[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

Thank you for following the original project!

Midnight Sun is now an indie game called "Path of the Midnight Sun".

You can watch the full presentation here:

If you like what you've seen, please consider supporting on Kickstarter and/or share the page with others! Thank you so much!

I won't abandon this project, it's important to me. It has a special meaning. So, I'll bring it to an end, even if it'll take me months, years!

^(written on October 3rd 2012... and still going on!)

Edited by Alfred Kamon

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW ! looks good very promising, though i have two questions?

1 where did the vaguely soren looking sprite come from?

2 would you like help on maps

also the image quality is kinda bad not sure how you would fix it though

First things first, you have screens and already showing some progress which, like Cyron said, is very promising. I also like that you have enough conviction to post this:

I won't abandon this project, is important to me. It has a special meaning. So, I'll bring it to an end, even if it'll take me months, years...

I hope you get this done because it looks pretty cool. Also I don't think there has been a hack with deep psychological development of characters before.

WOW ! looks good very promising, though i have two questions?

1 where did the vaguely soren looking sprite come from?

2 would you like help on maps

also the image quality is kinda bad not sure how you would fix it though

Thank you very much!

Answers:

1- I did it using a Soren sprite as base! ; )

2- I hope not to sound selfish, but I want to do this hack all by myself: like I said, it has a special meaning to me. This doesn't mean I don't need help, so even if I won't accept maps or sprites made from others, suggestions on how to improve my sprites/maps are well accepted. ^^

So it's a "yes" if you intended to help me on improving my mapping skills, "no" if you wanted to make maps for my game.

First things first, you have screens and already showing some progress which, like Cyron said, is very promising. I also like that you have enough conviction to post this:

I hope you get this done because it looks pretty cool. Also I don't think there has been a hack with deep psychological development of characters before.

Thank you very much! I'm glad you're liking the project. And yes, I like writing stories with deep psychological developments, so I'll try my best to insert them into a game. :3

Guess I'll be the first person to say that Fa's portrait is awful. :3

You aren't the first, 'cause the first it's me, lol.

The portrait sprites are still VERY preliminary, I didn't work on them for much time. Will fix them later.

I know, I never sprited before and I still need MUCH improvement in portraits. Any suggestions, though? Simply saying that it's awful doesn't help me much.

Edited by AlfredKamon

heh i would likely be to lazy to make you maps i meant advice mainly

also i would advise you change the portrait thats a soren look alike spriters dislike people editting thier work without permision

finally the conviction that you will finish it is very good

heh i would likely be to lazy to make you maps i meant advice mainly

also i would advise you change the portrait thats a soren look alike spriters dislike people editting thier work without permision

finally the conviction that you will finish it is very good

Thanks again.

Ahah it's alright, then!

Anyway, I didn't "steal" the sprite to anyone, it's just a sprite from PoR resized and edited, that's all.

Well for the portrait advice, where did you get the colors? They seem kinda off, like Fa's lightest color is way too light compared to her darkest.

I...I made them. ^_^" Now I seriously think I'll make a better portrait soon. D:

By the way, by "lightest and darkest" do you mean her "face" color and her "hair" one?

okay that fine also do you want beta testers?

In future yes, I want to make some chapters before.

This shows a lot of potential. But, I have to say:

-The sprites look bad. I hope you're going to edit it to make it look better.

-The plot doesn't seem very generic when it comes to FE hacks. It seems to have potential, and if you pull it off well, it would be great.

-I really think you should use a different battle window theme. I've seen so many hacks use the same background themes from SS, SoS, and FE7, it's annoying.

But of course, I'm just a newcomer at this, so you do whatever you think is best

-I really think you should use a different battle window theme. I've seen so many hacks use the same background themes from SS, SoS, and FE7, it's annoying.

you know what else is annoying?

replacing the damn thing

;/

This shows a lot of potential. But, I have to say:

-The sprites look bad. I hope you're going to edit it to make it look better.

-The plot doesn't seem very generic when it comes to FE hacks. It seems to have potential, and if you pull it off well, it would be great.

But of course, I'm just a newcomer at this, so you do whatever you think is best

Thank you for your comment. I don't care if you're a newcomer, you have eyes to see and a mind to think, so EVERY comment may be of help in improving, for me.

Now, let's answer.

- The sprites still suck and I know it. I've already written it many times here, they're beta sprites, I'll make better ones when I have time.

Also, please note everyone that what you see here isn't definitive at all. It's just a beta version of my hack I made in a hurry to let you see my work so far, and to obtain general feedbacks in order to improve it while-doing.

What I have in mind still is different.

- I will try my best. Also, writing the plot and dialogues is what I enjoy most in this hacking.

- For this one.. I'll try, I've considered that too but it seems a pain in the ass to change battlescreen.

eh this has potental, its up to you to make that potental become alive.

this is a step up from what i've seen but i won't be impressed just yet

Thank you very much.

And just wait, I'll impress you sir, sooner or later.

This hacks looks nice, it shows a lot of potential, and unexpected depth for a FE game, especially since you're a beginner at this (can't say I'm very good either, since I've never even come close to try to hack something xD).

Anyway, aside from what everyone already said, what do you mean when you say "new classes" just a "generic" new lord class or an entirely new roster?

Also I love how Karla suddenly becomes dark mage lord princess. I've been waiting for dark mage lord for a while, it's nice to finally get one!

One question though: How much chapters have you planned so far?

Ha ha dof and mk404 changed the battle background now everyone isn't cool unless they do it too because its so easy ha ha

But seriously this hack is beautiful and I hope it genuinely does have deep psychological development of the characters. For once I'm gonna just say that I wanna play a hack with a good story and that's all I'll care about.

http://i50.tinypic.com/205cdcn.jpg http://i48.tinypic.com/4jx6cx.jpg

These two lines in particular stick out as being very ... disjointed. Like, nobody would ever say that to a bunch of soldiers trying to kill them, and as for the description I'm not even sure what the combination of 'dismal and lunatic' would even be. Everyone's already commented on sprites, so...

and as for the description I'm not even sure what the combination of 'dismal and lunatic' would even be.

I can think of what it might be, but not what it would be :? If I had to choose one word that combines the two in their most seemingly (to me) contradictory forms it would be "Byronic [hero]," with the admission that I have little familiarity with the works of Byron himself. Going by the initial premise I think the word might entail a fair amount of what was intended.

This hacks looks nice, it shows a lot of potential, and unexpected depth for a FE game, especially since you're a beginner at this (can't say I'm very good either, since I've never even come close to try to hack something xD).

Anyway, aside from what everyone already said, what do you mean when you say "new classes" just a "generic" new lord class or an entirely new roster?

Also I love how Karla suddenly becomes dark mage lord princess. I've been waiting for dark mage lord for a while, it's nice to finally get one!

One question though: How much chapters have you planned so far?

Thank you very much. =)

For "new classes" I intended the old roster + some new ones, not only the main lord

lords*

but also some I personally invented and have never been seen (I think).

Yeah I love Karla dark mage too, lol, but I'll change the portrait sprite soon.

I have planned about 20 chapters, but I have the idea to split the storyline in two at a certain point of the story, like in the original Sacred Stones. It won't follow this or that character, though, it will be something deeper.

Ha ha dof and mk404 changed the battle background now everyone isn't cool unless they do it too because its so easy ha ha

But seriously this hack is beautiful and I hope it genuinely does have deep psychological development of the characters. For once I'm gonna just say that I wanna play a hack with a good story and that's all I'll care about.

Thank you very much, I'll try my best in making this interesting. As I wrote in the first post description, I mainly had to tell a story with this hack. I'm not an artist nor a programmer, but in order to reach good results I had to wear those roles as well.

http://i50.tinypic.com/205cdcn.jpg http://i48.tinypic.com/4jx6cx.jpg

These two lines in particular stick out as being very ... disjointed. Like, nobody would ever say that to a bunch of soldiers trying to kill them, and as for the description I'm not even sure what the combination of 'dismal and lunatic' would even be. Everyone's already commented on sprites, so...

It seems absurd at the beginning of the story, but I assure you it will be clearer when you see the following chapters.

Fa is highly contradictory. She has deep thoughts and want to change herself, but she also is irrational at times and enjoy things she will regret later, like killing or having absurd behaviours. That's the "lunatic" part. I could also have used the term "psycho" but it seemed too heavy to me. The "dismal" part is a reaction to her lunatic side, so that she feels depressed and dull because of her actions.

So basically Fa can't control herself and doesn't really know what she really wants. She'll slowly understand it on her path.

I also think that this insane characterization fits her being a Dark Mage Lord.

You aren't the first, 'cause the first it's me, lol.

[/size]I know, I never sprited before and I still need MUCH improvement in portraits. Any suggestions, though? Simply saying that it's awful doesn't help me much.

Little late here, cause I haven't been on SF in a day or two, but basically your colours are totally off. The portrait itself I wouldn't even say is that bad, but the hair colours basically just took the shading and destroyed it. I'd say try recolouring it using someone from vanilla FE's hair colours.

Also, I do think it's good you have a story and a drive to tell it (Not meaning to just spew hate, it has promise if you can fix up the portraits somewhat)

Edited by Jubby