Ana's Updated Sprites

Anacybele

There, this might be better. It's closer to white, though not entirely. Still a hint of yellowish brown because Ike's pants are never purely white.

IkeHerosprites_zpsbfe1a6f8.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now to go with my Hero Ike sprites, I have Vanguard Ike ones! ^^ I had him wield Ragnell too!

IkeVanguardsprites_zps9483c149.png

These were actually newer than my Hero Ike sprites, so the first version looked better. I used Hector's axe for the axe sprite, but I had to modify it because Hector holds his axe at a slightly different angle. I dunno if I did a good job with that though.

But this was a tough sprite to do regardless. lol Oh, and you can disregard my pants comment above, I forgot that Ike actually DOES have some pretty white pants as a Vanguard. :P

Edited by Anacybele

There, this might be better. It's closer to white, though not entirely. Still a hint of yellowish brown because Ike's pants are never purely white.

IkeHerosprites_zpsbfe1a6f8.png

I'd use a darker color for the eyes. They don't particularly stand out and he he has that flat-facedness that the FE6 mercenary (as opposed to the FE7 one) has.

The Vanguard has the same problem re: the face, but I rather like that one. It's cleaner color wise.

MercLord makes a good suggestion though - It's a lot easier to see fine details on a sprite with a good background.

These are the two colors I flipflop between - 8c6bd84fdd6c0e69fe6d4444d83b7b69.png

See how much easier it is to read the sprite on either color?

(I'm also partial to green.)

I'd use a darker color for the eyes. They don't particularly stand out and he he has that flat-facedness that the FE6 mercenary (as opposed to the FE7 one) has.

The Vanguard has the same problem re: the face, but I rather like that one. It's cleaner color wise.

MercLord makes a good suggestion though - It's a lot easier to see fine details on a sprite with a good background.

These are the two colors I flipflop between - 8c6bd84fdd6c0e69fe6d4444d83b7b69.png

See how much easier it is to read the sprite on either color?

(I'm also partial to green.)

I personally find those colours to be too intensive of their respective tones.

208gto4.png

I prefer using these for backgrounds.

I have to agree with NICKT, I find those colors far too bright. >_< I'll use one of NICKT's suggestions.

That's odd about the face though, I took it from the FE7 Mercenary. But I could have made changes to it that I don't remember when I first made the sprite, so yeah. I'll fix that too.

I have to agree with NICKT, I find those colors far too bright. >_< I'll use one of NICKT's suggestions.

That's odd about the face though, I took it from the FE7 Mercenary. But I could have made changes to it that I don't remember when I first made the sprite, so yeah. I'll fix that too.

The point is that they're that bright so you can see fine detail, particularly aliasing/corners/etc al. (Although I took that shot with F.lux, so it's probably brighter for you all.) A light green like the item icon transparencies works too.

I think it might honestly just be the pixels of the eye tone, and I think the widest part of his head by his shoulder. Ah, it looks like you added a skin tone over what's normally hair there? (bottom corner.)

(Raven's head)

871f68c7980a04967123437eb1c030d4.png

Edited by Siuloir

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it can't still go well with the sprite's colors. No one complained about the reddish brown I used for the Hero Ike sprites. :P

Your working background color will affect how easily you can work with your sprite and how easily it reads/stands out against other backgrounds in the end.

Since FE-style always has the dark outline it's best to work with a middle or light value BG. Also since FE sprites are towards the higher end of saturation, you're better off having the background be more greyish or low-sat. (It's good to switch up the tint every now and then while you're working on it.)

No one probably complained until it reached a point where the sprites were too hard to read against your background (in this case dark bg with dark outline).

Hey, I'm just trying to understand what you're pointing out to me... Sorry. But I understand now. thanks guys.

Anyway, fixed stuffs!

IkeHerosprites_zps1da09139.png

IkeVanguardsprites_zpsf1cc6bb2.png

I tweaked Vanguard Ike's axe a bit in addition to adding the suggested changes. I like it better this way. :P I don't know about changing the eye pixel though. I made it blue since, well, Ike's eyes are blue, but close up, it now appears that he has brown eyebrows instead of blue like his hair. xP

Edited by Anacybele

Much better with the color changes.

Ragnell looks like it could use some more shading along the bottom. Seems rather flat right now.

I like Hero!Ike's axe; I'm reminded of a lumberjack for some reason, haha.

Are you talking about the hilt? Or the bottom of the blade?

Haha, I did forget to mention, Hero Ike's axe is tweaked from the Berserker one. lol

Hey, I'm just trying to understand what you're pointing out to me... Sorry. But I understand now. thanks guys.

Anyway, fixed stuffs!

IkeHerosprites_zps1da09139.png

IkeVanguardsprites_zpsf1cc6bb2.png

I tweaked Vanguard Ike's axe a bit in addition to adding the suggested changes. I like it better this way. :P I don't know about changing the eye pixel though. I made it blue since, well, Ike's eyes are blue, but close up, it now appears that he has brown eyebrows instead of blue like his hair. xP

If you make his eyebrows blue they're going to blend into his hair and it's going to be a mess. That brown is more shading, anyway - Raven has it and he has red hair. All the mercenaries do.

It just seemed the light brown tone that is the default eye looks odd on the rest of the sprite.

Third color definitely helps - Most weapons use 3 on their blades.

You also aren't constrained by color limit since it's not meant to be hack insertable, so you have a lot of flexibility.

Armor looks nice, too.

Yeah, I don't limit myself to that stuff because one, it's impossible to do so with how much more detailed Tellius (style) characters are than the GBA ones, and two, even if it WAS possible, my fanfic can't be made into a game anyway due to Tellius having a bunch of stuff that isn't in the GBA games. :P

I don't really plan to make it into a game either even if it does become possible. I would just need too much help and I don't have the necessary skills. lol

Thanks, btw! I'm glad I'm improving. ^^

Yeah, I don't limit myself to that stuff because one, it's impossible to do so with how much more detailed Tellius (style) characters are than the GBA ones,

Do not underestimate the power of 16 colors to express detail. Fighting game sprites (albeit much larger) are some of the most gorgeous spritework you'll see, and they're only 16 colors.

Or look at some of the stuff Yeti's done.

But since you have infinite colors, go nuts. Might as well use all the tools you have available to you.