"Blaze" My First Custom Spell

Brendor

I'm not an expert in drawing or inserting spells (which makes it appear more impressive to me). That said, it doesn't look very realistic. The in game spells are, I believe, partially transparent for one. I would reference other fire spells to get a better idea on what they're supposed to look like.

I don't know about looking realistic, but this

2012-08-23_2327.png

is definitely partially transparent.

To get the sort of fire you've got going, I'd recommend referencing elfire, as it's got a similar sort of blaze going. One thing that definitely stands out is a lack of the dark red outline elfire has. Probably wouldn't hurt to just rip the colors straight from elfire as well, if you haven't already (can't really tell). I'd also suggest keeping the base of the fire from moving much (it currently stretches down to well below the bandit's feet), as fire usually has a fairly static base, with the tendrils or whatever you want to call them doing most of the moving. Still, looks quite good, and nicely animated.

They're kind of right that the first animation doesn't really fit the game style, but I do like it. It seems kinda weird with the growing and shrinking though.

I really like the second one a lot more though.

I agree with Psych, your alternative looks much better.

The first one looks awkward, perhaps it would be better if the flame started in the center of the unit and grew out both directions equally? I don't know, I think it's weird how it starts for the bottom right and grows to the left.

It's very Nice! I find it better than precedents. But I have to say that it should be better if you take reference with other fire spells in fire emblem to place the different red-orange-yellow colors because it is difficult to see the form of the spell.

If you compare to another Tome like Fire of Inferno I mean.

But still your spell is nice.

Has a stock image vibe to it (wanna say RPGMaker or some standard RPG, specially with the style of transformations+lowKeyFrame count used), would rather you call it a remix/notACustom and credit the stock if that's the case. (Apologies if it's not, there's just one too many questions here.)

Goes from flame-thrower(used as fireball/wall)->'magic' fire->fire pillar indiscriminately without transitions. I understand the flame path but not the change in fire-types. :/ Add those tweens in, modify the frame of the flamethrower part that looks like it's impacted a wall and it should be pretty decent plain animation-wise.

I dig that second one, but the transitions are kind of strange. It sort of starts as a shot/stream as it travels (quite slowly, mind you) to the enemy, then kind of spirals into a pillar. I think to make it transition into the spiral seem more natural, you should do a faster, kind of creeping flame from the ground.

If that doesn't make sense, imagine a hallway, and there's a line of gasoline on the floor of this hallway. Now drop a lighter onto one end, and it would set fire in a line, creeping from one end to the other. And the last issue is the palette and art direction. It's kind of quick for me to critique the sprites, but I would definitely reference the Elfire palette, as everyone else suggested :)