I want to get into Let's Plays. What do I need?

Roosterofdoom

You'll need a pretty good computer if you want to emulate and record (for ps2/gamecube/wii games), otherwise if you're recording on console, the first step is a dazzle, but you still need a decentish computer. (Emulating then recording your screen makes the quality higher, even if you have an HDPVR, dazzle only records at 480i, I think, Rey, Trent, help me out on this.)

You'll also need an editing program for arrange/crop your clips, as well as render it out. (Please do not use windows movie maker)

A good mic is always nice, one that gives clear sound, and can cancel a good amount of background noise.

(It also helps if you plan on LPing things like GBA games, that you can record system sound with Camtasia, makes the sound quality higher and editing less of a hassle)

You'll need a pretty good computer if you want to emulate and record (for ps2/gamecube/wii games), otherwise if you're recording on console, the first step is a dazzle, but you still need a decentish computer. (Emulating then recording your screen makes the quality higher, even if you have an HDPVR, dazzle only records at 480i, I think, Rey, Trent, help me out on this.)

The Hauppauge HDPVR only records PS2/Wii games at 480p, while the Dazzle only records at 480i.

Emulating PS2/Wii games give you the further option of recording in 720p or higher depending on what your computer can handle. But that requires a SUPER POWERFUL HIGH TIER COMPUTER.

Unless you're a quality obsessive, having a Dazzle is good enough to play on the consoles.

Not that I have much experience with LPing, but like with all things, start with entry-level equipment, and if you find that you still like doing it and people like what you're doing then go for the next best thing. After all, you don't want to spend $400 on new equipment only to find that no one's watching your videos, or that LPing isn't that fun.

That's exactly what I was coming here to say. I'll probably start cheap, and get better equipment if it turns out well. So am I going to need Dazzle, a mic, and a camera to record the screen? Because I don't have any of that. Any suggestions for mics?

A Dazzle DOES record your screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCaM8Xr1itk

You need splitters.

I guess my recommendations are a bit technical if you're just starting out, but I would recommend just going for an EZ Cap instead of a Dazzle. For something like $10, you can get something that works well enough for standard definition video. You could end up getting one with crappy audio though, so you'd have to drop a few dollars more on extra equipment if that happens.

But yeah, combine that with something like AmaRecTV and you'll have a great recording setup. I think AmaRecTV even comes with an optional program that lets you automatically mix in microphone audio, if you're looking to record that stuff live instead of afterwards. Never really used it for that purpose though, so I can't say how well it works.

I guess my recommendations are a bit technical if you're just starting out, but I would recommend just going for an EZ Cap instead of a Dazzle. For something like $10, you can get something that works well enough for standard definition video.

Oh crap, I completely forgot about that. Yes, go with that suggestion first.

Cool. That thing AstraLunaSol said about HDPVR is what confused me about how they work. Sorry bout that. I'll need to figure out how I'd set it up and probably order an EZCap sometime in the next month. But I might need to get a new computer first, so I may have to put it on hold for a while. But thank you to everyone.