Ana's Updated Sprites

Anacybele

You're still just stalling for time by patting yourself on the back in the guise of defending your actions.

I don't even have any idea what you just said.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, fine, alright. But do you have to be so hostile about it? It's not going to do you, or me, any favors.

On another note, I took a peek at the Spriter's Resource here despite that it's pretty much dead. I saw a post suggesting not to add an outline until last. Block shade first. I should try this, it would probably help me learn to shade better.

Edited by Anacybele

Whoa, fine, alright. But do you have to be so hostile about it? It's not going to do you, or me, any favors.

She doesn't respond well to people who find any and all reasons to ignore criticism. If someone takes enough time off to give you tips and help, take it, take their advice, take their edits, and use them. Don't just criticize them and move on to another one, then repeat the entire process

In fact, this is just another example of pointing fingers. Don't worry about why someone else is being brusque to you. That's the internet. Worry about how you can get better at spriting

Edited by Mercenary Lord

Sorry for taking so long, Ana >_<

6VxUVLU.png

Here's a quick list of what I changed up
-Took out the stray colors that missed getting recolored
-Changed the colors of the armour/trim to hopefully better match?
-Changed the middle hair tone to blend better
-Changed the shading on the collar to give it more shape
-Reduced the shading on the neck and fixed the jaggedness of his jawline
-Worked on the trim and armour, although the shading on the pauldrons and the trim on our right side aren't shaped as well as I would like. >_<
One of the big things to consider is that you don't have to shade too heavily around the trim, because then it starts looking really tacky. It's also a fair bit difficult to make nice, not flat trim with only three shades, as I discovered. DX

Only played enough to get the gist of it.

a4zOB.png

If that's not shiny enough, you can add the lightest skintone into the armor.

-Darkest black on the trim was darker than the outline color, lightened it. Also darkened the other trim colors to get a black overall rather than a grey, at the cost of contrast.

- (Kon you might've pointed this out already) A lot of the armor went darkTrim<->darkArmor. Imo it looks a little better and more crisp when you do lightTrim<->armorInShadow and darkTrim<->armorInLight, depending on where you're at.

even with the shading fixes from lenh the perspective and comp of the body is bonked. try looking in a mirror with your self at the same angle you want, or looking at pictures online of people in the pose you want, it should help.

then again i don't even know why im bothering.

Well, if you look at the original Caellach mug you see the shoulder positions are different and the vanilla compensates for the head angle a bit better and gives more room for the neck. Either the armor or the head would have to be entirely redone on Ana's sprite. Imo, there's no flexibility on fusing that head angle to the armor perspective.

The armor's design is pretty cool and I just wanted to play with it. ^^

Well, at least I can DRAW armor well. ^^

Also, my apologies, but while you all were posting in here some more, I was using Kon's sprite as a reference to clean Royce up.

Roycemug_zps1d4330af.png

See, I took someone's critique and put it to use!

Oh, next on my list is another antagonist, but one not quite as important to the plot as Isis, Royce, Bernard, or Shigo. He'll also be the last bad guy I do for awhile.

Only played enough to get the gist of it.

a4zOB.png

If that's not shiny enough, you can add the lightest skintone into the armor.

-Darkest black on the trim was darker than the outline color, lightened it. Also darkened the other trim colors to get a black overall rather than a grey, at the cost of contrast.

- (Kon you might've pointed this out already) A lot of the armor went darkTrim<->darkArmor. Imo it looks a little better and+ more crisp when you do lightTrim<->armorInShadow and darkTrim<->armorInLight, depending on where you're at.

Thank you Lenh~ I was having a bit of a hard time figuring out how to go about shading the pauldrons since I've never worked with Halberdier pauldrons before DX

It's too bad Caellech's head doesn't fit so well on the armour, because otherwise it's a pretty cool concept. :<

And Ana, I would honestly use Lenh's armour shading as a reference, she did a much better job of defining the shape of it than what I did DX

Let me put it in laymen's terms for you, then: stop blabbing about what you know or can do, and actually fucking do it.

You have a knack of being a right twat when you try to make a point.

Just something I've picked up over the years, seems to be a common trait amongst the high rollers on these boards, if I may so aptly interject.

If Ana doesn't want to take in criticism, fine, just let her have her fun spriting, because this is a hobby, it's to pass time. We don't all attribute this absurdly serious view on it as you do.

Just something I've picked up over the years, seems to be a common trait amongst the high rollers on these boards, if I may so aptly interject.

If Ana doesn't want to take in criticism, fine, just let her have her fun spriting, because this is a hobby, it's to pass time. We don't all attribute this absurdly serious view on it as you do.

She should have the common decency to at least acknowledge that someone else went out of their way to assist her. Not jabbing her, just in reply to you, btw. And if she doesn't, that's fine, she should just expect people to take it as very insulting and know the repercussions of being a dick.

Once again, not saying you are, Ana, just my opinion in general to people trying to help someone else.

Also, I'm not great at this, but Lenh's shading of the pauldrons look more correct, since they don't look like they'd be very round.

Also, I'm not great at this, but Lenh's shading of the pauldrons look more correct, since they don't look like they'd be very round.

'Mm, Hector would be a good reference in both his FE7 and FE6 iterations as I do believe his pauldrons share a similar shape.

Also, I agree with Kon in that Caellach's head angle doesn't flow with the body, what I would do is lower the right eye, our PoV, lower the ear and then replace the entire jaw to a more fitting one for the angle. Doing this would also somewhat make it distinct from Caellach and make it look more unique. Subtle, but it works.

And Ana, I would honestly use Lenh's armour shading as a reference, she did a much better job of defining the shape of it than what I did DX

Well, I was already using yours before Lenh showed up with another version. xP And truth be told, I like yours better... But I guess there's more than one correct way to shade armor?

Sovereign: Don't worry, I knew you weren't trying to take a jab at me or anything, it's fine. :)

Yeah, I was trying to draw the armor at the same angle as Caellach's shoulders, but I guess it just didn't come out right for some reason. I really have no idea what to do about it now, as I wanted Royce to be positioned in this angle too. >_<

Edited by Anacybele

he's got a very long neck, and the pauldrons should be higher... rn he looks like a giraffe °°

TBH, you sound like one too.

Edited by D'Artagnih

Um, can we not bicker about who's being a twat and who isn't? xP I want things to stay civilized in here...

And you're the first person to say anything about Royce's neck length. lol But I think instead of raising the pauldrons, it'd be easier if I lowered the head. Should produce the same result, methinks.

Also, I'm going to fix up some of my oldest mugs even though I've been using them in a comic series. I'll just gradually update the comics I've already made. Besides, this series isn't going to be ending for a looooong time, so yeah. Might as well leave the majority of it with good sprites!

Edited by Anacybele

he's got a very long neck, and the pauldrons should be higher... rn he looks like a giraffe °°

TBH, you sound like one too.

I'm an admitted cunt, though it doesn't stem from an over-inflated ego, like certain others, but more from being a candid human being.

Um, can we not bicker about who's being a twat and who isn't? xP I want things to stay civilized in here...

And you're the first person to say anything about Royce's neck length. lol But I think instead of raising the pauldrons, it'd be easier if I lowered the head. Should produce the same result, methinks.

those pauldrons are indeed really low, so you should make them higher anyway, it's like his shoulders are melting XD

Nickt, I really wouldn't say AK is all about ego. She's the most humble person ik rotfl.

Edited by D'Artagnih

those pauldrons are indeed really low, so you should make them higher anyway, it's like his shoulders are melting XD

Oh, that's what you meant. Alright then. :P

Gotta love how the topic went from "Ana's sprites" to "Ana's Sprites, and +1 offtopic aggressive comment per post by everyone in the topic".

Just lol.

I know, right? Total lolz. XD

Gotta love how the topic went from "Ana's sprites" to "Ana's Sprites, and +1 offtopic aggressive comment per post by everyone in the topic".

Just lol.

Came for the sprites, stayed for the forum drama?

Well, getting back ON TOPIC. :P

Roycemug_zpsd9ba88c9.png

Lowered the head by one pixel and raised the pauldrons by one pixel. I also applied some of Lenh's shading techniques, so now I have a combination of his and Kon's. And I rather like the result.

I think part of the issue with the 'low shoulders'or the long neck is that the head angle is really off the body and given the hackbox you're kind of restricted from the easy fix of raising the near shoulder to compensate, maybe if you fiddled with the gorget(armor collar) and had it looser it would help slightly, but it's just looking really tight on the body and I kinda feel like he wouldnt be able to move?

Actually, I'm not paying attention to hackboxes lol. I don't plan to make any game hacks with these mugs, mainly because it wouldn't be possible, so yeah. Why limit myself to restrictions if I'm not going to even be using them in the first place? :P

Ok perfect, easy fix would be to lift the near shoulder to match the head angle and adjust the chest accordingly, you might still want to loosen the collar but if the shoudler's fixed it might look a little more natural?

I think there's still a lot that needs refining in the armor shading so rather than bombard you with nitpicking can I suggest you try and clean the lines up, I know when I work through things if they have a jittery or kinda rough edge, sometimes just going and making the curves smoothly progess across the curve sometimes helps? Sharpening up corners can help too especially if you want a crisp solid look on cloth or armor.

Edited by Vampire Elf