Final Battles

Roosterofdoom

What are some of your favorite final battles? These can be final bosses, maybe last dungeons, or in FE's case, Endgame chapter. One rule: They have to be the last for the story. No extra/sidequest things. Or not. Whatever, it's your list. Here are some of mine.

Path of Radiance Endgame

Seriously, who doesn't love this chapter? Closing in on this castle, with three different routes to cover. Every type of enemy is going to be here, and you've got to cover all your weaknesses. Pretty fun.

God Hand Final Boss

Not trying to brag, but I was pretty awesome at this game. I didn't even think it was that hard. But Lord Zedd here destroyed me. Repeatedly. I lost to this guy at least 30 times, and it took me about a week to do it because I kept rage-quitting. In the end, I'm pretty sure I just got lucky. Can't exactly remember.

Ace Combat 4

Seriously, this last level was sooo epic.

It starts out with you, now the leader of your own team squadron, taking on a team of Yellows, the previously unbeatable possibly alien fighters. Then after the fight is over, you're probably going to be alone. And you've got to fly through these tiny tunnels, bomb the thing at the end, and escape before you crash. Or you can choose to skip the fight,go straight to the mission, and listen to your team go through it. Either way, you will feel like a hero at the end. And the music that plays is just... Auugh, such a good game.

Persona 3

Do I need to explain this one? If you've played, you know. This boss can take a crazy long time to beat, and you will have to bring everything you've got to the table if you want to win, just like PoR.

Especially fun if you use Akihiko. "What, you're a God here to destroy all of humanity? I'm gonna punch you."

Also, the "battle" afterwards is one of the most epic things in gaming. The music is fantastic, the MC's determination is tear-jerking, and the end is so... :sob:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

:cry: I'd give my liiife! Not for honor, but foooor, yooooooou! :cry:

Snake Eater!

:cry: In my tiiiiiiiiiime, there'll be noooo oooone eeeeeeeeeelse! :cry:

:cry: Criiiiiiiiime, that's the wha-ay! I fly to! Yooooooooou! :cry:

Snake Eater!!!

:cry: I'm stiiiiiiill in a dreeeeeeam, Snake Eaaaaaater! :sob:

I give up. :sob:

Path of Radiance Endgame

Seriously, who doesn't love this chapter?

Uh, I have an answer to this question. Yeah.

Except for the horrendously stupid ISHTAR HITSQUAD, FE4's final chapter is pretty damn good.

Obligatory final level of Half-Life 2 here.

Why am I drawing blanks on "videogames I've played" here? I'll get back to this.

EDIT: Man, apparently I'm just not impressed by most final sections of games. This is sort of troublesome.

Edited by Mr. Sparkles

I greatly enjoy FE5's endgame. fighting all the six warlords was fun. Berdo's battle theme is probably my favorite battle theme ever. Low turning this is fun also.

Gears Of War 1 Ram. Dude takes mad hits and it was just fun overall

Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Using super sonic against robotnik as a little kid got me hyped lol

Resident evil 5. the whole Wesker battle was just awesome.

1343665427[/url]' post='2079747']

Kirby Wii has the most satisfying final boss ever.

In any video game.

This isn't even a matter of opinion.

I second this. I hade no idea he had a second form.

Final Fantasy 13-w final boss is awesome. The loud music, 3 final bosses, it was hell.

FE4's final chapter is pretty damn awesome. I also like the Mario & Luigi games' final battles, and they have the music to get me into the battles. Also, Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker (no brainer) have my favorite final battles in the Zelda series.

Empire Earth's final chapter in the Neo-Russian campaign. Since it's an PC game, I should probably elaborate.

In the first chapter you were leading an modern age army to conquer Voronezh as a first step to overthrow the Russian government. While the city is well defended, you have a huge advantage since you can easily recruit the neighborhood cities and the Ukraine for your cause even though they aren't very competent.

However, thanks to time travel you are now playing on the other side of the conflict, defending Voronezh and stopping the rebellion. But after an futuristic atomic bomber nukes your main gate you find out that the rebels are equipped with Gundams and the other Nano age stuff from the boss Gundam who conquered the time machine you used. The Ukraine is the only faction still neutral so you can get them on your side but they really aren't a match for such huge numbers of Nano age troops.

Defending the city under those conditions is a pain but you have two heroes and you can steal technology from enemy production buildings to even things out. Also just like in the first level, despite being in the modern age Voronezh already can build digital age defense towers. Also keeping the Ukraine alive will net you additional resources as tribute.

The goal is to destroy the boss Gundam behind the walls of the rebells base, who naturally now has a lot more HP and power then back when you could control him.

The whole chapter is really a blast and while difficult, not in an absolutely insane fashion like chapter 2 in the same campaign.

Also, Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II. I really like the games story structure. The first thing you do is too blow up a Death Star and the last thing you do is to blow up the other Death Star. And needless to say, it's awesome.

Well, unless you use the Falcon seeing how tight the whole place is once you get inside. You will hit a wall and then bounce all over the place like a rubber balls until the ship explodes.

Even worse if you are playing the co-op version of the game in Rogue Squadron III where one player has to choose the Falcon. It's not much fun having to decide who will be the one to screw the mission up.

Edited by BrightBow

I agree with Persona 3, dat Nyx Avatar battle. The Battle for Everyone's Souls is the like best theme ever.

Tales of Symphonia 2. I know most people think this game sucks, but the final battle(s) were pretty cool.

You having to lose versus Marta and Lloyd, fighting your other half, and the Richter battle (especially the music, holy shit). Goddamn.

Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (yes, not a fight, but the last stretch of the final case should count too)

The Godot being the killer thing, with him not being able to see the blood on the snow. That was awesome. Also, the first game's Cornered theme playing <3

Not a huge list on my part; most of the final battles/segments/etc. that I've played through just don't impress me all too much or were supremely anti-climatic.

Paper Mario

As amazing as its sequel is (especially from a writing and gameplay standpoint), I just love how this just sticks to the quintessential Mario concepts but adapts it for what the game is. Mario has almost always been about confrontations with Bowser and even though the battle fundamentally revolves around counter-punching Bowser's abuse of the Star Rod and adding in damage as necessary, the ties to classic Mario titles just makes the final battle more fun, even though it's a weaker game than its successor.

Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver

Do I really even need to say anything? Just the walk to the summit of Mt. Silver and seeing the former Champion standing there should say everything.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons

The individual game-ending battles are nothing special, but the Linked Ending just brings everything together in a nice, wrapped up fashion. You just get that "epic" feeling as you warp into the Room of Rites and prepare for the final confrontation after things had been slowly building and been hinted at over the course of the two individual quests. (I just wish that these would have been made on later hardware instead of the GBC... I could see them being even better and more expansive with it.)

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Already mentioned above, but still relevant. I mean, it's a piece of cake for me to speed through now, but the first time I saw The Doomsday Zone, I was shocked and thought my friend was playing, like, some unused level via debug mode since I only had Sonic 3 at the time and my Zone counter only went up to 6... (...Off-topic, but why exactly was it necessary to retcon the Big Arm boss out of Launch Base's ending for Sonic/Tails? I mean, the timer problem was one thing, but that was fixed by stopping it when you jumped in the Egg Pod to head to the Death Egg's platform (as opposed to it continuing while you were flying and couldn't do anything in Sonic 3). The only other thing I can think of was Act length, but it wouldn't add *that* much to the stage...)

Kirby Super Star

Either Milky Way Wishes (Nova, Marx) or The Arena, take your pick. Though, all I really have to say here is "lolmirror" (as with much of the rest of the game).

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Smithy (part one) is really the only "fun" one of the two, though even that's negated by the stupid, magic-absuing Shy Guy enemies that Smelter keeps spawning.

No More Heroes

The motel parking lot finale, though easy even on Bitter (though time-consuming), has a kickass battle track, but it's still infinitely replayable.

Shin Megami Tensei games tend to have some epic final bosses.

Etrian Odyssey 1, 2, 3, and most certainly 4 have some nice final bosses too as well as the 6th stratum bosses that are more or less the cause, perpetrators, or true face of the Labyrinth.

Tales of Symphonia 2. I know most people think this game sucks, but the final battle(s) were pretty cool.

You having to lose versus Marta and Lloyd, fighting your other half, and the Richter battle (especially the music, holy shit). Goddamn.

Yeah, that was pretty impressive, I was amazed with the quality of the endgame and the plot twist was pretty cool too

Chrono Trigger was an amazing a game, and the endgame is no different.

You freaking go INSIDE of Lavos´ shell and kill the real him, if I hadn´t checked a walkthrough, I would have never known the real him was the pod to the right

[spoiler=Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume]Fighting Garm was scary because she was a literal bitch. Fighting Dad, after he half-disowns you, was surreal. Fighting every single person you betrayed. . .it's gut-wrenching and sad at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver

Do I really even need to say anything? Just the walk to the summit of Mt. Silver and seeing the former Champion standing there should say everything.

Hell yeah. I loved the battle from the story perspective, especially as a kid, working your way through pokemon RBY, then GSC, then defeating yourself from the original game was a surreal and mind-blowing moment for me.

Well, I guess one of my favourite boss battles is Kingdom Hearts 1. Especially after you've overcome Ansem, than the giant Shadow (I only know the german name, Schattenborn), and Ansem a second time. I mean, going against a giant fortress with epic battle music in the background? Guardando nel buio is great :awesome:

The final battle of Crisis Core FF7 was also pretty intense... not necessarily against Genesis, but against the army of Shinra soldiers. I mean, no matter how many you would cut down, you know that in the end, you can't win. And with Zack's memories fading more and more... it was really heart-wrenching...

Empire Earth's final chapter in the Neo-Russian campaign. Since it's an PC game, I should probably elaborate.

oh God Empire Earth

That does remind me, though, of the Command and Conquer 3 GDI campaign endgame.

Basically, the aliens show up and fuck you pretty good. So you punch them in their alien nuts while still fighting the humans you've been fighting. The endgame involves protecting one of your human enemy's bases while continuing to punch the aliens in their alien nuts just because you can. It's pretty amazing.

Advance Wars

You spent most of the game fighting against the other countries. Now, all of them finally team up against a force powerful enough to kick all of their asses combined.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

This one sticks out because the rest of the game was so mediocre. Finally, you get a boss that's actually hard while some of the best music in the series is playing.

Fire Emblem 7

Getting rushed by the 8 morphs of the game's strongest bosses is pretty epic.

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

All three endings were pretty epic. Ancel showing up to help you against the powerful Garm was sweet, and so was Wylfred having to fight all his companions he sacrificed and killing the central character of the series in the C ending.

Well, let's see...

FE4 Endgame, because of all the reasons listed above.

Portal 2's Finale: So, you have a ticking clock that Aperture Science is about to explode, GLaDOS and Chell have to work together to regain control of the faciility, all while Wheatley is trying to kill you. Complete with "This is the part where he kills you." "Hello, this is the part where I kill you!"

Final Fantasy VI, Kefka and Kefka's Tower: The tower is the abomination of Vector, the Magitek Research Facility, and the surrounding areas. Your party is split into three groups, each having to fight 2-3 bosses, and you reach the apex with the now God-like Kefka as the final boss. The final battle has allusions to Dante's Divine Comedy with its structure, which I do really like.

Mass Effect 2, the Suicide Mission: Everything in the game leads up to this, and damn does it pay off. Every scene is tense, every decision has the possibility of killing your allies, and the entire map is put together well. I like it a lot more than the London segments in Mass Effect 3, even.

Super Mario Galaxy 2, Final level: I really like the level design in the Galaxy games, and the finale of Galaxy 2 really stands out in my mind as really enjoyable.

• 3 weeks later...

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

This one sticks out because the rest of the game was so mediocre. Finally, you get a boss that's actually hard while some of the best music in the series is playing.

Sorry, but Dark Dawn was NOT mediocre. It has to be one of the best games I have ever played. The graphics were amazing, I loved the music, the characters were cool (But, as it was my 1st time playing the series, it took me a while to work out what happened in the 2 previous games), boss fights were amazing, the plot was amazing, and basically, the game in total was amazing.

I was going to say this game, but only because it was 2 fights in a row, but you were allowed to heal in between them, and then using Iris on the boss (after beating Dullahan) is ultra satisfying.

Also, the final boss of Okamiden was cool, as you got to fight your 1st companion, as well as a dark Chibiterusu.