I like ravens :)

Agility

Vika can be good but it takes a lot of love, Paragon, turns, strike level spam, and an Energy Drop or two. Too much effort for most people.

Nealuchi is better.

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen

Unless you like tinking things.

Which is why I boss abuse her in 1-7 so she can get an SS strike (as well as a few level ups), before Part 4.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Why anyone would use a non-royal Laguz is beyond me. You have access to royal laguz for the entire chapter 4, and they're all automatically like 3x better than any non-royal laguz you come across, much higher stats and formshift. Besides torturing yourself draining experience that would otherwise benefit beorc members because you're some kind of RPG masochist, anyone want to list just a single reason why non-royal laguz is worth the time? The only reason I can think of is because you like their character story-wise, because yes Vika is much more likeable than say Nealuchi or Naesala.

This is why RD is extremely unbalanced. Most of the characters you come across are outright worthless because they give you overpowered units at the end. What's the point of training any of the "unimportant" characters? Unlike in most of the GBA titles, extremely underleveled units usually turn out the best (Ross/Yuan/Amelia) because they'll cap more stats in the end than characters that have a high level but didn't get good growths. In RD underleveled units will end up pretty much the same as high leveled units, so there's absolutely no reason why you would waste the time and precious experience (except if you boss abuse) training a low leveled character like Fiona just to end up exactly the same as Titania.

Why anyone would use a non-royal Laguz is beyond me. You have access to royal laguz for the entire chapter 4, and they're all automatically like 3x better than any non-royal laguz you come across, much higher stats and formshift. Besides torturing yourself draining experience that would otherwise benefit beorc members because you're some kind of RPG masochist, anyone want to list just a single reason why non-royal laguz is worth the time? The only reason I can think of is because you like their character story-wise, because yes Vika is much more likeable than say Nealuchi or Naesala.

This is why RD is extremely unbalanced. Most of the characters you come across are outright worthless because they give you overpowered units at the end. What's the point of training any of the "unimportant" characters? Unlike in most of the GBA titles, extremely underleveled units usually turn out the best (Ross/Yuan/Amelia) because they'll cap more stats in the end than characters that have a high level but didn't get good growths. In RD underleveled units will end up pretty much the same as high leveled units, so there's absolutely no reason why you would waste the time and precious experience (except if you boss abuse) training a low leveled character like Fiona just to end up exactly the same as Titania.

You have never used Volug, or Nealuchi, or Mordecai, or Ulki, or Janaff?

To explain why they are worth the time:

Volug: One exception, can't explain cause haven't used him myself. Although I understand that on slow play (The rest are more for efficient play), Resolve, A support with eart affinity & beast foe works wonders in 3-6 and 3-13.

Nealuchi: Reaches S strike in his starting chapter, effectively adding 5x2 damage to each attack he does in the upcoming chapters. Levels also goes up in 2-p by a minimum of 2, 2 levels could be 2 more STR, which would be 4 damage transformed, 4 x2 actually because he doubles everything anyway.

Mordecai: Resolve. It's pretty much it, has great STR & DEF, resolve adds up his speed.

Janaff + Ulki: Wildheart, adept, tear. They need a level or two of BEXP, satori sign and those skills, and the ORKO chance is 50% + iirc. someone did the maths.

I hope you'll give them a try at some point, because they are definitely infinitely more valuable than the part 4 royals. Since they do not only have part 4, but also a lot more of the game to shine. =]

Unlike in most of the GBA titles, extremely underleveled units usually turn out the best (Ross/Ewan/Amelia) because they'll cap more stats in the end than characters that have a high level but didn't get good growths.

I would just like to point out that there's a difference between "turning out good" and "being good". "Turning out good" implies that something is needed to make them "good". Usually, the something in question is training. Which, for instance, is often held against units like two of the three you listed because of how much training would be required, and what has to be done to be able to train them. In some cases, such as Caeda or Sain, not much training is needed though. Caps? Not many units will ever reach them in the first place at least until endgame. Growths? They don't really the whole story about a unit. Edited by Little Al

I hate to sound condescending or arrogant, but you have a lot to learn. Besides, I beg to differ on RD being unbalanced because these overpowered characters aren't available for very long (unless you'd like to imply that part 4 is the whole game, in which case you're a fool). Also, as to Vika being more likable then the other two ravens, that's opinion. Caps, growths, and endgame stats aren't everything.

Edited by Golden Cucco

Imo, every character is worth training if you know how to make them shine. This somehow depends on your style of playing.

Anyways, Vika and every other Laguz needs to raise their Strike ranks, so have her attack enemies (and boss abuse as NinjaMonkey suggests). Break doors to free prisoners in 1-7 to get more BEXP, and save the 1-8 prisoners as well, she is good at killing the dracoknight. As her Str is low, BEXP her up to Lv. 15 and assign her Adept, her Sp is good so she won't have problem. Take advantage of her growths so she can cap Mag, Skl and Sp by 4-4. She can also chip 4-4 generals and raise her Strike rank. Sign her and watch her Adept!Tearing everything.

This threads are to provide solutions and ideas/strategies for those who want to use a character, not just to say "they suck, there are far better units, don't waste your time and EXP".

Hey look, it's all personal opinion. I've finished RD 3 times now, and I've never found the non-royal Laguz useful on the battlefield, because I just prefer to train the Beorc units. It does not mean I don't like their character/story. Having no unique character model or weapons makes it very boring, and I just hate how they revert back to human form in a few turns (maybe even 1-2 turns if swarmed by enemies) and gotta chew on more weed to revert back. Training Volug? Yeah gaining like 2 exp per kill is really efficient huh... not to talk about stealing tons of exp from the Dawn Brigade members who pretty much have to live on exp to survive... by the time you get him back in late chapter 3 most of the DB members are already stronger than him, so I don't see any point in training him?

It's possible to train any number of these non-royal Laguz, it's a video game, people can do whatever they want. I'm just saying it's more efficient (exp-wise) to not train them, but it's recommended to train them if you want the "full game experience" to use every available character in multiple playthroughs. If you train them, it's pretty much guaranteed that you won't be able to train a number of Beorc characters, unless you boss abuse to no end, in that case I've got nothing to say to that. RD has no endless mode, if it has endless mode, then hell yes, train every character! Like I already said stat-wise Naesala is much better than Vika, but I love Vika much more than Naesala character-wise.

Edited by Airen

Not many non-Royal Laguz even need training in the first place. Volug and Mordecai are great examples of this. In fact, using them helps get you BEXP, which is a luxury you'll be really glad to get in the long run.

Hey look, it's all personal opinion. I've finished RD 3 times now, and I've never found the non-royal Laguz useful on the battlefield, because I just prefer to train the Beorc units. It does not mean I don't like their character/story. Having no unique character model or weapons makes it very boring, and I just hate how they revert back to human form in a few turns (maybe even 1-2 turns if swarmed by enemies) and gotta chew on more weed to revert back. Training Volug? Yeah gaining like 2 exp per kill is really efficient huh... not to talk about stealing tons of exp from the Dawn Brigade members who pretty much have to live on exp to survive... by the time you get him back in late chapter 3 most of the DB members are already stronger than him, so I don't see any point in training him?

It's possible to train any number of these non-royal Laguz, it's a video game, people can do whatever they want. I'm just saying it's more efficient (exp-wise) to not train them, but it's recommended to train them if you want the "full game experience" to use every available character in multiple playthroughs. If you train them, it's pretty much guaranteed that you won't be able to train a number of Beorc characters, unless you boss abuse to no end, in that case I've got nothing to say to that. RD has no endless mode, if it has endless mode, then hell yes, train every character! Like I already said stat-wise Naesala is much better than Vika, but I love Vika much more than Naesala character-wise.

Nobody cares how much exp Volug and the other laguz take because many beorc suck or are just plain mediocre. Winners like Volug and the Hawks don't need training to be good and can still rape the game with no exp in them whatsoever.

Also if you're having problems with laguz gauge, you're Doing It Wrong (protip: Use Olivi Grass).

You have never used Volug, or Nealuchi, or Mordecai, or Ulki, or Janaff?

To explain why they are worth the time:

Volug: One exception, can't explain cause haven't used him myself. Although I understand that on slow play (The rest are more for efficient play), Resolve, A support with eart affinity & beast foe works wonders in 3-6 and 3-13.

Nealuchi: Reaches S strike in his starting chapter, effectively adding 5x2 damage to each attack he does in the upcoming chapters. Levels also goes up in 2-p by a minimum of 2, 2 levels could be 2 more STR, which would be 4 damage transformed, 4 x2 actually because he doubles everything anyway.

Mordecai: Resolve. It's pretty much it, has great STR & DEF, resolve adds up his speed.

Janaff + Ulki: Wildheart, adept, tear. They need a level or two of BEXP, satori sign and those skills, and the ORKO chance is 50% + iirc. someone did the maths.

I hope you'll give them a try at some point, because they are definitely infinitely more valuable than the part 4 royals. Since they do not only have part 4, but also a lot more of the game to shine. =]

Volug can get to SS Strike by like, the end of p3.

he gets S strike, by like.

1-8, I think. And he's also got the option to chug DB statboosters

I would just like to point out that there's a difference between "turning out good" and "being good". "Turning out good" implies that something is needed to make them "good". Usually, the something in question is training. Which, for instance, is often held against units like two of the three you listed because of how much training would be required, and what has to be done to be able to train them. In some cases, such as Caeda or Sain, not much training is needed though. Caps? Not many units will ever reach them in the first place at least until endgame. Growths? They don't really the whole story about a unit.

Turning out oog only applies if you start out raping.

Like Seth.

PEMN.

Everyone who just responded to you have done RD, like 10+ times.

She can be fun to use since she activates tear almost every attack, but you have to keep in mind that she'll take alot of bonus exp and maybe even an energy drop that could've gone towards better units. If you're playing efficiently she's not worth the hassle, but if you just want to try her out there's no harm in using her.

Volug can get to SS Strike by like, the end of p3.

he gets S strike, by like.

1-8, I think. And he's also got the option to chug DB statboosters

Turning out oog only applies if you start out raping.

Like Seth.

PEMN.

Everyone who just responded to you have done RD, like 10+ times.

He's not using his personal experience, he's just talking about exp distribution. You really don't know how to play this game at all.

Edited by Aeine

He's not using his personal experience, he's just talking about exp distribution. You really don't know how to play this game at all.

That wasn't the point.

And besides, we have enough to raise 2 DBs+Miccy and Sothe. VOlug doesn't get wtf growths and fast lvl'ing. He gets Strike Rank up to rape harder, along with those awesome bases.

Overall, Laguz kinda suck. They got a huge improvement from the last game but they still have their stupid gauge to worry about. The best Beorc are just better than the best non-royal Laguz.

If you are going to train some Laguz and turncount is not an issue, let them get combat while they are in human form if you can. Their exp gains are much higher when in human form.

I was wondering if vika is a good character to raise?

No. It's too much effort for too little payoff, because she disappears for half the game and when she rejoins there are much better alternatives: even among Ravens (specifically Naesala and Nealuchi). She's definitely usable, but she's not a good choice when there are so many better alternatives.