NFL 2012-2013 Season

Anacybele

NFL-National-Football-League-sports-logo.jpg

I'm surprised there's no thread on this yet. The NFL season has started! Well, the preseason, anyway. Talk about your favorite teams, players, past games and plays, and anything else to do with the NFL here. :D

For those that don't know, the NFL is the National Football League in the US. It's comprised of two groups of teams, the AFC (American Football Conference) and the NFC (National Football Conference), which are both further divided into four divisions each. There are 32 teams in all, so there are four teams in each division. The divisions are the AFC North, AFC South, AFC East, AFC West, NFC North, NFC South, NFC East, and NFC West. My favorite team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, are in the AFC North. :)

I'm from Pittsburgh and I've always loved my home city, so I've always been a diehard Steeler fan and Pittsburgh girl. Troy Polamalu, the Steelers' greatest safety and coolest player ever, is my favorite player. That guy can intercept any pass, I swear. Whether it's high, low, or friggin bounced off of some guy's head. And a lot of his tackles have been game-changing plays, like his sack on Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco the one season. It resulted in a fumble, which a fellow Steeler, LaMaar Woodley, picked up to help the Steelers gain a lead later and win the game. One of Troy's interceptions is my favorite play though. That sick one-handed high ball against the Titans one year. Troy jumps up and catches the thing with one hand and even pushes the intended receiver backwards! My mouth dropped wide open.

So, did anyone see the end of the Steelers vs Colts preseason game tonight? That was just wicked! The Steelers already wormed their way ahead with field goals, and on this last play, the Colts' QB hands off the ball, then I see it go in the air. I'm like, "wait, what's going on here?" Then I realize they're playing Hot Potato with the ball and pass it to this guy, then this guy, then this guy, and it goes on like that until finally the Steelers bring 'em down to win the game. I commend the Colts and their new rookie QB and second string QB for their persistence. They fought well. Andrew Luck just might become the next Peyton Manning.

That Jarrod Johnson should be our second string QB in the Steelers though. Screw Batch, Johnson made some awesome plays today. He kinda sucked last game, but he's by far made up for it by bringing us to victory even when the Colts fought so hard.

The one problem I had with this game, though, is that they gave that one touchdown to Luck. Luck, well, lucked out there. Neither he nor the ball were over the line when he tried to slide in. He slid a bit too early. The announcers even noticed it! That was a terrible call there. But the Steelers still won, so I'm glad, even if it's just preseason. It's showing that our second string and third strings are stepping up from the last game.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chargers are cool. :)

My stepdad keeps telling me to dislike them though, cause they're apparently a Steeler rival. But I don't really see it, so I'll believe it when I'm shown some evidence of such a rivalry. xP To me, the only true Steeler rivals are the Ravens, Raiders, Browns, and possibly Bengals, since they're also in the AFC North along with the Steelers, Browns, and Ravens. The Ravens are our biggest rival though, imo. Two generally evenly matched teams in the AFC North that pretty much beat each other just as often as they lose to each other. Last season was the first time in like decades that the Ravens managed to sweep the Steelers through the whole season.

The Steelers already have some injured guys too (Harrison, Mendenall, etc. And those guys are great too...), and on top of that, Mike Wallace refuses to play unless he gets paid more. As far as I'm concerned, just give the guy his money! He's lightning fast (like the fastest player in the whole NFL!) and can catch any pass, long, short, you name it. He's my second favorite player after Polamalu. The Steelers need a guy like him on their side.

Oh, and not to mention Ryan Clark may not be coming back at all because they discovered he has Sickle Cell Anemia. Poor guy...

Edited by Anacybele

Go bears! *cricket noise*

Okay. Not that many bears fans over where I live. :(

Anyway, they one that one game against the skins, so happy there. Got a fantasy league starting up too. And no, you cannot join. >:U

Yo if any of you play fantasy football and haven't seen the thread yet, some guys and I are trying to start up an SF Fantasy Football league and could use some more players.

Also Go Lions!

I don't care much myself, but I do want the Eagles to win the Super Bowl this year, since they're my favorites. I also keep an eye on the Jaguars and the Colts.

Edited by Emerald Knight

Every time I think of the Bills, I'm reminded of when they intercepted that Hail Mary in the one game against the Patriots. lol

Yeah, sometimes my stepdad and I watch games the Steelers don't play in. :P

Aside from the Steelers though, I also like the Dolphins (cause Miami is awesome and so are dolphins), Panthers (North Carolina is awesome!), Falcons (Atlanta is so cool!), and Broncos (yay for another cool mascot, cool uniforms, and now Peyton Manning). The Broncos are the Steelers' first opponent in the main season though. xP

Edited by Anacybele

@Anacybele: How about that Tebow game winning pass to take you out of the playoffs last year

NFC North is still rivaling the AFC North as the toughest division in football. Bears made some great offseason moves to keep Forte and add Brandon Marshall, and with a healthy Cutler only their OLine and secondary will screw them over now. Packers are still the Packers, and Mr. Discount Doublecheck (MVP Aaron Rodgers) and the gang are still a dynamic offensive force and their defense is still solid too with guys like Charles Woodson and Clay Matthews. Still have faith that Lions, with a healthy Stafford, Megatron and the WRs, an improved running game and hopefully improved front 7 (who IMO didn't play to their potential last year) will be able to stay right with them. Questions about our secondary obviously, but one of the rookie CBs has looked really good in preseason so hopefully he'll be able to step it up and grab that number 2 CB role.

Dolphins let go of my man Chad Johnson which sucks, and I'm not entirely sure about Tannehil. Don't think they'll be able to match up against the rest of the AFC East with the Jets and Pats.

I'm a huge Tebow fan and really hope he succeeds with the Jets. Always found Rex Ryan as a funny guy and they have a squad on defense. Their offense though....meh. Let's see if they put it all together this year.

Always liked the Ravens a little too since a friend of mine is a diehard fan of them and he says I look/my quarterback play (yeah I can throw the ball a little :P) reminds him of Joe Flacco. Not sure why he thinks that...

My second favorite team is the Eagles, though they made me mad last year not playing to their expectations. Shady McCoy is a beast (and got me soooo many fantasy points last year) and they just have a really quick and exciting offense to watch. They also got a couple great CBs, a hell of a DLine, and an amazing coach who everyone seems to play well under. Expecting them to win at least the wild card or even beat out the defending champs

@Anacybele: How about that Tebow game winning pass to take you out of the playoffs last year

The Steelers couldn't be 100% in that game. They had a bunch of injured players at the time. I think Ben still had a banged up ankle too, which limited his mobility.

I don't care much myself, but I do want the Eagles to win the Super Bowl this year, since they're my favorites. I also keep an eye on the Jaguars and the Colts.

Fat chance! This year belongs to the Rams! >:D

But in all honesty, this is probably gonna be a 49ers year. They had it last year, but NY got lucky (twice! They shouldn't have beaten the Pats either, though I'm happy they did).

Edited by Phoenix Wright

You forget the very important fact that Alex Smith is still their quarterback.

In his defense though, Alex Smith played decent last year and had his best year. He might now wow you with long throws and big numbers, but he's efficient. He barely threw any interceptions last year and that lack of offensive turnovers really helped the team get to where they were last year. Seeing as they only improved this year with guys like Moss and Manningham, and another year under Harbaugh, and this team is definitely the favorite IMO.

Speaking of quarterbacks, does anyone find it incredibly ironic that despite Ben Roethlisberger being pretty much the toughest QB in the NFL (officials have even said this. He goes out there and plays even with busted noses, thumbs, and ankles...and all at once too), he's been sacked more times than any other QB, and by far?

I mean, I've seen many teams struggle to tackle him. It takes like three guys just to bring him down. Not to mention Ben is great at breaking tackles and buying time as well. His record is nearly as good as that of the famous Terry Bradshaw, who led the Steelers to four Super Bowl wins back in the 70s.

I believe all those sacks happened partly because the Steelers' offensive linemen have been the weak link, though.

Edited by Anacybele

The Ravens are our biggest rival though, imo.
You and the entirety of Pittsburgh.

Person wears Pittsburgh gear in Baltimore. They get weird looks. Person wears Ravens gear in Pittsburgh. They get mugged.

(Ravens fan here, I was born near Baltimore so I grew up on them)

Person wears Ravens gear in Pittsburgh. They get mugged.

...Uh, says who? And even if that did happen, it's not the fault of the team or many of the fans.

Edited by Anacybele

Speaking of quarterbacks, does anyone find it incredibly ironic that despite Ben Roethlisberger being pretty much the toughest QB in the NFL (officials have even said this. He goes out there and plays even with busted noses, thumbs, and ankles...and all at once too), he's been sacked more times than any other QB, and by far?

I mean, I've seen many teams struggle to tackle him. It takes like three guys just to bring him down. Not to mention Ben is great at breaking tackles and buying time as well. His record is nearly as good as that of the famous Terry Bradshaw, who led the Steelers to four Super Bowl wins back in the 70s.

I believe all those sacks happened partly because the Steelers' offensive linemen have been the weak link, though.

It's DEFINITELY because of that Oline that Big Ben's been sacked that many times. The Oline is partially to blame for some of his interceptions and incompletions as well, since he's trying to make a play before the WRs get into position. He's probably gonna end up being the best Steelers QB of all time since this team doesn't focus as much on running the ball due to the evolution of the game.

I wonder if Big Ben would get injured as badly as Stafford if he had to take some of the hits he does though

...Uh, says who? And even if that did happen, it's not the fault of the team or many of the fans.

Says everyone I know that lives in Pittsburgh + Baltimore people that go. It's a pretty massive rivalry, the fact that you're saying "IMO" really lessens the impact.

In his defense though, Alex Smith played decent last year and had his best year. He might now wow you with long throws and big numbers, but he's efficient. He barely threw any interceptions last year and that lack of offensive turnovers really helped the team get to where they were last year. Seeing as they only improved this year with guys like Moss and Manningham, and another year under Harbaugh, and this team is definitely the favorite IMO.

Moss is kind of a big question mark, because of age and time away from the game and with him motivation is a big issue. Manningham is a mixed bag, he can easily blow the top off a coverage, but he can't run routes well at all and made a habit of dropping easy touchdowns with the Giants. I also think Smith will have more turnovers this year because the 49ers are going to throw it more with their shiny new receiving core and regression is more likely with his skill set than maintaining his rate from last year. That being said their defense will be monstrous and should easily carry them to a division title and a top 3 seed and then anything is possible in the playoffs.

I think Big Ben getting the shit sacked out of him contributes to his tough persona.

Isn't the Ravens/Steelers rivalry like one of the biggest rivalries in all of the NFL? Probably the second biggest after Green Bay/Chicago

It's probably the biggest right now, but it lacks the history of GB/Chicago.

Edited by Model Emu

Well, a bunch of guys on the offensive line have been replaced and they're getting better. Still, that Adams guy sucks butt. The announcers even pointed it out. He needs to go.

And yeah, the rivalry between the Steelers and Ravens is pretty big. But I know the Raiders hate us as well, because of the Immaculate Reception, lolol. Y'all should've seen how many fights broke out in the last Steelers vs Raiders game I watched.

Edited by Anacybele

• 3 weeks later...