Mewmew Art Land

Mew

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the Zappa squares with colours image xD.

I wanna make things out of squares/sharp-angled brushes now. *sigh~~*

So much to do and so little time!

How about... Lucia (Fire Emblem) with long hair?

WILL DO. I'm going to a gallery today after I finish my final and I have a ...99% chance to be super bored there, so I'll bring my sketchbook and start that. Though I've yet to play those games~

I wanna make things out of squares/sharp-angled brushes now. *sigh~~*

I think you should try it! You work with a limitation, in a sense, but it makes you feel more free.

yLrNC.png

Here's Lucia, AthenaWyrm~

I'm currently trying to experiment with a quicker style for character art (watercolor+digital), because this winter break/next semester I'm going to be working on a bunch of concept art and character sprites for my friends' game. I'll probably post a link to the website later when I start doing some work on it, it's super exciting--it's going to be a Flash game that's (for the time being) focused on PvP combat, and is based heavily on Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Does the digital and traditional mesh well here? I've never straight up painted over top of watercolor, so I'm not really sure how I feel about it.

Edited by Mewiyev

Dat watercolor. Daaaang.

Though, is it just me, or is the neck a little long?

b0c1bd0c27538472ee5a2d15fc73163b.png?1355363504

Yeap, I originally drew her with a slightly masculine/long face so I had to make her face shorter which made the neck even more noticably long. Fixing the face was easy, fixing the neck though, I'm not really sure how to go about doing that without losing the integrity of the watercolor in places :<

b0c1bd0c27538472ee5a2d15fc73163b.png?1355363504

Yeap, I originally drew her with a slightly masculine/long face so I had to make her face shorter which made the neck even more noticably long. Fixing the face was easy, fixing the neck though, I'm not really sure how to go about doing that without losing the integrity of the watercolor in places :<

Ah, yeah, makes sense. I don't think it's terribly noticeable, I'd been staring at it for a bit before I picked up on it, so it should probably be fine as-is since it would be so difficult to edit.

• 1 month later...

3ECCN88.png

doop doop another art trade I did, this time with Rin~ Stumpy pencil is the best set of PS brushes I've ever used, I can totally see it being used to mask 'digital-ness' that digital art tends to suffer from

• 1 month later...

Some of the fun stuff I've been working on this month~~

a3212301c65fcd624109b4f3082b9f86.png?1362111036

Part of a concept board for a Belle (from Beauty and the Beast) redesign.

583264fb77944757dfc1bfc6b88de504.png?1362110912

c0e8494168c2039cac051fb980cbe4d0.png?1362111051

Try to guess what sort of ammunition this guy deals in. I'm going for a specific class.

359642dda37c78e2d750c408c1fb35f6.png?1362111168

7603a8316a3999a37507feae05cff544.png?1362110788

Viral speedpaint thing yay ^ Trying to get better at deciding what to parts of an image to render and which parts to leave loose. Pretty sure this is falling flat because I wasn't attentive enough to his hand.

Actually with the speedpaint I think the hand is alright. I think it's the teeth that bug me the most. I think your colour keys and concept sketches are pretty wicked awesome though. The weapon silhouettes are really nice. I think on your first picture you could push the contrast between light and dark more, but I like your concepts, especially for her casual wear.

More specific: The teeth are bugging me on the speedpaint because they are flat and made up of line and don't have depth like the rest of the picture. They don't feel broken up into planes like the cheek and eyes are, which seems like one of the primary focuses.

Edited by Samias

Thanks a lot! I'm taking concept art this semester and I'm completely crazy about it, so it's good to hear that my concepts and such are strong. My dream job wee. I got similar critique in class about the final image on the Belle sheet, especially because it printed very poorly. The accent color was supposed to be that red satchel on her belt but I didn't bring it out enough, I'll probably mess some more with the values in it later since it'd be a good portfolio piece for me, the contrast is definitely muddy and low. I thought that would fit the western/space aesthetic but it became a bit too brown.

But yeah wasn't sure how to approach his weird shark teeth, I see what you mean.

d0877a3368c7b66d4957329d742f1c54.png?1362112583

Pushed it a bit more in the teeth and in a few other places, because I haven't reached that point about an hour afterwards where I inevitably hate the piece 8D

Oooh.. concept art stuff is so cool~~! I wish I could get into that more myself, but I am really bleh at technical things and rigid structures and uhmm.. perspective in general. lol

In yoru Beauty and the Beast thing, is Bell both the beauty AND the beast? (Only asking because of mechanical leg)

As for ammunition.. uHHHH.. I dunno. I am gonna guess by the bulk and the gun that the kind of shots would be like powerful but longer-reload time types. Like it shoots singular bullets/blasts/pellets and isn't so rapid-firing or precise. xD

And yay~~! Viral~! He's such a great character. I really liek yoru blocky painting technique and I still need to try that out at some point. XD

90a69d0b82580539e7bee5707cfd1cb1.png?1362185515

Oh right, yeah I didn't post Beast because his concept board didn't get made. Belle is not the Beast in my story, though that is a very interesting idea~ I gave her that robotic leg mostly just to play off of the setting more, and involve her inventor father a bit more directly in the way she looks. For Beast though, I have some variations! Not really fond of any of them, though I could probably learn to like them a bit more if I spent more time with them.

As for the ammunition, yay you're nearly there. It's a grenade launcher, for a class that I'm trying to center around explosives (thus huge collar and bulky armor.) It's sci fi so I'll probably give it a chamber for multiple grenades (so dangerous) but it would definitely be slow reload. Yay concept art indeed

This art is sweet!

I love those Beauty and the Beast designs, they're a really cool idea. My fave is the boar beast design. As for Viral, there's something about his forefinger? The way it's bending looks like it's double-jointed.

And that Lucia watercolor, i am swooning. But seriously it's sooo pretty. Also, you are really good at male anatomy! I especially like the Arwik drawing. smile.gif

Thank you, you fine fine people! And Vernalbee, you're right, he's missing an entire phalange. I tried really hard to put my finger in the same position and it was impossible!

bde6aef69cf7e3ada2d63dae1d0c03c2.png?1362508934

Pretty much the first homework I've turned in for an illustration class that I haven't spent more than 4 hours on, really losing steam right now. It's a cover for a book about voyeurism. I think this looks pretty terrible but people have told me otherwise, I guess I'll find out from my teacher tonight during crit. Digital makes me so lazy no one should allow me to use it XD

abd4373aad8e2a281a1f1a179ee16a18.png?1362507219

I posted this before and this is all I've gotten done on it this weekend D8 Losing steam so hard. Doesn't help that interiors are incredibly difficult/new for someone who only draws characters

Edited by Mewiyev

• 1 month later...

Whoo Lon'qu :U His hair looks perfect. One thing of note is to make sure his nose doesn't go too far in profile compared to the rest of the face. It feels like we shouldn't be looking so much at one side.

• 2 weeks later...

2GyRD.png2GyRX.png

Currently being amazed at how nicely color dodge layers apply

but yeah unfinished piece 8w8 I just...I just needed to show the world

2GyWp.png

2Gz6h.png

Two more unfinished...yeaah~ Hopefully I can finish all of these off this weekend. I really want to work on Lon'qu (I'll def fix his nose too) ;__; SUMMER IS COMING