Ana's Updated Sprites

Anacybele

too much concentrated tile spam of village stone tiles especially the broken ones. more elevation would do you well and even a bigger map for more dynamic unit movement. try looking up pictures of village squares if that what your looking for and see if you can recreate the feeling they have.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alrighty, edited. Added trees as well as a shop and armory (arenas don't appear in this story). I think this looks much better now indeed! :D

DoDCh4bmap_zps50bf5260.png

Oh, and by the way, I forgot to mention. See that tile in the fountain where the water is falling from the wall? I made it myself, sort of. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Why would a town need two bars? It looks wierd.

Also, why is every house put right after the other? Space out the houses a little bit. If you don't get what I'm talking about, look at Samias' first picture she posted. Notice how there is two houses together, then other houses surround it? Do something like that.

Also, try adding more grass tiles, like the first picture Samias posted.

Edited by PixelmanFE

Ah, you're a little late, I just now finished adding units. xP

dod_chapter_4_map_by_great_aether-d70d5q

But there isn't one bar per town in real life you know, lol. Plus, who says both of these buildings have to be bars? One of them could be an inn or something instead.

As for the grass, I'd agree with you on that if this battle was taking place closer to the edge of town, but since it's in the square downtown, I wouldn't think there would be as much grass visible.

As for my units, as I said, archers this time! And it may look like a really hard battle, but a couple new allies come to the aid of the heroes soon enough. The objective isn't to defeat every single unit either, just to survive for a certain number of turns.

Edited by Anacybele

looks a bit of a challenge but when you have a swordmaster and a laguz that early on there shouldn't be that many problems. and even then it shouldn't be that hard given the amount of enemies already deployed. enemy reinforcements are going to have to swarm the place right away, other wise the player will probably have dealt with most of the other enemy's by the time the enemy reinforcements come. that and player reinforcements make's it easier to handle the given number of enemies. my advice would be to expand the map and give more room to space out player units and enemy units, with smaller stronger strike forces in the front and larger but perhaps weaker hordes waiting in the back, therefore giving the enemy numerical superiority later in the map, yet still stalling the player long enough that they cant overwhelm the enemy. of course that's just my advice game play wise. also it would be wise to have the archers closer to packs of enemy's for future reference, not exactly in player range but just a little bit outside it, there;s also the option of grouping archers in clusters, as they do better when working together. a ballista or two might also liven things up, of course that's up to you.

the problem with survival maps is making it so that the player is actually struggling to survive, but you just need to plan ahead on the maps with where enemy's are and what the player would most likely do. I'm sure you can pull it off

You're right, with Ranulf and Elincia there (the laguz and Swordmaster respectively) as well as Ike (his class is Hero, just like in RD), it shouldn't be that difficult even with reinforcements. But it would still be a challenge, because Azura is weaker than they are and if she's killed, it's game over, as she's the Lord character (the red-headed blue sprite there). Marc and Leona (the axe and lance knights respectively) are also not as strong, so losing them may not be that hard either.

So it's also a matter of defending those three while stomping all over the enemies and reinforcements until Bryan and Skye arrive. Also, this is only chapter 4, it's not supposed to be really hard. Yet. Heh, heh.

Oh, I see. Well, if it does become possible, I'll need plenty of help. And probably a bunch of updated mugshots/sprites too, as I didn't make them with the color limit and such in mind.

Edited by Anacybele

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, a new sprite at last! Well, sort of. :P

This is my first attempt at doing a custom battle frame.

Bryanbattlesprite_zpse442459a.png

I worked off of the sprite on the left, which I made like aaages ago using Ephraim as a base. He's a Halberdier named Bryan, and is a major character in my FE fiction. I could have continued to work off of Ephraim's battle frames, but I chose not to because I already used his mugshot and stationary battle sprite as bases for Bryan, and I don't want to get boring and unorignal. :P So Bryan gets a unique basic attack instead, where he jumps and strikes, much like the Halberdiers in RD, only Bryan thrusts his lance like GBA lancers instead of swinging it. I never got why RD lancers swung their weapons, I always thought lances were more suited to stabbing. xP

For a critical attack, Bryan twirls his lance in an Ephraim-like fashion (but not exactly the same since Bryan only has one free hand due to his shield) a few times, then performs his basic attack animation.

I noticed that other spriters here start by drawing stick figures when they do battle frames, so I did the same here. I think this came out pretty decent for my first try, if I do say so myself. :o

Edited by Anacybele

Not bad for a first go at it, pretty fond of the yellow-green and the teal shades you've chosen, and the gestures are pretty good. Design is pretty neat too. ^^

One thing you should watch out for is maintaining consistency between frames. Here, the breastplate changes a lot between sprites, and so does the grip point on the spear. The banded/bevel style of shading bugs me too but you can probably look at Ephraim, the standard spear-guy, and the hero's shield for shading reference.

Edited by Lenh

Yeah, Bryan's chest plate is always the hardest part whether I'm drawing him or spriting him. >_<

As for the grip point, I did look at Ephraim and the foot soldier for some reference on the lance, and their grip points gradually change too.

Thanks for the critique on the shield though, I'll get to that right away. :)

wow much late, very necro

I have a couple things to say, with no real idea on what to actually do about them. I'm bad at being useful like that.

First, the shield itself...it seems very uninspired, more like a trash can lid than any kind of actual shield. The shading is alright, but I don't really see any particular place that your lighting source is coming from.

Which brings me to my next point, shading. There doesn't seem to be any, except on the shield. I zoomed in on the pants, and they seem pretty pillowed from what I can tell from my limited experience. Maybe if I could see a specified shading point on the sprite I could be more precise, but right now it just seems kind of all over the place. Sometimes I have the same issue.

I'm a little curious how that stance works. Is it driving into them, or is he jumping, landing, and then stabbing? If its the former, it doesn't look like he's going to get a lot of force from that angle. I get the feeling like he's already falling down, and I'm not sure why.

I know you probably don't care about this, but the chestplate seems very flat. There's yellow on it, I guess, but there's really no definition of anything in particular. It kind of just looks like a stain of yellow blood or something.

I wouldn't say it's a bad sprite, I just can't really make out anything particular to really comment on, aside from the things above.

time to go procrastinate

Edited by The Real MercCoy

Well, Halberdier shields have little detail on them. Look at Nephenee's, for example.

The yellow on the chest plate is the gold lining of the armor. As for the shading, you ARE talking about the pants, right? Or do you actually mean the armor on his legs? The more yellowish green is his pants.

I explained the stance already, but yeah, Bryan is more so landing and then stabbing. His feet just aren't touching the ground yet, a la the Fighter attack frame.

I hope this clears a few things up. Thanks, btw,

I went ahead and looked at a bunch of Halberdier models, and all of them had more intricate shields than a flat monochrome plate. Even Nephenee's had a design on it.

For shading, I'm talking about most of the sprite. The greens kind of blend together, and the gold lining on the plate doesn't actually look all the like trim. It's hard to make out details.

Still not much of a design, imo. The Sentinel shield is far more elaborate. And I doubt I would've been able to add details like the ones on Nephenee's shield without making it look like a mess. That's why I left them out to begin with.