Sword of Seals (FE6) ReDux

Dunal

I've been waiting a really long time for this hack. Thank you for releasing the patch.

I'm playing the game on hard mode and I really like that Wolt's no longer terrible, and he's even good at assisting with roy-training.

I keep randomly dying on early chapters and I'm supposed to be like good or something

Seriously, this is balls hard, when your jeigan can't reliably double mooks in earlygame x.x and hitrates are even dodgier than usual

Wolt not sucking is awesome, though. Also Silver Sword!Merlinus makes me lul.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Please don't necropost. If you need to contact the maker then do so privately.

I'll close the thread for now. DLuna, if you want it unlocked then just shoot me a message.

eCut~

• 2 months later...

Unlocked upon request of the OP~

Cheers.

I just got to chapter 20 Sacae route and the game crashes after the minimap segment before the chapter title screen D:

I'll try and replicate this with a new game refresh. Has anyone else encountered this issue before (I should have advertised that Ilia Route isn't more attractive now dammit!)? My earlier test run didn't have this occur. Might be to do with either Niime, the weather effects, or enemy statistics. I'll test some things through once I get there.

Otherwise I'll get the trial maps done. And I think that wraps up the project unless balance needs to be improved further (or bugs -- wherever they continue to pop up, with FE6 this happens...).

EDIT: If anyone wants; create a wacky team comp for me. Might make my next run-through interesting. Otherwise might go for a full-magic user (+Roy) run. Hugh tank goooo~~.

Edited by DLuna

Oh god, yes. You have no idea how glad I am to see you back man. First off, I really enjoyed this hack up to the point it stopped working. Didn't want my first thing here to be me complaining about stuff. Second, I still have the savestate/sav. file if that would help? Can you recommend a good (and free) upload site to use and I'll get on it right away.

Question: When exactly does it crash? I tested it and it works fine.

I basically loaded your .sav and played through chapter 19 again. I finished the chapter and went on to chapter 20. Here is the working example.

ch20.png

No problems for me.

Perhaps you could play through chapter 19 again and see if that fixes it? Or have you tried that? Or is CH20x that's having the problem?

Edited by DLuna

No it was 20 itself. Did you end the game from my savestate? I'm guessing it has something to do with the turncount being excessively high (290) due to me boss abusing. I wouldn't think that would affect it but maybe so. I'll try playing the chapter again, and faster and see if it works. It's weird because I had several other chapters where I drove up the turn count and the game had no problems with it.

And to answer your questions. No, I hadn't actually tried replaying the chapter, I didn't actually think just replaying the chapter might work :facepalm: I'll replay the chapter and do it quicker this time and see if that works for me.

As for the glitch itself, I would finish the chapter just fine, save the next chapter and it would go to the overworld map. Then the screen just goes blank/black instead of transitioning to the pre-chapter cinematics

Edited by Randombobman

No it was 20 itself. Did you end the game from my savestate? I'm guessing it has something to do with the turncount being excessively high (290) due to me boss abusing. I wouldn't think that would affect it but maybe so. I'll try playing the chapter again, and faster and see if it works. It's weird because I had several other chapters where I drove up the turn count and the game had no problems with it. Ah well, let's try this again.

Or maybe your potential max stat Sophia just broke the game? ; ]

If it is the turncount, then perhaps the game just got mad at you for abusing so much. Ha. Either way, it's very strange. Not sure why that would occur.

Edited by DLuna

• 1 month later...

Damn I thought I got back on this...

I played it through several times and finished before turn 30 every time and it still glitched out on me. Something I need to try though is running my characters through the front gate with my thief instead of splitting around the sides as I have been. I'm at a bit of a loss at this point.

• 10 months later...

So I finally came back to play this from the beginning. Some of it's designs were enlightening, others weren't.

Let's start with the good.

- I do feel the units are better balanced than before. Example: I questioned whether Sophia, even with her massive boosts would be worth the trouble to train up, and she was. I HAD to rely on her for the last few chapters because she was by far the strongest unit on my team. I also had her dual wielding Apocalapse and Aureola, which came in extremely handy when I found that I had pretty much no one else to give Aureola to. I just wish I managed to get those boots on the dessert chapter.

- Due to the rebalancing of weapons, I was enlightened on some of the creative designs of the original game. Example: Combining poison weapons with a tome that reduces HP to 1 (And actually hits!) is quite brilliant in it's deviousness. Certainly would make for a good ragefest submission gimmick, that's for sure.

- For the first time ever, I was shown that archers CAN be a good class. In games like Fire Emblem Awakening, the ideal strategy is to throw in your most survivable unit with a 1-2 range weapon into a large group of enemies and spread damage amongst them, and it's because of this emphasis on enemy phase damage that unit positioning and player phase in general becomes meaningless. This hack however (and perhaps FE6 in general) makes player phase the most important part of the game. The enemies have enough skill and strength that you want to reduce the amount of attacks you take on enemy phase as much as possible, and having a unit that can attack indirectly AND has the speed and power to make their one attack on player phase meaningful was an enormous boon. I even kept Wolt for the entire game. This is the first time I've ever used an archer for gameplay related reasons.

Now for the bad...

- This hack aims for a steady difficulty curve, but I found the most challenging part of the game to be Ilia, which is just before the end-game.

- In the late/end-game, the enemy dodge rates are immense. I'm okay with thinking my strategies over really hard in order to win, but the constant prominence of the RNG solidified my decision to not replay this hack despite it's merits.

- Personal Experience, but... despite Lot allegedly being the best late-game axe user according to the posts I read, he REALLY fell behind.

424c0ee2a7ab0fdb1c001dc8dc02d5d7.png

It took THREE skill books to get that Skill stat.

- The last two chapters are too much of a luck/stat war. You pretty much absolutely CANNOT win without the help of the divine weapons, and even WITH them, some of the enemies lack the weakness to it, which not only doesn't make any sense (They're dragons... and why are some of them divine dragons? This creates plot holes in the story), but it makes the stat war even worse. By that point, you're better off using the light brand at range to deal a fixed 10 damage rather than use the divine weapons. It certainly helps save uses, but hell if it's meaningful when only Roy can feasibly do anything to the final boss without getting the stuffing kicked out of him.

- More on the last two chapters, I'm convinced that the final chapter is either impossible, or requires a heavily optimized team in order to win. My Roy maxed nearly all of his stats (Defense, Luck, and HP weren't maxed), and he could only deal 10 damage to the initial divine dragons you throw at us, and they have NINE MOVE. how the heck is this possible? By this point, I started using save states and RNG rigging to get critical hits. This isn't challenge. It's a luck and stats war.

- While you managed to mostly fix the game's issues with stat and growth balancing, it probably would've been a good idea to change the events as well since the game still has some incredibly boring chapters. Pretty much all the gaiden chapters are bloated bait 'n switch fests, and we still get ambush reinforcements. While I don't mind playing prediction games and guessing where these ambushes will occur (The game often gives hints either through cutscenes or visually with the map's design), sometimes there is absolutely no indication as to where they will pop up, even if you KNOW they are going to happen (Murdock's chapter is a prime example. Pretty much a guessing game all throughout, and with a time limit no less).

Now for the more minor complaints.

- Lilina requires a rescue staff in order to recruit, since she has no safe spot to sit in while she's in her prison.

- According to my friend JadeWyvernRider, there is a village in the Sacae route that is completely impossible to save. It is destroyed on the first turn, and it's unreachable even with a warp staff because the chapter is Fog of War.

- Killer Weapons are awful now. I don't know how high enemy luck stats usually are, but even my swordmaster has trouble getting around 25+ crit. Perhaps that is intentional. I don't know.

- I don't know if this is the original game or not, but giving heroes runeswords is the most annoying thing ever. I recall a certain Ilia chapter that starts with one of these, and it took Wolt's long bow, Fir's Killing Edge, and Lilina's Forblaze to take him out on the first turn. These guys SUCK.

I think that's all I have to say at the moment. I'll report back if I remember anything else, but... yeah, I don't really think I wanna replay the hack. I didn't enjoy the late/end-game enough.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Please excuse the necroposting, but I've been enjoying this hack so far until I've run into some issues with the supports. It doesn't seem like they're programmed correctly in some cases, specifically I've had this happen with Ellen's supports, where they'll be bugged or show different characters entirely. For instance:

a5b4fc4e3805900bb77c18e7db5c077b.png

I go to support Ellen with Lugh and then I get this:

3daae17bb4c638efe8c5b3f9e50f97f7.png

I've had this happen before with Chad's support with her, and all of the other support options have worked just fine so far, but this makes me worry if a portion of the characters just do not have any supports, which worries me considering the biggest godsend about this hack is the drastically increased support growth rates compared to other GBA titles.

Edited by StairFacts

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello!

First of all, thanks for this hack. I played the original Binding long time ago, but the roughness of the early game put me off. One year later, some friends told me about your hack and I am enjoying it wayyyy more than the original. I don't know if it's a wise idea to play the "fixed" version first over the original but whatever. It is definitely much better this way.

However, I wanted to point out something. Is it normal that the manaketes in chapter 14 and 14x have 31 speed? Isn't that a little bit excesive? And are there going to be more like those? Currently going to chapter 16.

Sorry for reviving the post!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

starting this mod, but would be great if the feature pictures could get reuploaded 🙂 no info to go on atm

edit: just completed a full run of the game with this mod/hack, and i am really happy with how it turned out. Was my first ever playthrough of fe6 as well, did it on hard and it served a good challenge. 

Ray, Dorothy, Geese, Roy, Tate, and Fa were absolute beasts, total powerhouses. Like seriously, Ray with some a few boosters turned into my tankiest tank and also my hardest hitter, slapped boots on him and he was absolutely unstoppable. 525775194_ScreenShot2019-11-19at04_10_38.thumb.png.627bb1809f74349a0d418cb16e7fb733.png

Dorothy was the player phase killer god. Maxed str/skill/speed early into promotion. 1526557406_ScreenShot2019-11-19at04_10_03.thumb.png.86c14684e578cd1edff606c199ab36ac.png

And im happy i had to use up all my uses of divine weapons, by the time idoun died there was only 2-4 uses left per weapon. Felt really good since they came in clutch against the OP manaketes that were almost unbeatable without them. 

Edited by hovah
completed mod even without information to go on and did not want to doublepost.