Agro's Free and Awesome DSFE MIDIs for Use in FE Hacks

Agro

In an effort to improve the overall quality of hacks, much like the FEditor Animation topic, I'd like to release some MIDIs that I've been rearranging to the general public so that they may use this music and flourish. They are all from FEDS and I used the program NDSSNEXT to rip them. These have been made for use with FE7's native instruments (kudos to Mariobro3828) and are NOT compatible with general MIDI due to the nature of the drumkits. If you decide you want to edit them, good luck--they're a mess. Obviously there is a step down in quality between the DS and GBA--there's not much I can do except shrug and move on because the DS has 12 tracks while the GBA has only 8, so I had to compromise. If you have any questions or problems, just ask! Though I think everything is pretty self-explanatory.

[spoiler=How to use the MIDIs]Simply go to this topic and Paste-Write (in HxD that's Ctrl+B) the code into some free space in your ROM. Write down the address you put it in somewhere secure. Then use Zahlman's Song Editor to do the following:

open [RomName] (hit Enter)

convert [-e/-l values] [address of instruments] [MIDI name] (hit Enter)

burn [track you want to replace * 8 + 69D6e0] [offset where you want the midi to go] (hit Enter)

close [RomName] (hit Enter)

So mine would be like this:

open fe7

convert -e105 -l9 0xd80000 Advance

burn 0x69d9b0 0xd81000

close fe7

because the song:

• ends at 105 beats
  • begins again at 9 beats
  • I pasted the code into my ROM at 0xD80000
  • is called Advance(.mid, but you don't have to worry about that)
  • will be taking over the main theme (0x5A * 0x08 + 0x69d6e0 = 0x69D9B0)
  • is going to be written to the address, 0xD81000.

The .bin is included for kicks if you know how to use it.

[spoiler=Player Phase Themes]Advance (-l9 -e105)

Endless Battle (-l8)

Footsteps of Fate (-l17)

For Liberty (-l0:12)

Hero's Destiny, A (-l0)

Holy War (-l8)

Liberation (-l0)

One Who Carves a New History (-l0:6)

Time to Act, The (-l4)

Young Light (-l0)

[spoiler=Enemy Phase Themes]Blade of Treachery (-l0)

Murderous Puppets (-l0)

Onset (-l0)

Those Who Approach (-l0)

[spoiler=Battle Themes]Days of Training (-l0)

Tearing Shadows (-b23 -l2)

[spoiler=Event Themes]Combining Our Strengths (-l0)

Come, Join Us (-l4)

Conspiracy (-l0)

Keep Marching On (-l0)

Mischievous Heart (-l3)

One Who Accepts Fate (-l0)

People's Lament, The (-l16)

Proud Commander, The (-l12)

Puppets Don't Cry (-l0)

Theme of Love (-l3)

Trouble! (-l0)

Uninvited Guest, The (-l0)

With Heads Held High (-l1)

[spoiler=Other]Light and Shadow (-l0:12)

While I do request that you credit me (Agro) for them, I would also ask that if you make any improvements to the MIDIs that you upload them here so that I can update them and we can all use the same, better MIDI. My work, of course, is far from done--there are still many more songs I'd like to do, so watch this space. you can also thank me by subscribing to my channel

peace out fellas

Edited by Agro

Damn, this is really good, man. I approve. I *might* actually use one or two of the songs for one or two maps in one or two hacks, haha, because they're like too good not to. You must have done a LOT of editing to get'm to sound this great, because I've spent hours on mine for them to just sound "okay" >_>'

Damn, this is really good, man. I approve. I *might* actually use one or two of the songs for one or two maps in one or two hacks, haha, because they're like too good not to. You must have done a LOT of editing to get'm to sound this great, because I've spent hours on mine for them to just sound "okay" >_>'

so much program changing :sob:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Updated some of the old ones to have better string samples which can be found in Part IV, which you can listen to here. Make sure you repoint them, and don't just overwrite the old ones, because these are bigger than the last ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These are amazing! I have to ask though: why make Early Initiative and not Late Initiative?

Late Initative doesn't sound all that great with FE7's instruments... the strings kind of suck. I'm still working on making one that sounds good :):

I've been meaning to post these for a while so HAVE SOME EVENT MUSIC (right click > save as...)

Conspiracy (-l0)

Keep Marching On (-l0)

Mischievous Heart (-l3)

One Who Accepts Fate (-l0)

People's Lament, The (-l16)

Puppets Don't Cry (-l0)

Theme of Love (-l3)

With Heads Held High (-l1)

Also MOAR ENEMY PHASE:

Murderous Puppets (-l0)

And a new version of Footsteps of Fate that DOESN'T SUCK:

Footsteps of Fate (-l17)

Edited by Agro

I know you can make it work the one's you're put out so far are terrific! laugh.gif

And if you're doing LI I guess Strike and Adversary are next wink.gif

And I know Arch will love you forever if you make an awesome Off to War gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

Edited by Brendor the Brave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Moar song! I haven't abandoned this topic just yet. Previously I thought The Proud Commander was impossible to do but with some good ol' fashioned transcription and some smart use of instruments I think I managed alright. Fact: the "drum" is a snare + timpani. CRAZY RIGHT?!

The Uninvited Guest (-l0)

The Proud Commander (-l12)

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-d7KkPSjBo

Edited by Agro

• 5 months later...

Not dead yet! Just finished working on a new series of songs. It's all of the player themes redone using the ELF method, which means more expressive notes and panning. I've also begun importing samples from other games. I'm trying to keep this to a minimum since it can complicate the process a little but the results are undeniably so much better! I'll be using the ELF method from here on out, as well, so you can abandon Zahlman's Song Editor. I'm going to write up a tutorial on how to insert them (it won't be that hard, don't worry!) but here is a little preview of what's to come.

Edited by Agro

Not dead yet! Just finished working on a new series of songs. It's all of the player themes redone using the ELF method, which means more expressive notes and panning. I've also begun importing samples from other games. I'm trying to keep this to a minimum since it can complicate the process a little but the results are undeniably so much better! I'll be using the ELF method from here on out, as well, so you can abandon Zahlman's Song Editor. I'm going to write up a tutorial on how to insert them (it won't be that hard, don't worry!) but here is a little preview of what's to come.

Now to get started on the enemy and battle themes!