Ana's Updated Sprites

Anacybele

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HSV is Hue, Saturation, and Value IIRC

And photoshop will work, but I've never played around with spriting in photoshop, so I'm afraid I can't help you there DX

Oh, those. I know those terms. :P

Yeah, I never have either, actually. I always used Paint for my sprites because I never thought anything more was necessary.

Sorry for taking so long, Ana >_<

6VxUVLU.png

Here's a quick list of what I changed up
-Took out the stray colors that missed getting recolored
-Changed the colors of the armour/trim to hopefully better match?
-Changed the middle hair tone to blend better
-Changed the shading on the collar to give it more shape
-Reduced the shading on the neck and fixed the jaggedness of his jawline
-Worked on the trim and armour, although the shading on the pauldrons and the trim on our right side aren't shaped as well as I would like. >_<
One of the big things to consider is that you don't have to shade too heavily around the trim, because then it starts looking really tacky. It's also a fair bit difficult to make nice, not flat trim with only three shades, as I discovered. DX

One of the big things to consider is that you don't have to shade too heavily around the trim, because then it starts looking really tacky. It's also a fair bit difficult to make nice, not flat trim with only three shades, as I discovered. DX

Trim is super finicky, especially in FE7 colors. I usually suggest people look at some of Pi's sprites for trim references - He's amazing at it.

I do like the colors better, but I'm not so sure about the shading. I can't tell where the light source is coming from and the armor overall looks a bit flat. Looks better than my version though. xP

Also, while I was waiting, I made a new mug! The fourth and last of the main antagonists of FE: Dawn of Darkness, Bernard!

Bernardmug_zps12fbbe17.png

I actually spliced one of my own mugs for this (that Boyd mug I made a long time ago, to be precise) and made a bunch of alterations. Also spliced what's his face from FE7, the leader of the Black Fang. But maaan, those armor spikes were kind of a pain in the ass. :P

Bernard is of the Reaver class and is the leader of a group of bandits, mercenaries, and thieves known as the Red Claw. They were always quite dangerous, but it wasn't until the events of Dawn of Darkness that they became the most threatening adversaries in the continent of Altarais next to the Meloran army. Bernard himself is actually from Melora too, surprise surprise. Isis hired Bernard and his thugs at the suggestion of Royce (major irony here lol, Royce ends up hating the guy, if you remember from my description of him earlier in the thread) and let the Red Claw grow to the size of an army. Bernard is cocky and shares a bitter rivalry with Royce, as the two are always trying to upstage one another and they argue quite a bit. The only reason they don't cut each other's throats is that they'd be jeopardizing Melora's plot.

Interestingly though, Bernard is similar to Royce in that he's cruel and ruthless. It's revealed that he and his thugs were involved with the disappearance of Leyon's older brother, causing Leyon to pursue a vendetta against them. Bernard lets his thugs terrorize the already weak nation of Astryn too and all they ever really want is money and treasures. He's also rather greedy and enjoys pushing Royce's buttons. Many members of the Red Claw actually don't compare to the soldiers of the Meloran army, but some of the higher-ups are quite intelligent, accomplishing feats such as nearly striking down Ike with a powerful poison, infiltrating a wolf laguz castle and tossing the wolf king into his own dungeon, and much more. And many of these orders come straight from Bernard himself. He doesn't look like it, but he's a powerful fighter and he knows how to strategize.

Kon's edit doesn't have intense lighting but shows how the masses should be. Think it just needs well placed highlights and shadows/reflections in the appropriate spots to give it the usual depth.

(I can give it a shot if you like, but I'm pretty novice at armor myself.)

Edited by Lenh

Guys, she clearly doesn't want criticism, so just leave her a few cute compliments like good sycophants and get out while you still can.

Honestly, Ana, you do this every time. Someone tries to help? You refute their criticism. I swear you spend more time trying to find fault in others rather than trying to fix what's wrong.

Edited by Aeothos

Can that one even fit in hackbox?

Nope. But even if it did, it isn't possible to make this story into a game hack, so yeah. I'm not paying attention to hackboxes and shiz. :P

Guys, she clearly doesn't want criticism, so just leave her a few cute compliments like good sycophants and get out while you still can.

Honestly, Ana, you do this every time. Someone tries to help? You refute their criticism. I swear you spend more time trying to find fault in others rather than trying to fix what's wrong.

...What? Where was I ever implying that I didn't want to listen to anyone? I'm just asking for clearer explanations on some things. I'm personally sick of people throwing out the "Ana doesn't want critique just leave her be" argument when I've listened to critique many times over and actually WANTED Kon to recolor my sprite so I can get a better idea of how to shade armor.

...What? Where was I ever implying that I didn't want to listen to anyone? I'm just asking for clearer explanations on some things. I'm personally sick of people throwing out the "Ana doesn't want critique just leave her be" argument when I've listened to critique many times over and actually WANTED Kon to recolor my sprite so I can get a better idea of how to shade armor.

okay so

>kon tries

I do like the colors better, but I'm not so sure about the shading. I can't tell where the light source is coming from and the armor overall looks a bit flat. Looks better than my version though. xP

You criticize her shading

That isn't asking for help on yours, that's defending yours by finding fault in hers--even if you say that its better than yours

---

I'm personally sick of people throwing out the "Ana doesn't want critique just leave her be" argument when I've listened to critique many times over

Honestly this thread was started two years ago and there hasn't been much marked improvement

I think that's because you're taking the criticism into account but you're not actually applying it to your future sprites, nor are you trying to fix the ones that get the crit.

Case in point, the grey-armored dude. You ask Kon to spend her free time fixing it for you, then you say why you don't like it and post a new sprite. I'm aware that you were 'just waiting', but a lot of the time it goes that way in this thread. I don't want to look up specifics, but I know that it has happened before, and frankly its kind of annoying

---

If you're just trying to make basic mugs for your story, that's fine, but if you're actually trying to improve as a spriter, you need to take the criticism, go back to the same sprite it was given for, and work on that sprite until the issue is fixed

So you think I'm not trying to apply what critique I've gotten? I ALWAYS try to. But maybe I still don't get it right on the first attempt or I'm confused, like I said earlier. I can't apply something if I have absolutely no clue what it's talking about.

And I've gone back to improve a lot of sprites, fyi. For the longest time I was taking critique on the Kael mug (it's in the first post) for example. And I wanted to keep working on Royce. And after getting so much critique awhile back, I went and touched up a ton of my mugs. They're probably still not perfect, but they're better than they used to be.

And I've gone back to improve a lot of sprites, fyi. For the longest time I was taking critique on the Kael mug (it's in the first post) for example. And I wanted to keep working on Royce. And after getting so much critique awhile back, I went and touched up a ton of my mugs. They're probably still not perfect, but they're better than they used to be.

If you could link me to these examples, please, and you're right, I'll retract my statement

I just said, look at the first post of this thread to see the Kael mug as well as my statements that I went and touched up a bunch of older sprites. Just check out the gallery I linked there. If they still don't look that great, trust me, they used to look a lot worse.

One example is all well and dandy, but it doesn't invalidate my point--I manage to turn out something that looks good every once in a while too

I'm also talking about the criticism in this thread, which is why I asked for examples from this thread

Well, I don't remember exactly where every example is. This thread has a whole bunch of pages. xP

But I've improved by miles on maps. I took all kinds of critique on those. People even said things like "your mountains are way better than when you started."

You're still just stalling for time by patting yourself on the back in the guise of defending your actions.

Perhaps you should take the edit Kon so graciously made and try going through with the counter-criticism you offered her instead of just pointing fingers, hm?

Edited by Aeothos