7/26- Ike

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely my least favorite of the redesigns (although Elincia is a very close runner up). What really bothers me is the right arm, looks like the sword is part of the arm, rather than the hand holding it.

I'm making this my avatar just to spite you all, and to force you to see it whenever I post a comment.

I'll make you love it. I'll make you all love it! ebilsmirk.gif

I think the most taunting part about it, is the actual design of it is actually pretty good. It's just the pose that throws it off.

I only really wish that more creative liberties were taken (a few torn parts and a belt or two thrown on would add a more "Ike"-ish feel, ya know?)

Really, it isn't THAT bad. Just not as godly as I was hoping. Roy's redesign got my hopes up too high.

when'd Ike become the Tin Man

He's going to see the wizard to find his missing arm

Accompanying him are Elincia searching for her missing leg and Micaiah searching for her missing nose

Punch no evil, kick no evil, smell no evil.

Well ... Tiamo's legs and feet look oddly small and thin in her art. And that's the most glaring one I can think of. (Although DLC Lyn's legs and feet were ridiculously thin as well.)

i hope that they at least play eternal bond for his dlc map music with the battle music being Black Knights battle theme, which makes sense to me given how he important he is to Ike or Time of Action,( idgaf if its PoR map with RD music)

Is the the last DLC character? What about Sigurd, Eliwood and Hector? I was hoping for at least Sigurd to appear...

Yes, Ike is the last. Sigurd's chances disappeared a month ago when Cellica was announced, and Eliwood's chance passed when Lyn replaced him. Hector never had a chance.

I didn't read the whole topic, but some people were talking about the stance of the arm. I don't have any comments about how it's drawn, but I don't think the "idea" of positioning it behind him like that is all that far removed from how he held it in FE9 as a promoted unit. The legs aren't that far from his unpromoted stance IIRC. Seems like an odd combination.

It's a matter of stylisation. Anime-style artists often take a bit of liberties with the proportioning and as long as it looks alright, there's no issue with it. This is on the grounds that the artist actually studied human anatomy enough to make such modifications work. Then there's blatant errors that really can't be passed off as stylisation. FE8/9/10/12 and most of awakening's artwork is the former. FE6/11 and some of the less well-done DLC is the latter.

Elongation of the legs is very commonly done as a stylisation. I don't see why PoR's art and Awakening's stylisation choices should be treated differently, since both are unrealistic anyway.

Why would we fault "humans" who are in a fantasy setting with no apparent link to earth for not matching human anatomy? First, one would have to have a pretty strong understanding of what sorts of conditions favor certain adaptations to occur and shit like that even assuming evolution was the reason for these fantasy humanoids; second, in FE9 and 10, where Ike originates, humans, and laguz, explicitly evolve from creatures created by the goddesses (zuanma) that are apparently not much like anything we have on Earth, so even trying to use evolution and biology is probably a very deluded way of arguing how anything should be drawn in at least some FE games.

I mean, fuck, considering how high some of these people - like Ike - jump through the air, it seems likely that gravity is much lower on Tellius, and just about every other FE world/continent/dimension. That would probably lead to differences in proportions that none of you are accounting for, and apparently not the artists who did FE9/10 art, either. There might also be a case for bionic implants of some kind in the soles of the feet of myrmidons and other units that do those weird sliding criticals (that's right - I'm talking battle rollerblades).

If there were cybernetic implants, they'd actually be slightly plausible in Awakening, although the animations also don't seem as over-the-top.

Interesting point about gravity, though. And actually supported by pegasi and dragons being able to fly.

If there were cybernetic implants, they'd actually be slightly plausible in Awakening, although the animations also don't seem as over-the-top.

Interesting point about gravity, though. And actually supported by pegasi and dragons being able to fly.

Hey...this is getting interesting.