Return of Starlight36's Sprite Thread!

Topaz Light

Alrighty, so, um...

In my introduction I said I did some spriting! And, partially since eCut said something vaguely implying I should make a sprite thread here, I will. I don't have too much right now, but I've been doing some basic splicing and I think it'd be nice if I could get you people's opinions on 'em!

dNljD.png

Here are... lots of different iterations of a lord character I made. I'm actually quite happy with her character; she's a thief lord, but not quite the same sort of thief you usually recruit. She's more about trickery than stealth. Besides, I thought it'd be neat to have a protagonist who isn't quite a paragon of goodness and morality for once. (Also, a female "Marth" archetype; that is to say, a female lord who is unquestionably the main character with no opportunity to "opt out" of this, like what was done with Eirika) Not really happy with her armor colors, but I was trying to keep her inside the palette limit. I'm not entirely sure it comes across in the sprite, but she's supposed to be petit, but pudgy. Her hair is Wendy's, I used a bit of... Wolt I think? For the bangs, first eye type is based on Tate/Thito's eyes, second eye type is based on Rebecca's and is super-sparkly, headband-wing-bobble thing is obviously from Priscilla, outfits are, from left to right, Serra, Hellene's robes, (but not the inner shirt) and Vanessa's armor with Beta!Ephraim's cape. No idea who I used for the face.

In case it's at all relevant, her weapon type of choice is the Lance.

mLTtp.png

Ahaha...haha...ha... Oh yes, this guy. Hair is Saleh's, face is Sue's, body is Erk's, smiling mouth is Artur's (and the non-smiling one is edited from that) and the hand is FE7!Anna's. Those are some battle sprites next to him, obviously. Yes, he does have two skin colors, and yes, that's intentional. Suffice it to say that more than one person's parts comprise his body, through no fault of his own. I made a Mage sprite for him, but I think he'd actually come as a Sage. Again, tried to stay inside the 16-color limit here.

dAnsv.png

Alrighty, this is a simple edit (and splice) of the Mercenary and Linus/Raven!Hero sprites for a certain character who still needs a mugshot. She (yes, she) is a rambunctious tomboy swordfighter who disguises as a guy to avoid being picked on or punished. (Remember, as awesome as the girls often are, Fire Emblem IS still set in a middle-ages-type society, so there'd likely be some prejudice in place there) I really want to make her face sprite now. Head is FE6!MaleThief's, and I edited her shoulders to be a bit less broad to accomodate for her state of femininity. Her hairstyle is actually supposed to be similar to Lucas', from the Mother/EarthBound series, (Mother 3, to be precise), but that doesn't come across too well in the battle sprites. I'll try to make it clearer on her face sprite, though.

E2Aqh.png

Um... Oh dear, I am a bit afraid to post this one. Not only is the splice pretty obvious and not really that creative, (Lugh+Nino+Roy+Lilina) but the character is actually rather... unusual... in a way that might make people a bit uncomfortable, despite being totally genetic and not the character's doing in any way. And also, bright primary colors Lord.

Battle sprite is made from Eirika's with Nino's head and lots of little custom edits. By the way, those red "pants" actually comprise the bottom half of a full-body undersuit-type-thing. I like giving my characters unorthodox clothing. :)

Thanks to The Blind Archer for his open-source skin tone reference sheet!

These sprites, however, are not open source.

Also thanks to some person on an old FE forum for the huge sheet of palettes I used for the non-skin tone recolors. I don't remember your username, but you're awesome for providing those palettes!

Edited by Starlight36

This isn't constructive!

Seriously. . .I rather like Ms. Thief Lord's colors (the second set of eyes are bugging me, and I can't put my finger on why), and Mr. Dark-Skinned Mage's colors. As for the backstories, eh, this is a sprite thread.

EDIT: I think I figured out what's bugging me. Here's the palettes for the two eyes (lightest to darkest):

Rebecca:
30b070

Thief Lord:
73d7f7
31aade
0070ad

Ms. Thief Lord has much lighter colors overall, which makes her eyes stand out from the outline color more. I happen to like her palette overall, but if you're going for the color limit, maybe make her eyes/clothes a bit darker?

Edited by eclipse

My biggest problem with Thief Lord's color palette was the whole two kinds of silver thing, but yeah, I noticed the thing about the eyes. Prolly shoulda mentioned that the lower set is the original and the upper set is revised. I'll probably get around to fixing that in a bit; tomorrow, most likely.

As for the backstories thing? Eh, y'know, you don't have to read them, but all that sorta tends to run together for me when I'm posting about my characters someplace, even if that place is a place of spriting and not of storylines. Nonetheless, I do hope you enjoyed them anyway, although I'm not certain if you've read them or not.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my sprites!

Also, I hope I don't sound rude here, but I would like to say, preemptively, that no, you may not use any of these in your hack. I mean, not that you'd want to, given their thorough mediocrity, but these are actually defined characters here; not just random sprites; it'd be like Nintendo lending out Luigi's design for someone to use for their own character in their own game. Well, not quite like that, given the huge gap in notoriety between me and Nintendo, but my point is made.

how presumptuous

Is there any kind of criticism that isn't constructive? Considering "lol ur sprites suck" isn't really criticism, it's more like trolling.

I'm just trying to get an idea for what kind of crit you're looking for, not trying to argue or anything.

Is there any kind of criticism that isn't constructive? Considering "lol ur sprites suck" isn't really criticism, it's more like trolling.

I'm just trying to get an idea for what kind of crit you're looking for, not trying to argue or anything.

Same. cuz no offense, but that OP came off as super uppity.

Alright, my OP is edited to sound less "uppity", I hope.

Keep in mind that it was posted at like 2:00am (in my time zone) and that I'm fairly paranoid as these things go, so I wasn't trying to be offend anyone or anything like that.

Bright colors? I do like them, though I'm well aware that Bright Primary Colors Lord has a rather eye-burning palette. I will likely get around to adjusting the thief lord's, too, but with her the bright, white hair, at least, was intentional. Not sure if the bright colors thing applies to the sage, too, but if so... I was limiting myself to the system palette limitations (the whole "16 colors per sprite" thing) and after skin tones and outline and background colors, I only had four more color "slots" left, which I used on the hair and cloak color and the single shade of green for the eyes and inner shirt. I will, however, got through my palette and see if I have any more mellow colors.

Oh wait, the white inner eye color pushes it over the limit by just one shade. Dang. Oh well, I'll work out a fix for it~ I have one in mind. (This part is referring to the Sage)

Again, I'm really sorry if I came off as "uppity" in my OP. It was not my intention, and I apologize if I offended anyone.

Thanks for your understanding.

EDIT:

This is actually a very good point. Mostly I just don't wanna be trolled, but honest criticism is welcome, of course!

EDIT AGAIN:

Oh, by the way, are we allowed to post non-FE sprites in our sprite threads, too? Because I have some of those to display as well, if it's okay.

Edited by Starlight36

• 6 months later...

I return! And I bring a WIP:

0CzWi1L.png

Completely full-custom, in a new style inspired by Tales of Phantasia GBA. This perhaps-unfittingly-adorable style is what I'm planning to use for an RPG Maker VX Ace Fire Emblem fan game.

I thought it would be a good idea to do a test run of the style to sort of get a feel for it, and this is what I came up with in about... an hour, I'd say? And of course, what better class to start with than the Cavalier, the trusty ol' fan favorite? This is, of course, just a generic allied cavalier, hence the colors. (The enemy-faction orientation is just because that's the way I made the sprite. It doesn't really mean anything. Besides, battle scene orientation will be DSFE style anyway.) The battle animations are planned to be like a cross between the SNES entries' and Awakening's. That is to say, basically "What If Awakening Was a Sprite Game?"-style. This includes the specific equipped weapon being visible in battle, although the weapons wielded here are just generic representative models.

So, what do you think of the style? Anything I can do to improve it? (Especially the hair. I tried my best but it's still ugh. Oh, and the horse, of course.)

Daww, you should totally make a Chibi Emblem~ ^^

It reminds me of NES era with the colors used and just the stylisms, which isn't a bad thing, and the rider is good as-is, imo. The horse seems a little longer in the body than it should be, maybe scrunch the front end back a pixel? Ignoring the horse front/back leg and snout, not sure if going for anatomical correctness would improve the sprite.

Overall looks pretty decent and I wouldn't mind seeing more~

• 1 year later...

NIce Job dude! If I may ask I was wondering if you could help me out on my current project. Which would be my Fire Emblem game built from scratch as in Fire Emblem : The sage chronicles which is what it's called. If you could help me out that'd be great.