TearRing Saga translation patch released

VincentASM

I'm no professional, but if you need an editor, I'm willing to help out. Though it might be more convenient in the form of a text file instead of running through the game itself due to all the bugs still happening.

Edit: Actually, nevermind. I'll take a look at that open translation and see what I can do. :3

Edited by Kopfjager

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upon Bud's first appearance. Narcus calls Bud a "him" upon the translation. Could she be posing as a boy? Anyways, Bud is female. It proves that by looking at her gender in her stats screen showing the ♀ female sign upon her status screen by her name. She calls Holmes a pervert when she joins as he was staring at her upon the chapters end of her joining time. But another translation error to report upon her first appearance being called a "him" when it should be her. Or was she officially called a "him" at first?

Edited by 曼

It's probably a valid translation but this could use some improvement...

Holmes: "It's a Repair Staff, because it's able to repair any item."

Thanks for the info, Captain Obvious.

Sweet LORD am I glad to be done with THAT mess of a chapter. AAAAAAAARGH!

So I was told to use XEBRA as my PS1 emulator for playing my legally ripped games. How do I use throttle (AKA: Run game as fast as my machine can handle) on it? I know it has an option because I turned it on accidentally once.

Edited by deuxhero

Okay... the game crashes on the boss quote with Cunedd. Chapter 19.

I can't skip boss quotes with start, how do I get past this?

And he's the boss, I can't just skip him. :C

Wait, does he have any special boss quotes? I could try not getting the glitchy one to load.

I think that means this is the end of my playthrough. :E

NVM, I can just switch it to the japanese rom for that part lD

I'm on Chapter 19 now, and call me crazy... but I think I just killed the boss without the game crashing. I know the first time I did it, it crashed. But then I reloaded my state and only attacked him with ranged weapons. Narron attacked him with a Pilum first, and somehow it completley skipped the boss quote. Then Meriah finished him with Starlight.

UPDATE: Managed to finish the chapter without causing the glitch by following that method. You mightn't need to switch to a clean ROM at all! Video here:

Edited by Big Klingy

Another bug to report.

This one never goes past the first item in the shop and gives you the first item over and over again. It also doesn't use up the items needed to make them. This is a bit advantageous however, like Krisheenu's special talent of duplicating weapons and items.

Edited by 曼

So I've finished up and will say overall I have found this to be quite an enjoyable game.

On chapter 19 I never actually experienced the boss crash, but did experience a delay between my attack animation and attacking the boss.

Bugs and blips I experienced outside of chapter 19:

Some dialog is missing at chapter 17's start

On path 26a (haven't done 26b) some dialog is missing before the map starts

Some text wrap problems in the Bahamuk death scene (weird as its the only occurrence I've seen where the text goes behind the character portrait.)

Some text seems to be missing in the first scene after the Morse Tower part of the ending (possibly caused by me switching back between the patched image and clean image since it was only that one instance and the rest of the ending displayed fine.)

I'm not going to be too critical with the grammar and name inconsistencies. To be honest the game is very understandable and enjoyable as is. I'm just happy to get the gist of the story.

Only thing I would overall like to see if there's a future revision is the Morse Tower being fixed. I mean I'd love to see a script revision to fix some text errors, but as I said the game is enjoyable and completable

in the current patch. To be honest the script itself isn't too bad.

I really just want to thank the Translation team for their efforts.

I really just want to thank the Translation team for their efforts.

Yes.

Because no translation for this game existed for a very long time (With the exception of Firelizard's transcript that translates everything entirely up to Map 16). =)

Edited by 曼

Thanks everybody for the kind words, for posting bugs and translation errors, keep up the good work posting save states on the Google Code page.

https://code.google.com/p/tear-ring-saga-english/

For future reference, if you guys do encounter a problem, please post a save-state with the following:

1) Save-state with all the enemies in the map killed or majority. It will be easier for us to check and fix :)

2) Make sure the save-state occurs before the bug appears. This would mean reverting back to a previous save, playing through the level again until right before you anticipate encountering the bug, then save stating.

Happy to hear that people are actually able to complete the game with some workarounds as-is. For any would-be editors, we're still in need for them! :)

Edited by foxstar74

Just reached the 3rd route split, so I can finally get my Leteena event guide up. Hit that snag at the Tower of Morse (starting to call Minne "The Glitch Maiden") but swaping out the rom solved it. That's something to fix pronto though, as I can't see any way to avoid the glitch. It basically amounts to:

-If everyone is alive: freezes before options.

-If someone is dead, gives you the options, but selecting any freezes.

And it seems like you MUST go thorough the tower at least once to progress. Damn.

One more thing, is it just me, or does the translation quality take another nosedive from 'somewhat awkward but still tolerable' to 'pured comedy gold Engrish frenzy' after the 3rd route split? I'm sorry, but I was almost crying with laughter while I watched the unskippable Holmes/Katari flashbacks. It's probably supposed to be emotional, but with such gems as "You're so airheaded you're getting on my nervous." (yes, really) it's really, REALLY hard to take it seriously. Oh well, at least i'm enjoying the game on another level now. (Funny, I remember kinda missing the Engrish intro when I first started the patch. Looks like it's repaying me.)

Sorry, that was'nt meant to offend the translator in any way. It just looks like the end of the game was checked less.

I did discover something strange in the Tower of Morse that may or may not be a glitch. Holmes activated Geomancy and killed a Skeleton with an Arbalest, and it dropped a Sol Sword despite not having one in its inventory. But I tried killing it with other characters, and it didn't drop one. It really seemed like the drop only happened when I killed it with Geomancy. Then again, I think I got a Stella Sword drop from an Ogre later on, (this was after I switched to the Jp. rom, so I wasn't paying much attention) and it certainly didn't have one in its inventory. For all I know, they could just be randomized drops from the monsters, and equipping a different weapon affects the RNG for the drop. (I know for a fact equipping different weapons for the same level up causes different stat gains, so I guess it affects the RNG somehow.)

Okay, FINALLY got my Leteena event vid up. This is actually something I always considered doing if I ever played this game, even if there wasn't a translation. So thank you everyone for making this possible.

Hope this helps shed some light on one of the biggest Guide Dang It moments ever.

I couldn't have done this without the site's guide here: http://www.serenesforest.net/ts/recr_leteena.html

But Vincent, if you're reading this, there's a few slight errors I want to point out.

-First, you don't list the Amulet event. This occurs after Map 15, but I'm not sure when the cutoff point is.

-Second, Marco is not the leader of the Condor Squad. In fact, his level and stats seem to imply he's the lowest ranked member.

Anyway, hopefully this helps publicise the patch.

Okay, FINALLY got my Leteena event vid up. This is actually something I always considered doing if I ever played this game, even if there wasn't a translation. So thank you everyone for making this possible.

Hope this helps shed some light on one of the biggest Guide Dang It moments ever.

I couldn't have done this without the site's guide here: http://www.serenesforest.net/ts/recr_leteena.html

But Vincent, if you're reading this, there's a few slight errors I want to point out.

-First, you don't list the Amulet event. This occurs after Map 15, but I'm not sure when the cutoff point is.

-Second, Marco is not the leader of the Condor Squad. In fact, his level and stats seem to imply he's the lowest ranked member.

Anyway, hopefully this helps publicise the patch.

Good introduction.

This is why Rebecca is above Leteena in the tier debates. Because she don't cost you consequences like Leteena does of having to give up Kriess, Lionel, Narron, or Lee for her. It's possible to recruit Leteena with both Lionel and Narron. But Kriess will have to die before Map 26's end. You still can get him back during the ending. So the ending will get better after all.

Edited by 曼

Good introduction.

This is why Rebecca is above Leteena in the tier debates. Because she don't cost you consequences like Leteena does of having to give up Kriess, Lionel, Narron, or Lee for her. It's possible to recruit Leteena with both Lionel and Narron. But Kriess will have to die before Map 26's end. You still can get him back during the ending. So the ending will get better after all.

Yeah, I realized you could still resurrect Kriess during the ending. I didn't mention it because it doesn't affect gameplay at all, but it's still nice the game gives you the option to do that.

i'm not really one for tier debates, and tend to preffer story over gameplay anyway, but I would have liked to use Lionel, as I hear he's very good. And Lee certainly sounds like he has his uses. (Actually, I'm just thinking about trying the Defence Staff on Rishiel...) I might do a pros/cons video for all the Welt people if I ever get the time to try them all. (Really curious as to the Ruka/Raquel event, apparently

he has to DIE for her to be able to kill humans.

)

I'm also curious about Rebecca's Golem Staff. I haven't really used the NPC monsters, they seem only a little better SS's Phantoms. But Golems have high defence, don't they? That could be helpful, albiet unreliable, if you need expendable meatshields.

I'm also curious about Rebecca's Golem Staff. I haven't really used the NPC monsters, they seem only a little better SS's Phantoms. But Golems have high defence, don't they? That could be helpful, albiet unreliable, if you need expendable meatshields.

I found them useful mainly for distracting enemies, not for actually doing anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just finished. I must say, I really enjoyed the last few chapters (well, except 38. Damn crit happy warp witches!), and I didn't expect so many plot twists in the final chapter! Poor Gwen. And Richard was awesome. I really hated the guy when he first appeared for being a total jerk to Runan and Holmes, and was secretly hoping he'd be a killable boss. But what he did in Final... just, wow. That was epic. Let's just say I was updating the TV Tropes character page on this game a lot after I saw that.

As for the chapter itself, the final boss was really damn easy, maybe even easier than Idoun. (I can't remember exactly how I did against her, it's been ages since I played that game and I don't intend to come back to it any time soon, but I know she was pathetic) That's kind of a shame. Even Karla was more annoying than the was hard, though I didn't manage to kill her (stupid Dragon Mail! Not even Mag Staff boosted Sierra AND Alfred could one-turn her) Oh well, I kind of had some sympathy for her in the end, so I guess she could find happiness after the war. (Geez, if everyone wasn't such racist bastards towards Zoans she would have been really nice.)

The ending was kind of a giant cop-out, I will admit, but it was pretty nice. (especially that music) And there was surprisingly a lot of character development in the epilogue. I think Ernest might be Narron's father, (he mentions his father was a knight of Caanan, and Ernest is the only other Gold Knight you see in the game. Coincidence? I think not.) which would make him even more awesome than he already is. And Yuni has a deeper backstory than I thought.

What I liked about the story is it takes most of the FE series cliches and seems to play them straight, only to subvert them. It was really refreshing seeing The Generic Empire actually being not pure evil "let's conquer the world mwahahahahahaha!" and actually being pretty nice guys all around. I felt particularly heartless during Maps 34 and 35 though, Runan practically comes of as the bad guy by comparison to Ernest and Julius. (Speaking of which, for someone who looks like a generic White Haired Pretty Boy, he was nowhere near as evil as I expected him to be. Renshin on the other hand... oh BOY, where to begin.)

And the supposed "Generic Evil Resurrect-the-Dark-God Man" turned out

to just be doing it for his dead wife, and because he lost his faith in humanity. Hmm, kinda like a cross between Nergal and Sephiran? But this was years before FE7 and 10... who really ripped off who, I wonder.

The soundtrack was... alright. IMO better than Sword of Seals, but not really that memorable compared to the other FEs. There were one of two standout tracks, like Runan's World Map theme (which REALLY reminds me of Valkyria Chonicles for some reason. Just listen to it.) the player map theme for the plains chapters and Villiage of Swordsmen. See a pattern here? All of them are heavily underused! Villiage of Swordsmen in particular is a classic example of a wasted song; it only plays in one very easy map, and you can return to it... but since it's literally the LAST map before the Point of No Return, you probably won't be doing that much.

Also, why no variety in boss themes? This game has so many memorable bosses, (Ernest, The Condor Squad, Julius, Karla, Zeig) why just give them a generic theme? I mean, there WAS an alternate boss theme... that was used in downright BIZZARE instances. Marhen? The generic boss of the first imperial ship Holmes raids? (Despite the second generic fleet boss getting the normal theme, even though he had marginally more plot relevence!)

I found a track on this sight called "Hero of Caanan", a much more dramatic remix of Holmes' regular battle theme, and its name implies it would be used for Ernest, at least. But I don't think it was ever used in-game. What the hell?

All in all, I really enjoyed this game. Not as much as my favourites in the FE series, but still enjoyable. I'm really glad I had the chance to play it, so I must extend my thanks to the translation team. The translation wasn't that bad after 30, and I could still understand pretty much everything I needed to. Though for some reason it was always the Holmes and Katri scenes that were plagued with Engrish. That really gets on my nervous.

All in all, I'd recommend this hack to and FE fan. It's great you've done this guys, and keep up the good work! I really hope my team can do just as good a job on AAI2, without the occasional Engrish, of course.

Okay, with that out of the way, here's an issue to fix: the Norzeria part of the ending (the first one) goes into glitchy garbled text after a while. All other parts of the ending are fine. Also, there's no music during the credits. Though that could just be a bug in my emulator.

Edited by Big Klingy

Klingy, if you could help me understand this issue, this would be a big help.

So, what exactly is Zoa? I'm trying to gather it all, and it was a Kingdom (?) that after the big war in the past was founded by the last of Gerxel's priests and has been their stronghold for years, leading everybody else to persecute them, until they managed to trick Canaan into becoming this conquering entity (Hence, "Resurrecting the Zoa Empire" from the text), and then they deicded to turn the tables on everybody, including Barge, which also was a Kingdom I guess, in the process.

Is this correct?

Klingy, if you could help me understand this issue, this would be a big help.

So, what exactly is Zoa? I'm trying to gather it all, and it was a Kingdom (?) that after the big war in the past was founded by the last of Gerxel's priests and has been their stronghold for years, leading everybody else to persecute them, until they managed to trick Canaan into becoming this conquering entity (Hence, "Resurrecting the Zoa Empire" from the text), and then they deicded to turn the tables on everybody, including Barge, which also was a Kingdom I guess, in the process.

Is this correct?

Yeah, the Zoa backstory was really awkwardly translated, I had trouble understanding it too. You got most of it, but I remember it saying the Zoans were actually the native people of the congtinent, they got invaded by... the Jugdians? Or something? (The name made me think they were people from the FE4 continent) Basically they were persecuted even before the whole dark god fiasco, so it's kinda understandable they've got bitterness towards everyone else. This is the motivation of

Karla, she's only fighting for Gwen to see the Zoan empire restored and the prejudice ended. I'm not sure if she knew Gewn wanted to wipe out humanity though... But by the time he tried to, she'd already become a death seeker due to losing Zeek, so she didn't really care.

• 3 months later...

Yo! Let me start off by saying that I'm really grateful to the translation team for putting this patch together. I've had a great time playing the game so far, even though there's some issues (mostly regarding the translation's quality). I had no idea before this that the team was still actively working on improving the patch and fixing errors. That's awesome! Good luck to you guys, and thanks again for being so dedicated.

I'm a new user here, and the reason I made my account just now was because I hit a game-breaking freeze at the end of chapter 15 whenever Holmes conquered the mansion. I looked through this thread and found some people had the same problem. Not deploying Mahter and not using her to recruit Frau and Sun did not prevent the freeze, and the only way I was able to bypass it was by mashing the start button once the throne was conquered to skip the cutscene trigger, which I assume was what caused the problem. I see you guys are looking into bugs, so I just wanted to point that out and hope it helps. I didn't get to see the chapter's conclusion, but at least I can play the game.

Another thing that concerns me is seeing more reports of freezes that some players can't seem to get past. The solution here seems to be to remove the translation patch and get beyond the problem spot by playing the original Japanese ISO, but I'm playing on my PSP using an eboot someone converted for me from a hard-patched ISO. If I run into a freeze on my PSP, will it completely screw me over? I'd hate to have to replay the whole game on my PC, and I'm pretty sure I simply can't transfer my save over to my PC and play one chapter on an emulator or whatever because the save file the PSP uses for PSX games is different from what the PC emulator uses (this is just an assumption).

I also see the team is asking for proofreaders and text editors. If they'd be willing to have me, I'd absolutely love to help out. I don't know much about the actual programming, but I can edit the script to fix grammatical mistakes as well as just make the dialogue "flow" better. If that's what you're looking for someone to do, please contact me as I have a lot of free time on my hands and would love to be a part of this translation. Sorry if this post was a bit long-winded, but I wanted to make a decent first impression here (hope I didn't go too overboard). Thanks again for the patch!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I didn't realize Serenes Forest now has its own TearRing Saga section. The translation patch was updated a week or so ago:

Hi all,

Maybe you don't know yet but the new patch of Tear Ring Saga was just released few weeks ago.

Changelog:

Fixed:
1./ Morse Tower
2./ Back screen and crash at some MAP as report from patch 0.8 due to missing death message/control code
3./ Line break in the middle of word

Updates:
1./ English MAP title
2./ Items description alignment
3./ VS Mode is now in English (I suggest that do not change your VS team name because strange character added too, this error also exist in JAP version)

Webpage: http://ayashiigamesubs.blogspot.com/
direct download link: http://ayashii.com/b...ing0.85.ppf.zip

Regards,

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,16802.0.html

Edited by Celice

• 4 weeks later...