I don't remember if I told scorri after she died or Kaoz this (I'm pretty sure I told someone this), but I unvoted her because her refusal to claim made me think she was either a power role or scum. I didn't say this in the thread because it's a big neon "Kill This User, Mafia" sign, but she died anyway

Edited by Paperblade

Hey now Paper didn't need to convince me to kill Kay, I was gonna do it anyway. In fact I was a lot more confident Kay was scum than Strawman, so I knew I wouldn't miskill. Since I knew Bizz was going to kill me I wanted to make sure I left off on a good note and didn't screw the town over. That was some bad luck that I told Bizz who I was though even though I assumed she was the SK. Oh well town still won.