FEXP Ultimate Guide

Klokinator

This is my topic for the FEXP Ultimate Tutorial. I will be updating this periodically, and I find it's quite easy to make. There are a lot of things that look a bit ugly, the Table of Contents will need to be modified and revamped, you know, small things like that. Anyway here it is for anyone who wants to read the introductory chapter.

FEXP Ultimate Guide Revised 6.2 (Only viewable with Microsoft word 2007/2010)

If you notice any details I may have missed, please give me feedback as I want to make this comprehensive and complete. Ongoing work will be on my forum while only major updates will happen on SF.

Oh, and if you have something in particular you want to learn about, post here or PM me and I'll add it to my todo list. No guarantees though, but I'll get to everything I know at some point.

Edited by Klokinator

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad, Klok :P I just skimmed through a bit, 'cause I'm far enough in ROM hacking that this is fairly irrelevant to me, but it seemed like it would be helpful for even those with no FEXP/RMXP/Ruby/whatever else knowledge, like myself :3.

pdef =/= player defense, it's PHYSICAL defense (mdef is resistance)

Also why are you suggesting people learn to script in the first chapter, that goes against the point of a beginner's tutorial :V

Link to Prime's tutorial, that will make it easier.

lol typo "lways"

Also it might be a good idea to use Super FEXP as the base instead of GW, unless you don't have that on hand...

And be sure to mention you're going to explain HOW to do text later ._."

I think you have a bit too much detail about some aspects here. Until the graphics section, nobody needs to know the dimensions of a battle animation frame.

Battlers does dodging frames AND standing frames, by the way.

LOL audio is extremely self explanatory... "I don't know actually" ME is musical effect, which is kind of like a halfway point between music and sound. It's typically like a jingle that stops the music for a moment.

Finally, lovely background.

Maybe post all the critique on our forum where I post the newest updates cuz I already fixed most of that XD

Link to Prime's tutorial, that will make it easier.

I'm actually writing it out on a computer with no internet, I have to edit that later.

Also why are you suggesting people learn to script in the first chapter, that goes against the point of a beginner's tutorial :V

It's not a beginner's tutorial. It's the ultimate tutorial.

Also it might be a good idea to use Super FEXP as the base instead of GW, unless you don't have that on hand...

I ended up swapping back to Super FEXP 1.0.1 for a good portion of the tutorial, there's notations where I did.

Battlers does dodging frames AND standing frames, by the way.

LOL audio is extremely self explanatory... "I don't know actually" ME is musical effect, which is kind of like a halfway point between music and sound. It's typically like a jingle that stops the music for a moment.

Thanks!

pdef =/= player defense, it's PHYSICAL defense (mdef is resistance)

Whoops.

And be sure to mention you're going to explain HOW to do text later ._."

I'm pretty sure I did. You realize the tutorial isn't finished right?

How do you make GBA as powerful and unlimited in its potential like FEXP?

you pay me obviously

I can't wait to see Xiao Emblem ported to the GBA :O

i could probably get it to actually do that in a matter of hours

I know it's the ultimate tutorial, but it needs to be beginner friendly if you want people to start using FEXP. You're explaining everything else from scratch (HERES HOW YOU TURN IT ON LOLOL)

Butttt I'll check out the version you've got on Klokreations'n see what that's like (after my internet decides to be not lame)

Also I don't think it's possible to port a FEXP game to GB--*reads cam's post*

._."

But a scripter from Yeti's site got in contact with m- uh i mean

I don't have a problem with paying. I'll pay for things that work well and work good, and I always pay. How much do you want? Yeah let's turn my ultimate tutorial thread into a bartering session, why not.

don't use a green background and black text. I can barely read what you've got written, man.

I can read it fine, but I was planning to change it later anyway. Maybe like a light airy sky blue.

Edited by Klokitty

I completed chapter 2 and also added a third chapter today. We're up to 43 pages so far and I think I'm cranking this out really fast.

Version 3.00 http://www.mediafire.com/view/?k4ecvix6k4iwdij

Featuring addition to creating units, including Generics and Pre-defined generics and a huge new chapter on writing dialogue, this tutorial is reaching srs bsnss stage!

Any comments are appreciated, as usual.

Edit: Oh, and this is a rough draft. There will be lack of links to some resources for right now, but when I create the second draft, I'll be revitalizing the whole thing and majorly improving it.

Edited by Klokitty

Version 4.0 available! This version adds another full chapter about editing Items and Weapons and some small revisions to other parts of the whole tutorial.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?eo28w3b2j30tzx0

4 whole chapters so far, 53 pages. I recommend downloading it and viewing it as a pdf file rather than downloading it online. You lose searching functions and view it much more slowly online.

10O1T.png

8 is affinity, 9 is gender

AI values are a bit more refined than that. The actual mission the unit has is 0-99 (with only some of them coded, the numbers you mention) but the hundreds place is used for movement priority. So a unit with mission 1 and mission 101 will both do the same thing (attack in range), but the 101 will go first. That's why bosses are generally 500 or so, so they have an attack without moving mission and go before all the other enemies.

The final number in FACE_OFFSETS is the expression to use in the status screen

Con for generics can be set to -1 and it will use the class default (defined below the class generic stats)

The "Pre battle scene SKIP" event goes first because its trigger is Autorun. The SKIP part means that if you press ente- wait this is explained right on the second page

You can have multiple lines for the names of loaded text files but you'd have to do something like

load_text('TestMap/Folder/Folder/' +
 'Folder/Scene1')

I am 99% certain that \s[-1] is for the text box appearing at the top middle of the screen (for ghostly voices/echoes/from an unknown direction), but I think maybe I didn't code it right in FEXP? Either way \s[-2] is the one that you use for no text boxes at all

\r[#] can be used before a face sprite is loaded to make it load facing the other way (one of the houses in Tr2 used this)

For death quotes, \s[1] will always be on the side the dying unit is on, instead of always being on the left

You missed a bit about external text usage, though I don't think it's used in FEXP. You can load multiple text files in a row to string them together, then play them as one conversation by using prep_text() instead of load_text(). This lets you fine tune bits of the conversation based on who is recruited/alive/etc, and other event related things. After you have all the text loaded in you have to use run_text() to make it play (load_text() is essentially prep_text() and run_text() as a single command).

Prf by character allows multiple people using commas as separators, just like Prf by class does (letting only princesses use some staff or whatever)

That's everything that jumps out at me

10NKC.png

I will end you

troll successful

but srsly What date did you start?

10O1T.png

8 is affinity, 9 is gender

AI values are a bit more refined than that. The actual mission the unit has is 0-99 (with only some of them coded, the numbers you mention) but the hundreds place is used for movement priority. So a unit with mission 1 and mission 101 will both do the same thing (attack in range), but the 101 will go first. That's why bosses are generally 500 or so, so they have an attack without moving mission and go before all the other enemies.

The final number in FACE_OFFSETS is the expression to use in the status screen

Con for generics can be set to -1 and it will use the class default (defined below the class generic stats)

The "Pre battle scene SKIP" event goes first because its trigger is Autorun. The SKIP part means that if you press ente- wait this is explained right on the second page

You can have multiple lines for the names of loaded text files but you'd have to do something like

load_text('TestMap/Folder/Folder/' +
 'Folder/Scene1')

I am 99% certain that \s[-1] is for the text box appearing at the top middle of the screen (for ghostly voices/echoes/from an unknown direction), but I think maybe I didn't code it right in FEXP? Either way \s[-2] is the one that you use for no text boxes at all

\r[#] can be used before a face sprite is loaded to make it load facing the other way (one of the houses in Tr2 used this)

For death quotes, \s[1] will always be on the side the dying unit is on, instead of always being on the left

You missed a bit about external text usage, though I don't think it's used in FEXP. You can load multiple text files in a row to string them together, then play them as one conversation by using prep_text() instead of load_text(). This lets you fine tune bits of the conversation based on who is recruited/alive/etc, and other event related things. After you have all the text loaded in you have to use run_text() to make it play (load_text() is essentially prep_text() and run_text() as a single command).

Prf by character allows multiple people using commas as separators, just like Prf by class does (letting only princesses use some staff or whatever)

That's everything that jumps out at me

A lot of great info, when I get around to the revisions after I'm done with the first draft, I'll definitely be including all this. The part about the scene skip I actually realized was a mistake the next day but I'll wait till I'm done with the outline before I get around to fixing that.

Also for everyone else, it's sorta a day late but here's V 5.0!

http://www.mediafire.com/?ib63h9bsbd4im39

Featuring a new chapter on adding classes ingame (Albeit slightly incomplete, I'll update it in the revision.)