7/26- Ike

The proportions and angles admittedly have problems, but I like the coloring/lighting and the stance, I could easily see it as a neat animation frame. I really like the thousand yard stare, too. More to my taste than FMP or a bog-standard anime look, anyway.

Edited by Rehab

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

his character design is more or less decent, i would probably even enjoy it if ike was redrawn in a different pose

it's just that the angle ike is drawn and the proportions are slightly off. he's definitely an FE9 Ike though. it's a good design poorly implemented is all.

Why would we fault "humans" who are in a fantasy setting with no apparent link to earth for not matching human anatomy? First, one would have to have a pretty strong understanding of what sorts of conditions favor certain adaptations to occur and shit like that even assuming evolution was the reason for these fantasy humanoids; second, in FE9 and 10, where Ike originates, humans, and laguz, explicitly evolve from creatures created by the goddesses (zuanma) that are apparently not much like anything we have on Earth, so even trying to use evolution and biology is probably a very deluded way of arguing how anything should be drawn in at least some FE games.

I mean, fuck, considering how high some of these people - like Ike - jump through the air, it seems likely that gravity is much lower on Tellius, and just about every other FE world/continent/dimension. That would probably lead to differences in proportions that none of you are accounting for, and apparently not the artists who did FE9/10 art, either. There might also be a case for bionic implants of some kind in the soles of the feet of myrmidons and other units that do those weird sliding criticals (that's right - I'm talking battle rollerblades).

EDIT: I've decided to be a little more productive with this post.

1) There's nothing wrong with disproportionate characters; the problem here is consistency. The Fire Emblem series has always employed semi-realistic proportions (no chibi, nothing abstract), and Ike himself has had an established design.

2) Your points about evolution and gravity are... rather unusual, let's say. I'm also not sure how they make much sense even if we assume some rather bizarre premises, since other FE characters don't have altered body types and proportions to account for this. Why would Ike be a lone case?

Edited by Westbrick

Currently trying to grab the DLC, but it seems that there's an update that needs to be taken care of. In other news, Sacred Stones is the next Spotpass team. Got Innes.

EDIT: Huh. Eltshan's the boss. 20 vs. 50.

Ike's stats:

Lv. 20 Hero

HP76, STR41, MAG16, SKL38, SPD37, LUCK30, DEF33+5, RES18, Sword A, Axe B

Skills: Late Initiative, Lance Slayer, Axe Slayer, Sol, Aether.

* joins with: Aether, Late Initiative, Sol, Axe Slayer, Luna.

(sorry, got Early and Late mixed up, fixing mistakes)

Mods: Best STR, Worst LUCK

Map: Eternal Bond

Battle: The Devoted

Edited by Remnant Sage

Currently trying to grab the DLC, but it seems that there's an update that needs to be taken care of. In other news, Sacred Stones is the next Spotpass team. Got Innes.

Ike's stats:

Lv. 20 Hero

HP76, STR41, MAG14, SKL38, SPD37, LUCK30, DEF33+5, RES18, Sword A, Axe B

Skills: Early Initiative, Lance Slayer, Axe Slayer, Sol, Aether.

not as good as Paris's, but still great....what's Ike's model?

doesn't resemble Parsi design ?

Indeed. Strange and disappointing.

Ike's skills upon joining are Aether, Late Initiative, Sol, Axe Slayer, and Luna.

Ike's stats:

Lv. 20 Hero

HP76, STR41, MAG16, SKL38, SPD37, LUCK30, DEF33+5, RES18, Sword A, Axe B

Skills: Late Initiative, Lance Slayer, Axe Slayer, Sol, Aether.

* joins with: Aether, Late Initiative, Sol, Axe Slayer, Luna.

(sorry, got Early and Late mixed up, fixing mistakes)

Mods: Best STR, Worst LUCK

im so happy they got aether and the map theme right

Checking the chapter out now, and....*sigh* I am just so disappointed with how they handled the Black Knight. He just looks like a generic general unit, he's not even wearing a helmet or any headgear or anything. :(

I know it's how they handle all spotpass/dlc units, and I'm just fanboying over this, but it really doesn't give the character justice. I'd much rather they replace him with his true identity:

Zelgius

, or just go with a different character than change a guy like him to the point where his basic look and feel are completely thrown out of whack.

The music choices for the chapter are perfect.

And yay; first sacred stones character is Amelia. That's twice in a row I got the unit I wanted the most first. Odd.

Edited by sallas09

Something else that bugs me is that Ike actually falls short skill-wise compared to other DLC characters. In RvB and LvD, Ike has Aether, indicating that his SpotPass version has it as well. So his only skill on top of his SpotPass skillset is Luna, which his SpotPass version can get anyway - unlike every other DLC character, which has some skill completely outside of the regular class set to be unique from their SpotPass version. Except Eltshan, of course.

Now, Ike does have Aether already, but nothing unique that's also DLC-unique. Marth and Ephraim also had special skills in their SpotPass versions. Ephraim has Royal Weapon, while Marth... well, Marth is weird. He has two SpotPass versions, but his class doesn't have any skills, so he has a full custom set of skills. King Marth isn't out yet, but Prince Marth has the three Dual+ skills, Luck +4, and Charisma - having Dual Support+, Luck +5, and Charisma as special skills. Meanwhile, DLC Marth keeps Charisma and adds Good Growths as a second skill, staying unique and having two special skills. Surely Ike could have gotten a special skill as well instead of Luna, especially as the final DLC character.

DLC Ephraim actually passes up Royal Weapon for Conqueror, an even more unique skill. Now, Ike couldn't have reasonably given up Aether, but Ephraim acts as another important example in his skillset, as his non-class skills are Conqueror, Carrier, and Defender: as an LvD character, he has three of them, even forming synergy between Carrier and Defender. Cellica also has three non-class skills: Royal Weapon, Holy Shield, and Dual Support+. Royal Weapon is her "special" skill, while Dual Support+ is carried over from SpotPass, while Holy Shield is a bonus. But Ike only gets Aether and Luna, two skills instead of three for the final LvD character. Why not tack on Royal Weapon as a third non-class skill and as another unique one, forming synergy with Sol, Luna, and Aether, and opening up DLC Ike as a second character alongside Lucina able to use the amazing Royal Weapon / Aether / Astra combo? Would certainly be a worthy prize for the final DLC character. But no, they didn't even bother. It doesn't make any sense.

On the bright side, his portrait actually looks okay ingame. The lighting on his face in particular seems changed from the full art and not as bizarre.

The Limit Breaker icon is somewhat amusing. It's a person on fire~

So I poked at Innes's Spotpass battle... He really doesn't want to miss (Hit 177 on Normal!).

Lv.12 Sniper

HP45 STR29 MAG3 SKL28 SPD31 LUK25 DEF21 RES16, Bow A

Skills: Skill+2, Early Initiative, Accuracy+20, Dual Guard+

Equip: Innes's Surebow

Accompanied by 9 Falcon Knights.

As I thought, Limit Breaker doesn't affect HP caps.

I got Ephraim first; I keep getting Lords first for some reason. He's got Royal Weapon for his added skill, along with a Brave Lance and Ephraim's Bravelance. As with in LvD, but it's still funny, especially since the names are still just as similar in Japanese.

His team has five Griffin Knights and four Valkyries, all having one of the Sword/Lance/Axe Slayer skills. The Griffin Knights all have Brave Axes, meaning particularly funny results on the higher difficulties, where the Brave Axe glitch means they all turn into Silver Axes when forged. It's easy to miss it in the main story since only the Dark Warlords use Brave weapons, so Vier is the only enemy affected, but it stands out more in SpotPass and DLC on higher difficulties, making all the forged Brave Axes get turned into forged Silver Axes. Hopefully the localized version fixes this so those enemies scale properly.

Something else that bugs me is that Ike actually falls short skill-wise compared to other DLC characters. In RvB and LvD, Ike has Aether, indicating that his SpotPass version has it as well. So his only skill on top of his SpotPass skillset is Luna, which his SpotPass version can get anyway - unlike every other DLC character, which has some skill completely outside of the regular class set to be unique from their SpotPass version. Except Eltshan, of course.

Now, Ike does have Aether already, but nothing unique that's also DLC-unique. Marth and Ephraim also had special skills in their SpotPass versions. Ephraim has Royal Weapon, while Marth... well, Marth is weird. He has two SpotPass versions, but his class doesn't have any skills, so he has a full custom set of skills. King Marth isn't out yet, but Prince Marth has the three Dual+ skills, Luck +4, and Charisma - having Dual Support+, Luck +5, and Charisma as special skills. Meanwhile, DLC Marth keeps Charisma and adds Good Growths as a second skill, staying unique and having two special skills. Surely Ike could have gotten a special skill as well instead of Luna, especially as the final DLC character.

DLC Ephraim actually passes up Royal Weapon for Conqueror, an even more unique skill. Now, Ike couldn't have reasonably given up Aether, but Ephraim acts as another important example in his skillset, as his non-class skills are Conqueror, Carrier, and Defender: as an LvD character, he has three of them, even forming synergy between Carrier and Defender. Cellica also has three non-class skills: Royal Weapon, Holy Shield, and Dual Support+. Royal Weapon is her "special" skill, while Dual Support+ is carried over from SpotPass, while Holy Shield is a bonus. But Ike only gets Aether and Luna, two skills instead of three for the final LvD character. Why not tack on Royal Weapon as a third non-class skill and as another unique one, forming synergy with Sol, Luna, and Aether, and opening up DLC Ike as a second character alongside Lucina able to use the amazing Royal Weapon / Aether / Astra combo? Would certainly be a worthy prize for the final DLC character. But no, they didn't even bother. It doesn't make any sense.

On the bright side, his portrait actually looks okay ingame. The lighting on his face in particular seems changed from the full art and not as bizarre.

while giving him royal weapon would be nice with Aether it doesn't really fit Ike's personality because he didn't care about getting nobility/royalty however i do think he should get an exclusive skill maybe lightning speed because of his high speed (growth). The only thing i want now is a spotpass skill with dark blessing.We have one with conqueror(Zephiel) so we could get one with dark blessing

Amelia:

Level: 7

Class: Knight

Weapon ranks: D-Lance

Equipment: Iron Lance

Sub stats(the four at the top): from top to bottom: 15, 102, 3, 18. I think it goes Might, Hit, Crit, Avoid?Not positive on that.

Skills: Defense +2, Luck +4(-___-;)

Stats: HP 24, Str 9, Mag 2, Skill 6, Speed 7, Luck 12+4, Def 10+2, Res 5

Her team consists of her and 9 other knights, all of which are for the most part superior to her. There are 5 lv. 11 knights with steel lances, 2 lv. 9 knights with iron lances, and 2 lv. 9 knights with javelins. They all either surpass or tie her in HP, Str, Skill, Speed, and Def. Her Mag, Res, and Luck all beat all of theirs(luck by quite a margin).

That's not a glitch. Based on Famitsu's guide, the game replaces the Brave Axe with forged Silver Axes on purpose.

Seriously? That's bizarre. Does it explain why?