Game Difficulty

Which game did you guys find most difficult in the GBA era?

Personally, i have difficulty with Sword of Seals, i feel like the Japanese dumbed the game down when they learned it was going to America. I mean FE 7 was fairly challenging but i found myself breezing through Sacred Stones easily

GBA order?

FE6 is by far the most difficult. Low growths, a lot of characters with low-ish bases, and enemies have pretty good stats. Plus, there are some levels that are just evil. (Chapters 7, 13, 14, Sacae...)

FE7 is in the middle. For new players, Eliwood Mode and Hector Mode runs are difficult, but experienced players should have no issues. Hard modes are much higher, though.

FE8 is one of the easiest games in the series, you need to do drafts or strict restrictions to make this difficult.

• 5 months later...

I think that a lot of people agree that, among the GBA games, Sword of Seals is the hardest, Sacred Stones is the easiest, and Blazing Sword's somewhere in between.

I'd question this. In terms of vanilla Hard Modes difficulties, 6 > 7 > 8 is spot-on, but we also have to consider rankings. FE6's are far too flexible. 7R > 6R > 6 > 7 > 8 would be my ordering.

Sacred Stones is probably among the easiest games I've ever played. For the hardest Fire Emblem game of the era, Sword of Seals wins my vote easily.

That explains why i had no character deaths in Sacred Stones and my first character death in Blazing Sword when i failed to get Raven which i had no idea how to get himFacepalm_emote_gif.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone seems to be in agreement that Sword of Seals is the hardest game. I've only ever played it once, as opposed to several runs through Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones, so it's hard for me to judge. I definitely had the most character deaths and restarts in that game compared to first runs of the others though. Sacred Stones is by far the easiest game in the series with unlimited maps to train your characters to level 20/20 and the ability to retreat from those fights without penalty (aside from having to start over in the tower/ruins) if things are getting ugly.

• 4 weeks later...

Like most people say here, I think 6 is hardest and 8 easiest

People had horrible growths, especially roy, so I had to force him into the Arena

There wasn't an Assassin class in there and some other ones

8, however, introduced a a lot, if not a crapload, of stuff

There wasn't ranking, class choice, and replayable maps; practically making it Arena Abuse outside Arena

I have only a very limited exposure to Sword of Seals (first Normal Mode playthrough, currently on Ch6), but the only challenge I've had so far is fighting off the reinforcements that spawn and move on the same turn. If they spawned at the end of the enemy phase, then it wouldn't be any more difficult than Blazing Sword. Most of the characters' growth rates are a little low, but the better characters either have good bases relative to their opponents and good growths (Alan, Lance) or god-tier bases and enough growths to keep them going (Dieck, Rutger). I've also had the benefit of Roy not being a useless wimp when I understand that's not all that abnormal, so I may be a little lucky, but on the whole I haven't really observed significant difficulty compared to Blazing Sword (except, again, for spawn-and-move reinforcements).

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Definitely have to agree on FE6 being the hardest and FE8 being the easiest. FE6 growth rates for some characters really frustrated me since HM enemies had much higher stats. My Clarine gained 10 levels and none of those level-ups gave me magic (still stuck at 2), so I had to bench her. For some reason Alan and Lance turned out horrible for me, so I was stuck using Noah, which wasn't all bad. I swear, the only characters that had Skill were sword users. Also, I hated how the Steel weapons were so inaccurate and heavy. Despite all this, I enjoyed the game. (Btw Chapter 11A, I still hate you.)