Ana's Updated Sprites

Anacybele

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok perfect, easy fix would be to life the near shoulder to match the head angle and adjust the chest accordingly, you might still want to loosen the collar but if the shoudler's fixed it might look a little more natural?

I think there's still a lot that needs refining in the armor shading so rather than bombard you with nitpicking can I suggest you try and clean the lines up, I know when I work through things if they have a jittery or kinda rough edge, sometimes just going and making the curves smoothly progess across the curve sometimes helps? Sharpening up corners can help too especially if you want a crisp solid look on cloth or armor.

"to life near the shoulder to match the head angle"? Could you elaborate on what you mean here, exactly? xP

Which lines exactly need cleaning up?

And since fexna has no such limitations, you could still use the mugs in a fexna game in the future if you wanted.

Okay, but the reason that this story can't become a GBA-style game is that it uses many features from RD that aren't present in the GBA games, like ledges, laguz, etc.

vamp where were you! i missed you :_:

the mug itself is really skewed both on the position of the shoulders and from the head and the hair itself looks off to me.

if your trying to get the nonchalont supurior look to him try a diffrent angle of the body, for instance try haveing it look like the hypothetical camera is looking a little bit upwards to him rather then the messy angle you have now.

Okay, but the reason that this story can't become a GBA-style game is that it uses many features from RD that aren't present in the GBA games, like ledges, laguz, etc.

all programmable in fexna. you just need to learn a little programming but moot point.

Edited by ShinyPichu

You're welco...wait...

Lowered the head by one pixel and raised the pauldrons by one pixel. I also applied some of Lenh's shading techniques, so now I have a combination of his and Kon's. And I rather like the result.

his and Kon's.

*withdraws and sheds tear quietly in corner* ;w;

all programmable in fexna. you just need to learn a little programming but moot point.

Oh, this I didn't know. xP

You're welco...wait...

*withdraws and sheds tear quietly in corner* ;w;

Ah, crap, my apologies. I hadn't noticed that your gender says female. >_< I could've sworn it said male before, but I guess I was thinking of someone else.

"to life near the shoulder to match the head angle"? Could you elaborate on what you mean here, exactly? xP

Which lines exactly need cleaning up?

Sorry, lift*** atm the head is angled and doesn't look tilted, it looks like his shoulders arent sitting normally.

The head is kind of diagonal like this / and the shoulders are almost completely horizontal –

Most of the lines have this untidy sort of feel, I guess it's something I picked up overtime, but it's that balance of shading and clean finish, I probably err on the side of undershading with my own stuff(bad habit, so don't pick it up) but I guess if you just try and have your lines always seem purposeful and smooth, not unnecessarily jagged?

The most noticeable part to me is the trim, it's very dithered (dotted shading, kind of akin to crosshatching, but in a sprite) other than that the general outline doesnt seem to contain the armor very neatly, with hair you can get away with a messier lineart, but not so much with something as structured as plate armor.

good thing I said fexna game and not gba game huh

Sorry, lift*** atm the head is angled and doesn't look tilted, it looks like his shoulders arent sitting normally.

The head is kind of diagonal like this / and the shoulders are almost completely horizontal –

Most of the lines have this untidy sort of feel, I guess it's something I picked up overtime, but it's that balance of shading and clean finish, I probably err on the side of undershading with my own stuff(bad habit, so don't pick it up) but I guess if you just try and have your lines always seem purposeful and smooth, not unnecessarily jagged?

The most noticeable part to me is the trim, it's very dithered (dotted shading, kind of akin to crosshatching, but in a sprite) other than that the general outline doesnt seem to contain the armor very neatly, with hair you can get away with a messier lineart, but not so much with something as structured as plate armor.

Oh, so it was a typo. :P

And yeah, I did think the trim looked a bit choppy after I tried applying Kon's shading example, but I then I thought maybe that's what some spriters go for. :P

Oh, so it was a typo. :P

And yeah, I did think the trim looked a bit choppy after I tried applying Kon's shading example, but I then I thought maybe that's what some spriters go for. :P

Yeah, that was my bad, honestly

I was a lot more rusty than what I thought when I went to try to fix up your sprite >_<

kewl armor ana, it seems to me that armor shading is different than cloth shading, I didn't really know about that before.

Light plays differently on metal, cloth, etc.

Yeah, that was my bad, honestly

I was a lot more rusty than what I thought when I went to try to fix up your sprite >_<

Haha, it's fine lol. It still helped me improve my original sprite. :)

Thanks, Pierogi! Yeah, light plays differently on cloth than armor. Armor is metal, so it generally needs more contrast to show how shiny it is. Cloth never needs this except at sharp fold lines.

Alright, I've started working on my old mugs. Starting with these three.

Updatedmugs_zps2edbcb09.png

Ike, Elincia, and Ranulf as they appear in Dawn of Darkness. Compare to the originals here to see exactly how much I've improved since then. I think you'll find that Ike in particular was an abomination. :P Don't they look so much better now?

I think I still need some help with his hair though. It's annoying for some reason. >_< Elincia's hair color is the only one I didn't change, but it could probably look better. Yes, I tried Rebecca's color, but it looked terrible. xP

I also got the urge to work on Ike because I'm so hyped for his SSB4 appearance. lol

Edited by Anacybele

Honestly I see very little change--just some new (albeit better) colors and maybe a few minor changes in shading and a bit more antialiasing. Ike is the best of the three, will admit that, but the other two really don't seem that much changed at all, at least not by any noticeable amount

Here's what I mean

a70JZ.gif

Edited by Mercenary Lord

perhaps faces that resembled the characters more? Ike is still, not that Ike looking. Anf ranulf is still Forde (?) one of those guys from fe8. Shading wise its improved at least

I'm just sad that the once ethnically diverse FE9 characters are now all Snow White People.

Those three were already super caucasian.

If you want ethnicity in Tellius, you need to look at characters like Nailah.

Ranulf was merely tanned.

Skin tones are not ethnicity, Klok.

Edited by Siuloir