Mew

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2JTOE.png

(Female) Ned Land from 20k Leagues Under the Sea

2JTOp.png

And Pierre Arronax. Yay! I'm pretty poor at judging when a piece is complete, but I am kinda sick of working on these :E

I love these outfits, but I guess if I had to say one thing it's that the fur looks like it needs to be shaded more. It has texture but it doesn't really have any directional lighting like the rest of the outfit does, on Pierre or on female Ned. Either that or the shading on the fur just isn't a dark enough value?

Ahh you're so right, I'm looking at photos and realizing that fur doesn't just glow lol. I should've used ref. :T I will definitely fix that though, thanks a lot for pointing it out!

• 1 month later...

36Rvg.png

FLAVA FLAV, style practicing junk that I got bored of really quick because her armor is too strange for words. I wonder if there's a less geared out version of her? Maybe I'll fake it :3

36RTB.png

A guy, was playing with color and forsaking anatomy as usual :D

For not updating this thread in a while, there's really not a terrible lot to show, somehow I've been doing a lot of traditional art, and also secret art! I do have some classwork that I could post but eh, I'd have to dig it out of my harddrive. Hope everything is good with you guys in the creative forum.

• 1 month later...

Well, I think it would look a fair bit more fab if you shade in the far limb and the underside of the cape. Animation is hard but it'll make it so much less confusing for yourself when you're absolutely sure of front and back, whereas this is getting a little messy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

4AnSt.jpg

Terrible rough thing I did for school, it's becoming soo hard to care. Senioritis maximum!! Try to guess what these characters are even supposed to be uwu

4AnYo.jpg

4AnY3.jpg

I reaaaally want to do a cool dragon painting for my boyfriend but I'm really torn about composition and color stuffs so I haven't really made any progress towards actually finishing something. Up there are a couple ideas I've been toying with though *3* I would absolutely adore any commentary or critique in way of these! I want this to be the best it can beeeee~

This is kind of a disappointing post because I've been doing a lot of work that I either can't show it or it's for my thesis and it's super rough. D:

Terrible rough thing I did for school, it's becoming soo hard to care. Senioritis maximum!! Try to guess what these characters are even supposed to be uwu

From left to right.

Punkass Golem Bitch

Prissy Slut Maiden

Boiler Mc'Phoenix

Loli Mc'Derpina

Susan Stretch

(Aw...remember to relax, but stay motivated--senior year in college is no joke! D: )

What immediately came to mind was the five elements:

earth, water, fire, metal, wood.

Uh, I don't have much experience in composition, but let's see...

The first one looks like the knight is sneaking up on the dragon--I don't think it really works as a battle scene as is. But hey, maybe that's what you're going for? Right now the wing looks like it's on the same plane as those pointy rocks, and it looks a little off. The left side in general seems kind of awkwardly parallel. Also, the lightest area is drawing attention to the dragon's feet, so maybe put something there, or move the light. And I think the back half of the dragon could be pushed back more, to make it look more intimidating.

Personally, I vastly prefer the second one at this point. It's really lovely, especially the colors and your brushwork! :D Two things that come to mind are:

-Move, change, or leave out the green thing in the middle; it's almost dividing the composition in half.

-Clarify the posture of the figure in the foreground. I'm not sure if the person is standing on a slope or if there's a tilted camera here. If it's the latter, the background may need to be tweaked to reflect that.

Awesome update, though. Your coloring skills are fantastic!

From left to right.

Punkass Golem Bitch

Prissy Slut Maiden

Boiler Mc'Phoenix

Loli Mc'Derpina

Susan Stretch

Pretty much this...Susan Stretch lol

(Aw...remember to relax, but stay motivated--senior year in college is no joke! D: )

What immediately came to mind was the five elements:

earth, water, fire, metal, wood.

Uh, I don't have much experience in composition, but let's see...

The first one looks like the knight is sneaking up on the dragon--I don't think it really works as a battle scene as is. But hey, maybe that's what you're going for? Right now the wing looks like it's on the same plane as those pointy rocks, and it looks a little off. The left side in general seems kind of awkwardly parallel. Also, the lightest area is drawing attention to the dragon's feet, so maybe put something there, or move the light. And I think the back half of the dragon could be pushed back more, to make it look more intimidating.

Personally, I vastly prefer the second one at this point. It's really lovely, especially the colors and your brushwork! :D Two things that come to mind are:

-Move, change, or leave out the green thing in the middle; it's almost dividing the composition in half.

-Clarify the posture of the figure in the foreground. I'm not sure if the person is standing on a slope or if there's a tilted camera here. If it's the latter, the background may need to be tweaked to reflect that.

Awesome update, though. Your coloring skills are fantastic!

Aw thanks! Senior year in college feels trivial because I have a cool job that I want to work at full time. Makes that diploma feel a little worthless :\ I'm seeing it through but it's hard to care about anything besides my thesis really.

I prefer the second one too, I couldn't quite put my finger on why the first one was lame, but you pretty much spelled it out. I was kind of going for battle preparation rather than actual battle, but that kind of scene isn't too interesting (at least the way I portrayed it.) The second one came after the first, so it probably makes sense that it's an improvement. The green thing was supposed to be bile leaking out of the monsters' mouth, but it's pretty exaggerated, and I agree that it is messing with the composition (and also confusing people). And he's standing on a slope yeah, I could clarify that with value probably.

Thanks for pointing that stuff out, I really want to get this piece to a good place.

Oh and the girls are supposed to be magical robot girls lol, the elements were supposed to tie them together Sailor Moon-style. I'm hoping we'll be given a second pass at that since he only gave us a week for design/sketch/color/completion.

The girls are all sorts of cool, though I can't help but think the poses get weaker from left to right. The first two are totally awesome but then the legs start feeling stiff and off-balance on the other three. Still, I hope you get time to iron everything out and make the poses stronger because the outfits and the concept and colours are really eyecatching.

As for the dragons, the first attempt is kind of static since the guy and the dragon end up taking the same amount of space on the screen, so it loses dramatic tension. The second attempt is a muuuuch better composition since now you have the drama of conflicting sizes and also that curvature that kinda follows the Golden Mean pattern. Also the colours are totally slick, even the parts that are subtle in the BG.

The girls are all sorts of cool, though I can't help but think the poses get weaker from left to right. The first two are totally awesome but then the legs start feeling stiff and off-balance on the other three. Still, I hope you get time to iron everything out and make the poses stronger because the outfits and the concept and colours are really eyecatching.

As for the dragons, the first attempt is kind of static since the guy and the dragon end up taking the same amount of space on the screen, so it loses dramatic tension. The second attempt is a muuuuch better composition since now you have the drama of conflicting sizes and also that curvature that kinda follows the Golden Mean pattern. Also the colours are totally slick, even the parts that are subtle in the BG.

Thanks man! The robot chicks could be really fun to go back into but this class really has quite the workload, not sure I'll be finishing it anytime soon. And yeah sounds like I'm definitely going to be going with the second dragon piece! Someday, gahah.

That said, here's some more recent stuff from that class and otherwise

4EBsn.jpg

Had to make characters from basic shapes, he told us beforehand that this was a two week assignment so I slacked off on this one completely

4EByY.jpg

Way more indepth drawings of the aforementioned characters. I really can't seem to successfully force an art style upon myself so here I reverted back to something near my natural style.

4EBC2.jpg

Another sketch, this one isn't going to be worked on anymore because the composition sucks and it took me long enough to shade the guy to realzie that XD I have a new one in progress but i didn't scan it.

4EBEZ.jpg

Chamber 8DDD My favorite X-Men character (and probably my fav comic book character actually)

4EBGB.jpg

Character for my thesis story/game thing!! Wooo -w-

4EBX0.jpg

iDK trying different art styles trying not to fail

4K1Oh.jpg

Finished (I guess?) versions of the western themed characters

4K1Pp.jpg

scene thingie with them, IDK, this took me way too long and I've ended up barely having any time for other homework this weekend >_< The crop looks really weird/forced to me here, I assumed we had to do 8.5x11 for the assignment but it was actually 8x10

Edited by Mewiyev

• 1 month later...

vR43CAJ.png

Wuhh haven't posted here in a while D8 Character design stuffz

HIIIIII how is everyone?! I'm sort of having a style crisis this semester and have been paying attention to other artists' work a lot more often. There are a vast amount of art styles in the world and I thought it'd be fun to ask you guys if you would post a link in here to an artist/art piece that you like! I feel like I've been too much in my own little world and need to consider what other interesting works are being produced. ^_^

5p4qE.gif

Thing for a game I'm working on, ULTRAVIOLENT DEMON SUMMONER. it's playable (wee unity webplayer) but I'm not posting the link because the framerate is hilariously high and he looks like he's convulsing, also only the idle animation is in >:

5p4la.jpg

Dunno if I posted this earlier but I forgot it existed. Yay sketches

5p4tO.jpg

My SWTOR Sith Sorc twin lesbian badass lady, bloop. I like to think of her as a cruel version of Sailor Neptune 83 Most of my sparse free time is now dedicated to this game, I missed it so

also, I'm still looking for different kinds of art that you enjoy but I guess no one here cares to tell me .-. I guess it's redundant with websites like Tumblr but I only have a few of your Tumblrssss

There are a vast amount of art styles in the world and I thought it'd be fun to ask you guys if you would post a link in here to an artist/art piece that you like!

• 1 month later...

big ol' art dump '14 (a dump (literally))

[spoiler=not everything in here is from 2014 though ofc]

zSR7kSn.png

Relevant~ Mia obviously, did her for MarioKirby, for the art thread's Secret Santa ^_^

oq5h9Qq.png

WIPoop, if I'm going to try to be a concept artist then I should...probably have more concept art in my portfolio. But yeah, this obviously has a ways to go

0YHJl74.png

style experimentation and a character lineup woo

SKGDqMI.png

Moar

KBLj0b7.png

what is that pose?? Don't ask me

Edited by Mewiyev

• 2 months later...

[spoiler=slightly nsfw]81yFz.jpg

Oh hey long time no see~ I'm not gonna bother posting everything I've done since the last time I posted, so have a WIP of a Game of Thrones character that I did today looking out of character. BOOBS...

Edited by Mewiyev

the scene / setting is good enough that a casual viewer like me could figure out it's GoT even if you think it looks out of character

you should have the creative license to make the character look however you want anyway. keep up the good work =)