Weed is good for you

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol Crash

One thing I will say on his behalf (and this is just about the only thing) is that weed certainly has the side-effect of lessening one's ambition. I have no evidence to back this up except anecdotes and personal experience, but it should be obvious. That said, weed done in reasonable doses is perfectly healthy (and I'm really not one to talk, given that I smoke actual cigarettes). Oh, and for what it's worth, I don't do weed. Personal choice.

And again, lol Crash

EDIT: And I know this topic's long since been derailed, but it could be fun to address a couple other things...

The difference is that you can't stop people from doing things against themselves but you can stop people from doing things against others.

What dogmatically libertarian world do you live in? We enforce people owning minimum insurance. We enforce buckling seat belts. We regulate public intoxication. We regulate public nudity. There are about a hundred and a half things we regulate that are exclusively or largely stopping "people from doing things against themselves." That doesn't mean that all forms of interventions are advisable or cost-effective, but on principle, it's perfectly fine.

I've heard alcohol in very moderate amounts are good for some old people but I'm not completely sure. Forgot the source.

A small amount of alcohol (specifically wine) is good for everyone over the legal drinking age. IIRC, it has heart benefits and reduces anxiety.

Edited by Westbrick

What dogmatically libertarian world do you live in? We enforce people owning minimum insurance. We enforce buckling seat belts. We regulate public intoxication. We regulate public nudity. There are about a hundred and a half things we regulate that are exclusively or largely stopping "people from doing things against themselves." That doesn't mean that all forms of interventions are advisable or cost-effective, but on principle, it's perfectly fine.

Many of these things that are enforced, aren't enforced in a person's own home though. Nothing is stopping people from becoming intoxicated in their own house or being nude in their own homes (homes is just an example i'm assuming here since nothing else comes to mind). I get your point though. (I'd also argue that many of those don't particularly harm the person going against it, aside from seat belts).

also public intoxication, public nudity, etc. are potentially infringing on other people's rights

That too. Although public intoxication could be argued to be a danger to others i suppose.

Edited by SlayerX

Saw a lame thread expand and I expected something awesome. Saw Crash making a fool of himself again. Oh well.

Many of these things that are enforced, aren't enforced in a person's own home though. Nothing is stopping people from becoming intoxicated in their own house or being nude in their own homes (homes is just an example i'm assuming here since nothing else comes to mind). I get your point though. (I'd also argue that many of those don't particularly harm the person going against it, aside from seat belts).

This is certainly true; my only point was that, though rare, the government does enforce positive liberties as well as negative ones from time to time. Biggest problem I have with the way weed is regulated is in the ludicrous punishments that effectively turn harmless recreational drug users into hardened criminals. You can be against weed personally and for it socially, as I am (and Crash could learn from this imo).

This is certainly true; my only point was that, though rare, the government does enforce positive liberties as well as negative ones from time to time. Biggest problem I have with the way weed is regulated is in the ludicrous punishments that effectively turn harmless recreational drug users into hardened criminals. You can be against weed personally and for it socially, as I am (and Crash could learn from this imo).

Not really, because it doen't resolve my problem with the drug. :/