TearRing Saga translation patch released

VincentASM

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, when I got to the gameplay, I checked my stats and saw this:

eRJCd.png

This wasn't in the patch, right? Guess I'll join the others looking for a different ISO...

I got the same thing.

Everyone is level 40 right from the start and they don't gain any experience.

It's not the patch's fault either. It was the same without it.

eRJCd.png

This wasn't in the patch, right? Guess I'll join the others looking for a different ISO...

I've only played one chapter but so far I haven't ran into anything like this.

Unfortunately, it seems emulating Berwick properly is still basically impossible even for new computers. According to Byrnes, it's unoptimized in some way that a PS2 can run just fine, but other devices have a ton of trouble with it, even if they can handle other PS2 games without issues.

You got any examples?

You'd think game developers concerned about piracy would just need to intentionally cause this "error" to force people to buy the game. Although the 3DS seems to be succeeding at the same goal without such measures.

This has actually been a common practice for a while now. It wasn't until the DS that people started scrounging around older titles looking for them, though, as the DS was fairly well-known for having a few developer "bugs" like these. Sites like TCRF have some decent documentation on them, if you're interested.

You got any examples?

This has actually been a common practice for a while now. It wasn't until the DS that people started scrounging around older titles looking for them, though, as the DS was fairly well-known for having a few developer "bugs" like these. Sites like TCRF have some decent documentation on them, if you're interested.

He mentioned FFX, I think, as working fine on his computer while Berwick wouldn't. Personally, I haven't tried emulating other PS2 games, so I don't know from my own experience.

Edit: He actually says he got Berwick to work decently skipping animations and conversations, just not great. Most animations are map by default anyway, which works with the game's pace, but losing the scenes would still be a concern. Still, if the gameplay works tolerably on at least some computers, that's a good sign and better than what I was saying earlier, even though it's still a bit limited at the present.

And now that you mention it, I do remember other "bugs". Didn't New Mystery have something like that, but it was patched? So an attempt at it, but not a successful one.

Edited by Othin

I believe FE12 did, but Nintendo's attempts--and for some reason, even the third-parties--have basically been very basic attempts to stop the playing of pirated copies. Despite having had two years, or more, of games having these "bugs," the checks never got any more advanced, and people had patches within hours of releases.

But it sounds more like your friend just had a poorly optimized setup, or maybe some hardware wasn't up to par. PS2 emulation is fairly decent, but it may still be polarized towards popular titles, where the optimization was most concentrated, and lesser-played titles not as well represented. If there's any major things you think are in the way of emulation, I could find a copy and test it out on my rig.

Edited by Celice

Post about bugs in the patch: other than formatting issues, in the first chapter's text, an instance of forgive was given as 'forive' or something like that. My brother and I also noticed that the font chosen has some artifacts in it, most notable, a few whitish pixels which stand out if you change the background of the text windows or their colors. That should be remedied at some point (the black "outlines" to some letters is also a bit garish). Another thing would be to get a better 8x3 (8x5?) font, as some of the letters--most notable the 'a' and 'e'--are pretty ambiguous and some of the shading on the letters makes reading words difficult.

edit: after seeing アイネ's video, it seems like the wonky small-font issue is only on our end, but that still doesn't make much sense, as we have absolutely no screen effects on besides the standard enlarged resolution (which is essentially just a 2x/3x/4x/6x/8x display resolution, nothing like the pixel filters).

Edited by Celice

Ok possibly dumb question but how do I patch this?

PPF-O-Matic v3.0 worked for me.

^This.

I could probably do that some time this week.

Good.

We need more testers. =)

Is it okay to use this thread to suggest possible fixes for future revisions of the patch? So far I've noticed:

- the colour of the text during the intro makes it very hard to read.

- the stage names appear in Japanese untranslated.

Really enjoying it so far, I've played through this game so many times dying to know what's going on with all these cool characters.

The intro's text could use a little darker shading.

And the stage names do need to get translated.

eRJCd.png

wtf

You must have a defective ROM, or must have set your emulation settings wrong. Mine never had this problem. Youtube help videos is your friend for help in this stuff. =)

I got the same thing.

Everyone is level 40 right from the start and they don't gain any experience.

It's not the patch's fault either. It was the same without it.

Huh?? =o

Edit: found out the problem was the tearring saga file I was using was defective.

Yes.

I've only played one chapter but so far I haven't ran into anything like this.

Me neither.

You also have to decode the file with unecm to make the ROMS playable. Otherwise the game will not start up.

Edited by アイネ

Okay, playing this and really liking it so far. I alawys wondered what this game was like, and now I can finally find out. (Also, as a member of a fan translation team myself, seeing a finished one is an inspiring thing)

A few comments/issues I've noticed:

-Nice job on the intro text! I've heard that kind of graphics inserrtion is pretty tough. But I still miss the Engrish version...

-Runan is called Ryunan in the opening scroll that displays when starting a new game.

-Like others have said, apart from a few scrol

ling issues, Ch 1 is perfect.

-Slight problem when picking men in Verje: the archer is reffered to as Ruka in dialogue, but Luca on his status screen. Which is it?

-My screen blacked out a bit when Vega appeared in Chapter 4. Don't worry, it wasn't a crash, it went back to normal afterwards. What does he say?

-Gwen has a few c,omma,problems, just after killing Eisen.

-As has been pointed out above, death quotes are blank. I probably wouldn't want to see them anyway...

General:

-I like what you've done with names. Some of the romanized ones on the site looked really awkward (Eisenbaha, Maruju) but you managed to localize them pretty well. Eisenbach is nice, LOVE Mahraj (or however you spell it, it's just an awesome sounding name) and Zeek to Zeig (though now I have to resist making "Take off every Zeig" jokes) Narcus to Narcissus is a great touch too, that's clearly the mythological refference the japanese was aiming for, anyway. Only slight issue is with Esther/Estelle. Estelle kinda sounds more natural to me. But otherwise great work. Can't wait to see what you've done with the really weird names like Krisheenu and Hagaru. Gwenchaos is still a bit strange though, and I notices it says "Guin Khaos" or something on his stats screen. But anyway, I guess that's just part of the game. Oh, and as for class names, Commando Knight to Knight Captain is a great chance, I always found the former sounded really anachronistic. The katakana for commando could alternatively be read as just 'command', hence Command Knight -> Commander Knight -> Knight Captain. Again, props on localizing that. As for other classes, Mangonel for BIG FREAKING MEDIEVAL TANKS! is... a bit odd, but it's still better than Wood Shooter.

Only other note: I see you use the term "We'll have them sandwiched" a fair bit. While it does make sense, I can't help but snicker ever time it appears, because it gives obvious "Jill Sandwich" flashbacks. Would 'encircled' or 'surrounded' be more appropriate in a military setting?

All in all, great job on this. The plot's looking like typlical FE cliche at the moment, but I still can't wait to see how it turns out.

Hmm... the game has a screwed up fadeout that doesn't fade back in when the sword fighter guy spawns on turn two in Gram forest.

It's black, and you can hear the text, but you can't read it XD

Yep, that's exactly what happened to me.

It does it in Map 2 as well, if Enteh visits the mayor's home (mayor, yeah? barf). Speaking of that chapter, Lan's Mirror is in the dialogue, but it's Ran's Mirror in the items. The way the translations were done, it's not surprising to see a few opposing name choices here and there, at least.

Uh, I've played till Chapter 8 (the part where you have the split), and the translations been pretty good so far. A few problems, but nothing game-breaking thus far.

I uh seem to have found some kinda weird glitch where I can give myself unlimited gold if I want to though, through the Manage Gold option :|

I'm on chapter ten, and I have to say, there are a rather large amount of word without spaces inbetween.

And the Raffin promotion dialogue is screwy. The yes/no options are gibberish. There's also some glitched characters(as in writing) in the title for the mercenary group that hangs out in the town.

(Speaking of which, if I don't use the dragon flute, do I keep it to use on my pegasus knight? Serenes says to buy it from the village for 10,000, but they don't really like you in the village)

Edited by L95

Noticed a few bits of dialogue that could've been handled a bit better towards the end of Map 1 that I didn't think to write down, but other than that the early parts look good. Went to grab a drink after choosing an ally but before actually starting Map 2, and came back to a locked-up game. Apparently I forgot to save, too. On the bright side, I guess I'll remember to write down the bad text this time around.

Also, it's been pointed out before, but this patch was to be applied to a specific ISO. Check the MD5 sum of the image before patching. The one that'd been on my drive for years had the wrong sum, but the PPF was still applied correctly; I didn't test it, but I assume it'd lead to the same errors others were having with the Lv40 characters and whatnot. The proper ISO's really not too hard to find.

Random thing I found hilarious: just before going to Map 9, check the enemy army. The commander's name is spelt 3 different ways, all on the same screen. (I forget his actual name, but it appears differently on the name of his army, the names of his generic troops, and his own status screem) In fact, a lot of bosses have this problem: Map 10's is called Pavlov in dialogue, but Pavroff in gameplay.

Oh, starting from Map 9, most bosses no longer have death quotes.

Also, Utna is spelt Yutona several times.