Elibean Nights

Arch

here, i think i'll donate an old skill idea i had about a year ago

i think i just came up with a solid-ish concept for a fe skill

basically, a unit with this theoretical skill could spend hp to temporarily boost their movement range when moving, the idea being that they’re overtaxing themselves and sacrificing their stamina to cross the battlefield further. i’m thinking an acceptable rate of exchange would be 5hp per extra tile of movement (before taking into account terrain cost, of course)

i see it having three notable niches:

1. an attempt to make armourknights actually vaguely usable, since they typically have a fuckton of hp and, unless there’s mages floating around, sacrificing their hp to actually use them seems like a decent way to make them kind of sort of vaguely relevant
  2. for every other unit i see it as having a risk vs reward scenario potential, with applications in low turn-counting a map. stick it on a paladin, which are already pretty sturdy units, and you can take a gamble on making them a bit less sturdy to cross the map quicker
  3. it could also be a pretty effective and balanced way of making enemies more potentially threatening. you thought you were safe from their range? SURPRISE they caught up with you anyway, and while they’re a bit less likely to survive catching up with you now, they’re still around long enough to be a nuisance. hey, it’s a lot more balanced than fe13 lunatic+’s attempts to empower enemies with broken skills!
idk i like the idea

people seemed to like the idea at the time, at least

(i call it "marathon", for what it's worth)

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lyn: Sacean Pride, grants an avoid boost while on a plain

Eliwood: Charm

Merlinus: Great Merchant, have access to more inventory slots than usual.

I'll post more ideas when I get them

Is there even terrain in Rath's tale? Horses don't get terrain bonuses in 7x.

Karel's take with Astra, and Lyn's with anticipation and straifing will be fun.

Louise could have provoke or something like it, since she bagged pent by promising to protect him. Would really only be the most useful against other longbow men though.

Rankings will add some nice objectives.

I know that BwdYeti has discussed the possibility of android/IOS ports in the past, so we'll cross that bridge when it comes. It's always nice to be able to take these games mobile, after all.

Until then, I'll be focusing on my return to development with FEXNA. I want "Elibean Nights: Final Draft" to be better than anything I could have accomplished with a ROM hack. It's always been something of a sandbox, an ongoing experiment -- now, I've got a fully-equipped laboratory. I'm hoping to add more achievements, more bonus content, and a codex (among other things). Perhaps I might even create a few new maps to play. Igrene's Tale still needs to be completed, and I had work-in-progress concepts on a small story for Astor. There's also the possibility of doing a sea chapter starring Fargus (maybe I could even add a Kraken boss or something?), and a story fleshing out the relationship between Athos and Nergal has also been considered in the past. It might be interesting to write a tale starring one of the FE7x cast members, as a homage to Yeti and all of the assistance he's given me with resurrecting EN. Wouldn't want to get too crazy with adding new tales, but it'd also be a nice way to inject some new life into the project. As always, the floor is open to any ideas.

I've recently acquired a replacement laptop (after maxing out a credit card in the process, lulz; hopefully that rental insurance check comes through soon enough), and I'll begin experimenting with FEXNA in earnest once I manage to get an internet connection in my new apartment.

I think that a Fargus or an FE7x tale would be out of place, due to the lack of material, and due to the (so far) pretty consistent reliance on official material for EN respectively.

Edited by the cool guy

I think that a Fargus or an FE7x tale would be out of place, due to the lack of material, and due to the (so far) pretty consistent reliance on official material for EN respectively.

It's moreso that I would want to work in a member of the FE7x cast as a central character following up on one of the storylines that have already been established in EN. A lot of the plot details are manufactured, yet I try to derive from the official source whenever possible. There are a number of references to details of FE7x's plot peppered throughout the game already, so I don't think that a tale starring a 7x character would be too much of a leap of faith. Yeti, Myke, and I have collaborated sporadically on a "shared fancanon" of sorts for years.

Fargus was just a "hey this would be fun to make" idea.

Louise or Priscilla could get Demoiselle http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Demoiselle

Eliwood seems ideal for Charisma too.

I'd considered giving Eliwood the Charisma skill, yes. Demoiselle isn't necessarily a priority for me; I'm not a fan of gender-based skills, they've always felt to me like more of a cop-out than a creative concept.

Is there even terrain in Rath's tale? Horses don't get terrain bonuses in 7x.

Karel's take with Astra, and Lyn's with anticipation and straifing will be fun.

Louise could have provoke or something like it, since she bagged pent by promising to protect him. Would really only be the most useful against other longbow men though.

Rankings will add some nice objectives.

Yeah, idk about that Rath skill. The basic 7x skills setup will definitely improve the gameplay in Karel and Lyn's tales, I'm hopeful that the conversion will be a unilateral improvement without much modification (I'd rather build my own distinct layer on top of what already exists, rather than reinventing the wheel that Yeti and Myke have worked so hard to fine-tune).

The 7x rankings feature is one thing that I'd always dreamed of adding to Elibean Nights. It always felt like it would be a natural extension of the gameplay experience, given the non-linear structure of EN.

I am nothing but hyped at the idea of EN with 7x mechanics. They work well in the linear progression of the more recent patches, but 7x mechanics were also fun and balanced in their trial maps, so I imagine they'll translate well. And they could add in some tale specific challenges.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll throw in my hat for the skill suggestions:

Eliwood - Highborn - When facing enemies that can counterattack, +2 dmg dealt and -2 dmg taken.
Merlinus - Mercantile - [command] can repair one weapon of an ally who has completed their action.

Lyn - Swiftness - When cannot retaliate, Enemy's hit -10

Kent - Stalwart - When no allies within 2 spaces, Def/Res + 5
Louise - Scope - Adjacent allies with ranged weapons get +1 to range.
Raven - Avenger - When HP< 75%, DMG+5
Priscilla - Serenity - When using staves, adjacent allies are given 1/2 of the HP restored.

Edited by Aviv

Eliwood - Nobility Line - When Eliwood is next to an ally unit +3 dmg to both unit.
Merlinus - Cheapskate - When near an allied unit, their weapon use no longer decrease.
Lyn - Pride - When enemy unit HP < Lyn +5 dmg
Kent - Dutiful Knight - When near allied unit, -3 damage to allied unit.
Louise - Deadeye - Adds %Skl to negate enemy attack regardless of turn.
Raven - Vengeful - +3 damage and -3 damage when battling at <50% HP
Priscilla - Trust - Adds %Lck to recover 50% damage when near an allied unit

Maybe?

I'm not entirely sure about Priscilla.

Edited by Fateborn

So Raven- Guts?

Rath- Vantage, with Anticipation, would be pretty sweet, with low Hp enemies (if the enemies are suicidal or don't note vantage) or killer weapons. Or +2 move on straifing after killing an enemy (or when not when not killing one?). Or just Tristan's dash, I guess. 7x lords have cool skills, okay.

Karel- bloodlust- +1 strength, skill, or spd (selected randomly) for 1 turn for enemy is killed. Could be an incentive to do chapters quickly. Would be fun with building Astra.

Karel- refreshed after killing an enemy. Might be not broken if done randomly.

Edited by deranger

I'll put this for skill suggestion~!

Eliwood - King's Rally - Def & Res +3 to self when there are no nearby allies.

Merlinus - Free Compensation - Repairs or gives an item to an ally only once in a chapter.

Lyn - Wildflower's Might - When enemy HP > Lyn, Hit +10 and adds (Luck/2 + Skl/4) to dmg.

Kent - Chivalry - All units within 3-tile radius gain Def +3 and Luck +2.

Louise - Trigger Happy - dmg +5, Critical +10 when attacks without moving.

Raven - Hasten Finale - When enemy HP ≤ Raven, Critical +10, Hit +5

Priscilla - Angelic Damsel - +2 on a randomly chosen stat after healing, will vanish after 1 skirmish. Cannot stack.

Not the best in creating personal skills but I might give it ago.

Rebecca: Little Admirer- Strength and Skill +3 when adjacent ally is a noble.
Heath:Morality Check: Strength -2, Res+6 if the opponent is female.
Dart: Amnesia- 20% chance of removing a status effect in the next turn.
Farina: Brags to Riches- Crit rate +20 if the enemy is holding a gem.

Fiora: Atychiphobic- Hit and Avoid +50 in HP <5%.

Lowen: Balanced Diet: Str,Spd and Def +4 for one turn after staying in a fort.

Guy: Rising Champ- Crit +10 if the opponent's skill is even or -1 & +1 than user.
Rath: Survival Instinct: Ignores enemy's avoid boost when in forest.
Bartre: Mountaineer : Same as Rath but when enemy is on a Mountain or Peak.

Edited by Kevlar

• 4 weeks later...

Florina could get

Sisterhood: +2 damage and -2 damage taken if an adjacent ally is female

because she's scared of men and gay for Lyndis

• 3 weeks later...

This has probably been addressed already: I recently found 3 of the characters from FE4 which I suspected gives you "The Three Amigops" achievement, however it never appeared. Is this a bug or do you get this achievement witha different method?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...