Ana's Updated Sprites

Anacybele

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*frowns*

If only my sprites generated this kind of critique.

Try lowering the shoulder on our left a pixel and see if that helps.

It's a mystery woooOOoooOooo...

Actually I think that:

- Ana responds relatively quickly to feedback, and has a definite reaction to it (regardless of whether it's desired or undesired by the one making the input).

- The errors she typically has are easily identified and have well-known fixes

- She has a bit of spritework for people to look back on, and a history. Ideally it's how we could isolate her weakest point based over several examples.

- We're fairly certain that she'll be back to sprite again.

- and everyone loves to watch a good fight / drama. It's happened pretty often when Ana's involved so it gets more attention than most.

Updatedmugs_zps3643abc9.png

This better? :)

Also, here are my two mugs of Azura. The one on the left is her base class (Scout) and the one on the right is her in the Lord class.

Azurashot_zps77651b56.png

She's meant to be standing in a different pose as a Scout than as a Lord. Originally I wasn't sure what to do with the left pauldron in the Scout mug (as I had spliced it from an FE6 character I don't know the name of), but then I realized that I could make it work the way it was already drawn. Scout Azura has a hand on her hip and raises her shoulder a tad in doing so.

Find the originals here and here. At first I tried (and failed) to tweak Raven's hair color, but this time I've tried Miledy's color. Not sure if it works though. I never realized a dark red shade would be so hard to do on this girl... >_<

Finding a good FE Red is surprisingly hard. FE6 ones can be hit or miss, so I tend to default to Eliwood's.

I actually like the direction of her promoted mug, and the color scheme is pretty pleasing. It's a little plain, but clean can trump busyness.

I agree with Loki - Try tapping the shoulder down minimally.

So like, i just got to staring at that Elincia and it just...ate at me. So i decided to tinker with it and omg, Ana...Im not sure what you did with the colors but i found five shades of green in her hair. Thats bad. I also found an extra color in her skin tone. Wat. Not only that but her bun was kind wonky, among other minor things.

So..

nh1a8h.png

FE8 colors. Not entirely happy with that green but im not bold enough for making my own palettes. Lumi messed with the hue a bit.

There were too many lines where her hair is supposed to be pulled back. Keep an eye out on colors like that. I was in the same trap at one point in time.

It's a mystery woooOOoooOooo...

Actually I think that:

- Ana responds relatively quickly to feedback, and has a definite reaction to it (regardless of whether it's desired or undesired by the one making the input).

- The errors she typically has are easily identified and have well-known fixes

- She has a bit of spritework for people to look back on, and a history. Ideally it's how we could isolate her weakest point based over several examples.

- We're fairly certain that she'll be back to sprite again.

- and everyone loves to watch a good fight / drama. It's happened pretty often when Ana's involved so it gets more attention than most.

Yeah, Lenh pretty much has it spot on, now that I think about it. lol

Finding a good FE Red is surprisingly hard. FE6 ones can be hit or miss, so I tend to default to Eliwood's.

I actually like the direction of her promoted mug, and the color scheme is pretty pleasing. It's a little plain, but clean can trump busyness.

I agree with Loki - Try tapping the shoulder down minimally.

Ah, I see. And thanks! :)

Yeah, I tapped the shoulder down a pixel and it does look better now:

Azurashot_zpse22b4471.png

Even though Azura wears a light suit of armor, she fights on foot. And she's a mercenary, so her stats are actually fairly similar to Ike's. The only real difference is that she has a bigger focus on magic and res. She's a little faster, but has rather shoddy defense (that armor is light and stuff so she can be as fast as she is, so yeah lol). Her defense isn't as bad as that of mages or Myrmidons though. She's sword-locked until she promotes (she gains lances when she hits Lord), but if I were making this into a game, certain swords and other weapons would go back to using the magic stat, such as the Runesword and Sonic Sword. And she gets a magical lance that uses the magic stat as her ultimate weapon (aka, equivalent to Ragnell, Falchion, etc.). Oh, by the way, she'll also get a third mug when I introduce her third tier class. ;)

Character wise, she's kinda in between Sully and Lyn. Rather tomboyish and has a tough attitude, but not as foul-mouthed as the former. She's a little hateful towards men, as she's had few good experiences with them, and isn't that great at accepting aid from others in battle for a time. She also doesn't like swearing at all, at least for awhile. Then, all of a sudden, she starts using "damn" and "ass" a bit frequently. lol Lastly, she's arachnophobic. Haha.

Next, I've fixed these two up:

MarcLeonamugs_zpse22b4471.png

This is Marc and Leona, the early knights of the story. Like Sain and Kent in FE7, they're the reverse of the traditional red/green cavalier knight duo, as far as stats go. Marc is the strong and tanky one with more HP, Leona has higher speed, skill, and res. Personality-wise, they remain like the typical green and red cav knight (I gave Leona purple armor to stray away from the tradition a bit. There is an actual red cavalier knight though!). Marc is the level-headed and calm-minded one, Leona is the one with a shorter fuse and a bit of an attitude. She doesn't look like it, but she'll get into arguments when she wants to, especially when it comes to defending Marc and his disability (he has mild short-term memory loss). :P

Florina/Loki: What. xP Her hair was only supposed to have three colors. The two extra ones must've been leftover when I was changing the hair color. >.>

Edited by Anacybele

Florina/Loki: What. xP Her hair was only supposed to have three colors. The two extra ones must've been leftover when I was changing the hair color. >.>

What do you use to modify sprites with? Cuz i use MSPaint and i do the eraser trick when it comes to recoloring.

Leona's hair pointies need to be less...pointy. That really doesnt look natural, so try sorta bending em to make them look more uniform to her face and the rest of her hair.

@Azura, its amazing what one pixel can do, isnt it? lol She looks less...crooked.

if you use photoshop, put fill bucket on these settings. maybe set tolerance to 2 if it doesn't get the whole block of color in 1 go-I remeber the older PS's has a bit of trouble with that. I had it on 2 back when I was using CS4, though CS6 fixed it

dd47ff8c12.png

Edited by Thor Odinson

What do you use to modify sprites with? Cuz i use MSPaint and i do the eraser trick when it comes to recoloring.

Leona's hair pointies need to be less...pointy. That really doesnt look natural, so try sorta bending em to make them look more uniform to her face and the rest of her hair.

@Azura, its amazing what one pixel can do, isnt it? lol She looks less...crooked.

I use Paint. And yeah, the eraser method is awesome. I don't know what happened, as I always use the eraser method these days. xP

At Leona's hair, alrighty, I'll see what I can do about that. ;P

I know, it IS amazing what one pixel can do!

Alrighty, is this better?

MarcLeonamugs_zps3918742c.png

Also, Imma be taking a break from spriting again soonish. At least mugs, anyway. I've been doing those for the past several days. :P

We've got an Elincia with tweaked hair now, courtesy of Florina/Loki's reference and pointing out of those two extra colors. :3

Updatedmugs_zps770bdf07.png

I think I'm done playing with these three though (as well as Marc and Leona). I wanna move on to something else already. lol

Edited by Anacybele

Okay, here's one last updated mug for now.

Bryanshot_zps288db3f5.png

This is Bryan, one of the lead males in the story. I updated him because I realized that I need him for the next comic in my series as well lol. But I'm glad I did anyway, as he's my personal favorite character in the story. :3

Bryan serves as the Jagen (he joins fairly early, starts as a prepromoted Halberdier, advises Azura, etc.) and leads a platoon in the army of Talgria, though unlike typical Jagens, he doesn't fall behind towards the end of the adventure. In fact, a lot of people would probably call him the most broken playable Sentinel so far. lol His growths in HP, defense, strength, and skill are all above 60. He's a bit slow (speed growth isn't much higher than 40% lolz) and has terrible resistance, but he can tank hits from anything that isn't magic and double units that aren't of the Myrmidon line.

But why is he very strong? Well, during his own small arc, he has to face a very powerful adversary. It wouldn't do if he didn't have the necessary stats to beat this guy, amirite? :P

Oh, not to mention his name means "strong one" lolol.

Character-wise though, Bryan isn't at all like what his combat skills might suggest. He's rather sensitive and cries a bit easily for a grown man. He actually really hates violence and use to never fight back at all. He needed a push from his best friend, Skye, to get him to start toughening up more. He did enjoy learning to use a lance though, and he started when he was only around nine years old. He's regarded as one of the most skilled lancers in the Talgrian army as a result. However, he's not that great a leader, though his part of the story sees him grow as one. His childhood was full of misery and other kids bullied him to no end because of his interests and his crying. In fact, they all rudely called him "Cryin' Bryan." But this treatment changed him significantly. He lashes out a lot easier now if anyone dares tell him he's weak or a wimp and he can't stand seeing someone bully someone else that's weaker than them. He's just sick of all the shit he put up with about it. Oh, and you'd best not tell him any secrets, as he's terrible at keeping them. lol

• 2 weeks later...

So, another update, finally! I'm working on fixing my Ike battle sprites this time.

IkeHerosprites_zps0ebf50a4.png

He's in his Hero class, but I did an axe version because he can wield them in my fic. The dodge sprite is used in a comic as well. These look so much better than the originals lol. Ike had such a stiff cape and his legs looked all fat and some of the pixels looked random. xP

The sword is based off of Ettard, Ike's starting blade in RD, btw.

Edited by Anacybele

The ettard handle and blade don't seem to line up. I'd reference how the mercenary battle sprite is shaded (esp. the legs) to correct shading issues. Eliwood or hector would be good references for the cape. Splicing and recolouring, rather than customing may have been easier for some of those pieces.

Edited by deranger

No character has armor or clothing that resembles Ike's though. I couldn't really splice even if I wanted to. xP

But yeah, I should've looked at Hector's cape for reference since he's standing at the same angle. As for Ettard (which is actually not Ettard, but an upgraded version of it, just a bit of trivia. It just looks more like the normal Ettard when simplified this way lol), I thought it lined up, but I guess I should double check.

I'll go back to the Mercenary sprite too since it was my base.

Edited by Anacybele

Might I suggest changing the colour of his tights to a white rather than a skin colour? At the moment it just looks like they're his bare legs which, while kind of hot, is also kind of weird.

Might I suggest changing the colour of his tights to a white rather than a skin colour? At the moment it just looks like they're his bare legs which, while kind of hot, is also kind of weird.

He's channeling his inner Marth.

Tights? I think you mean pants. :P I'm not spriting Peter Pan here. lol

But now that I look at it again, you're right. The pants color is too close to the skin color.