Lenh's Locker

Lenh

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laaate followup: I did mess with the Rhys and Magolor a little more to try to fix the issues, but think they'll just go to the archives. The vulture's beak is about at max for the hackbox. ^^;

And here's a WIP~

dHzh1.png

Yes! Thanks~ Yes*, and yes. ^^

lammergeier_zpsf4fd93e7.png

* I'm not 100% sure if it's still going to Bloodlines, but it was fun to mugitize the old version of the bearded vulture from a while back.

How did I miss this?

This is fantastic.

Laaate followup: I did mess with the Rhys and Magolor a little more to try to fix the issues, but think they'll just go to the archives. The vulture's beak is about at max for the hackbox. ^^;

And here's a WIP~

dHzh1.png

Thirding the small shoulders/big head, but I like the face.

• 4 weeks later...

I like his expression and design so far, but a couple things I noticed: His right eye (left OPV) seems to be looking more towards the screen while his other eye is looking a bit more straight ahead. His mouth is strange, if he's supposed to have a slight frown, I think you should add a bit of shadow to the other side of his mouth and lighten up the dark part. The strand of hair right above his nose is a bit weird IMO, it goes straight down and then takes a turn and is at more of an angle. I really like the rest of his hair though. The different elevations in his collar looks weird too.

Thanks guys~

eD1qn.png

- Maybe fixed the wall-eye? I added a bit more eyelid to rebalance but'll probably keep playing with that. That eye always gives me probs, might be shading too

- There's not much play for the mouth without it feeling like a plain :| face, but yeah, slight pull/wince. Gave it a revision.

Torso quest continues

Looking nice and promising... what exactly is going on with his collar though? Is it a cloth collar? Or is it supposed to be a metal collar to go with the shoulder armor? (Pretty sure I know the answer, but eh)

...basically is the the collar supposed to look a lil dishevelled? If so, cool... if not, uh... :\

Face is cool though, nice design for the character in general. Very classy.

Hmmm, I decided to take a closer look at the eyes, and I think that if you want him looking towards the camera, you should add a couple pixels to the far iris next to the shine. If you want him looking straight, maybe move both iris over a pixel. I was having trouble getting them to look good as well.

I like the changes to the mouth!

I think his head might be a bit small, I compared it to Sain who has pretty similar pose, and his face was a few pixels bigger. I think the far side of his face needs some shading too.

The hair that covers the far side of his face seems a bit odd to me, I feel like it should disappear behind the edge of his face, instead of be on top of it.

That cape looks sweet! Those are always the hardest for me, cloth is hard :< Armor looks cool too

Ah man, the advice for the eyes was helpful, Toa~ Also thanks for reminding me about the missing shading too, forgot about that.

eDg45.pngcliffcrop_zpsd867a7c8.png

Done for now I think. As long as it's not horribly huge or small I'm okay with scale being off for this guy, and the hair over the far side of the face is a bad habit that I indulged (gonna try to stray from that for later things). @ErrantShepherd, yeah it was supposed to be a disheveled collar, not a part of the two shoulder plates. Not too worried about whether those parts read as metal or cloth.

[spoiler=random character blurb/bg]Cliff, a token blue-haired prince with a typical goodguy personality but little experience of the world outside his own (and how prejudiced it can be). He's in the process of making a character-building journey with someone in a similar situation by the time you recruit 'em.

And he totally looks like a Roland/Baldo wearing Finn's color scheme. so original

Ah man, the advice for the eyes was helpful, Toa~ Also thanks for reminding me about the missing shading too, forgot about that.

eDg45.pngcliffcrop_zpsd867a7c8.png

Done for now I think. As long as it's not horribly huge or small I'm okay with scale being off for this guy, and the hair over the far side of the face is a bad habit that I indulged (gonna try to stray from that for later things). @ErrantShepherd, yeah it was supposed to be a disheveled collar, not a part of the two shoulder plates. Not too worried about whether those parts read as metal or cloth.

[spoiler=random character blurb/bg]Cliff, a token blue-haired prince with a typical goodguy personality but little experience of the world outside his own (and how prejudiced it can be). He's in the process of making a character-building journey with someone in a similar situation by the time you recruit 'em.

And he totally looks like a Roland/Baldo wearing Finn's color scheme. so original

he's adorable, cape still kinda bugs me but whateves he's adorable

His neck is that thin in the game, lol. It doesn't make it look less weird, I feel like he could use a shoulder and neck buff, but it's pretty good justification.

His body is pretty hard to make out in the screenshots, and looks pretty funky on analysis. I think the darkest part with the clasp might be meant to be a cape? The rest looks like spandex with weird patterns drawn on.

I like it, at the current rate IS will need to release more trailers so we can sprite more :P

@Fateborn: But the FE8 black was on there. ;w; Decided to just go ahead and cheese some shading.

@Toa: Yeah (and thanks!). I don't know if there's a cape though? In the video he looked to have more of a dreadfighter/noCape getup during battle scenes.

Anyways, probably not going to touch the neck and shoulders. The shadow from his collar doesn't really help his neck look any thicker either, but it's there.

kamuiTrace_flat_zpsa5695f40.png

If anyone wants him, or to do more with this particular mug, feel free to take it~

[spoiler=gif comparison]

eRp1r.gif

Hi, Lenh. I am just here to say that you're a good spriter. I've been looking at so many threads from all folks who sprite, and though most are awesome spriters, I really like what you do, seriously I do. And also, I wish to thank you for the help you've provided in helping me correct some mugs. I see that you tend to let people use your mugs for hacks. If that is the case, do you have any spare splices I could use? If you have any, just pm me or something and let me know what you got. For now, keep up the excellent work.

Pretty good Kamui... it will be interesting to see the official art for him, as currently I don't really know what to make of his outfit design.(In the screenshot, I know you were just following that)

Nice shading of the hair, and body.

• 2 months later...

Another Before and After
set.pngsetv2_zps1ajse5h8.png

[spoiler=with a timelapse!].

I've wanted to do once since Toa showed his off. ;w;

It's probably not too exciting since it's a straightforward trace and I lost the clip that filled in the hair. Just recently started using GraphicsGale too, since Fireworks is unreliable on my current setup. The free edition of GG seems pretty nice for still image editing, I'm just missing a good 'find the stray color'/'reduce the image palette' method. Not sure yet whether I'd try animations on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqHQcLGy9mo&feature=youtu.be

And filler/scraps from earlier (since I haven't really worked on much lately...)
gSMMo.pnggSMH1.pnggSMJ9.pnglufTank_zpsiniynw1x.png

The timelapse is a really good idea! I love it.

It's a good way to look at how other spriters work and you can learn many things from it.

And it helps you realize Fire Emblem proportions are not so easy to get when you draw your character by hand. Because here your second attempt is nice but the head is really slim and long.

Well if you get out of the Fire Emblem proportions why not. But if in your sketch this guy's got a pretty (slender?) face, in the sprite it doesn't fit the original that well. You should try to play with the nose and eyes/eyebrows to find the good look.

The reason might be that we don't see his right eye in the sprite because of his hair, which reduces the width of his face.

The hair and clothes in the hair's shadow is messy too.

Keep on going! I love what you do!